Lt. Commander
I have read online that some MMOs (such as WoW) use caching/paging for textures to minimize load times when changing instances and for textures that are loaded in the distance.

I have 12GB of RAM and am considering using part of it to create a RAMDisk to move my Win7 x64 paging file to it.

I would appreciate it if a STO Developer would let me know whether or not this game uses this feature of Windows and if any possible improvement would be had by doing this.

If there is a benefit, how much space would you recommend I reserve in the RAMDisk for this?

Thank you
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Also read for coh users the Hogg files being ram speed loads, would entire folder need to be in ram or just specific files?
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-07-2010, 12:51 PM
bump (from page 2)
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Jobeleca,

STO does use caching texture caching, but it is also dependent on your video card hardware and driver support more than the Windows 7 pagefile. With full driver support, the textures will be cached directly to your video ram and bypass the Windows page file entirely.

IMO, you won't notice much benefit above 4 GB RAM since the only textures that are cached are the ones needed for your active map. If you'd like to experience faster map transitions, I'd recommend an SSD instead of additional RAM.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-07-2010, 06:15 PM
I appreciate the reply.

Thanks for the tip and I already use a SSD for playing STO (wonderful performance increase in loading), was hoping to find other useful tweaks I could take advantage of.

My video card is an ATI Radeon HD 5770 running their 10.10 driver. I hope to afford going back to nVidia next year, I'm tired of keeping dynamic lighting turned off as even a year later I crash on interior maps if it is turned on.

Do you know of a way for me to check that textures are being cached directly to the video card ram or main ram?
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-07-2010, 06:44 PM
I am currently using an ATI 5870 with dynamic lighting enabled, but I have lowered the maximum lights per object to 2 (instead of 5) and haven't had any issues. YMMV, but it's easiest to test on a map that will quickly reproduce the crash so that you can test stability of your current settings.

There is no way to absolutely confirm if the textures are loaded into video ram or system ram without a debug build, but you can get a general idea of their utilization by monitoring system and video ram use both before and when the game is running. You could try GPU-Z, but it only works sporadically with ATI cards.