Lt. Commander
# 11
12-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker1960
It should be obvious by my asking these questions that I'm not interested in commiting "fraud" or any other dishonesty. If I was, I wouldn't be asking these questions...on a public forum, no less. The insinuation by a couple of folks that I'm looking in that direction is as baffling as it is insulting.
What I've found here, and correct me if I'm getting this wrong, is all the character slots you have on your account can only be used by whoever's name the account is in. Presumably, so a single person could experience playing different characters (one Federation, one Klingon for example). So, if you have more than one person in your household, they would have to buy an additional account.
What I'm still a bit unclear on is if you actually have to also buy multiple games (which can take up a lot of room on the HD!) as well. If you're already paying a seperate monthly subcription fee for each account, I would think everything was paid for. If possible, I'd like a little more clarification by the devs on this.

Not becuase of any sinister plot to "fraud" anyone, but just (I thought) a reasonable desire not to inadvertantly trample over policies and get on their bad side.
no one is suggesting that you are trying to commit fraud or are some evil mastermind but you asked the question and people are providing the facts as they stand. if you share your account you are, whether you realise it or not or agree with it or not breaking the rules . thats just the facts (a fact that i did not know until today either until i looked it up).

now you do not need to install the game a second time you only need one copy of the game on your computer at any one time. BUT you do need the key that comes with the game for the second person. the second person then creates their own unique account with their own log in details. so whilst you have to buy multiple copies you only need one client installed at a time.

you can both use the same client (just not at the same time obviously)
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-03-2010, 12:59 PM
I wonder how many time we can reinstall the game, or if there is a limit?
I have had to do a full reinstall due to PC problems and now the game will not launch- regardless of what PC I put it on. So I was curiuos if the game key has a limit?
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
I wonder how many time we can reinstall the game, or if there is a limit?
I have had to do a full reinstall due to PC problems and now the game will not launch- regardless of what PC I put it on. So I was curiuos if the game key has a limit?
There is no limit on installations of the game client. Your game key can only be activated once on one account. Access to the game depends on your subscription status. If you cancel your subscription and come back later, you only need to pay the subscription fee to get access again (subscription fees don't apply if you bought a lifetime membership).
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
no one is suggesting that you are trying to commit fraud or are some evil mastermind but you asked the question and people are providing the facts as they stand. if you share your account you are, whether you realise it or not or agree with it or not breaking the rules . thats just the facts (a fact that i did not know until today either until i looked it up).
Thanks for clearing that up. The way I read the original replies, it seemed to me the tone was somewhat accusatory. I wasn't questioning the rules, I just wanted to make sure I understood them (and since I didn't, it's good I asked) . Glad to see I read the posts in question wrong.

Quote:
now you do not need to install the game a second time you only need one copy of the game on your computer at any one time. BUT you do need the key that comes with the game for the second person. the second person then creates their own unique account with their own log in details. so whilst you have to buy multiple copies you only need one client installed at a time.

you can both use the same client (just not at the same time obviously)
This right here is the information I was looking for. Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Things in TOS's about not sharing accounts are pretty much unenforceable. There's no way for anyone to find out, especially if it's only people in your own family. There's still a risk to doing it, and there's the major downside of not being able to play together.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-04-2010, 09:44 PM
the tos rules about shareing of account info boils down to this:

if you lose your account, its on your head, you dont get special treatment of a free account with restored character levels and gear, you shared info, someone broke your stuff, its gone.

if someone does something that gets your account banned while they are using it, its gone, they dont repeal bans because you shared info and it wasnt you that got it banned.

so in the end, just dont share accounts, no matter how implicitly trustworthy you think the other party/parties are, its in human nature to always betray backstab and hurt those around you. not to mention drunkeness and drugs getting involved.