Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Seriously, this ability is getting old. I would not mind it if there were a counter to it, but there isn't. The way it's being used is brilliant, I give you that, but man it's old. There is no defense to it. Nothing more fun than having your abilities black out on you for over 10 seconds because it's stacked over and over, and if you still survive it, then a Tricobalt heads your way to keep you blacked out for another 8 to 15 seconds. There is no defense to this unless you are on a team that does it to you first. I never understood why the Devs put CC's in space PvP to begin with, but it's here to stay, so I will live.

I do not mind the ability as a whole, I just think it's worn out and getting a bit old. I see a ship flying at me full speed, I say out loud, "Here comes the Photonic Shockwave...yup, here comes the next one....yup, here comes the Tricobalt...yup. All blacked out, can't prevent the Tricobalt from hitting me. PUGs don't use it, so you have an I WIN button right there. Is it really needed against a PUG? It's too predictable. What makes it even worse, is the fact that even though you *know* it's about to happen, there is very little if anything people can do about it.

It needs a counter to it. Being a sitting duck is old, boring, no fun. Pre-made teams seem to be the only ones to be able to pull this off. You will do nothing but get a couple fast matches, because once people see that they are facing a team full of PS'ers, they generally do not queue back up. Until this ability has a counter (if ever) try and get a feel of your opponents and see if you even need it to win first. It's over kill and has no way out of it. It's worn out. Save it for when you really need it and stop wearing it out.

Trust me, there are teams out there that would obliterate you without it. So save it for those teams when they come out of the woodwork and stop obliterating PUGs with it. The only team that can beat you, is another Pre-Made team that also has the same thing. Then it will just be a big Shockwave Party.

Yeah yeah, tired, sleepy, *****ing.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-14-2010, 01:39 AM
Well.. you allready have a counter against it (Aux 2 Dampeners), and a "fix" for a stun, might make them useless.. Just add that immunity upon expiration

And really.. Every effective skill that is also easy to use, will have tons of users.. Remember when VM was insanely OPd? Same deal.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-14-2010, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraiven View Post
Seriously, this ability is getting old. I would not mind it if there were a counter to it, but there isn't. The way it's being used is brilliant, I give you that, but man it's old. There is no defense to it. Nothing more fun than having your abilities black out on you for over 10 seconds because it's stacked over and over, and if you still survive it, then a Tricobalt heads your way to keep you blacked out for another 8 to 15 seconds. There is no defense to this unless you are on a team that does it to you first. I never understood why the Devs put CC's in space PvP to begin with, but it's here to stay, so I will live.

I do not mind the ability as a whole, I just think it's worn out and getting a bit old. I see a ship flying at me full speed, I say out loud, "Here comes the Charged Particle Burst...yup, here comes the next one....yup, here comes the Tricobalt...yup. All blacked out, can't prevent the Tricobalt from hitting me. PUGs don't use it, so you have an I WIN button right there. Is it really needed against a PUG? It's too predictable. What makes it even worse, is the fact that even though you *know* it's about to happen, there is very little if anything people can do about it.

It needs a counter to it. Being a sitting duck is old, boring, no fun. Pre-made teams seem to be the only ones to be able to pull this off. You will do nothing but get a couple fast matches, because once people see that they are facing a team full of CPB'ers, they generally do not queue back up. Until this ability has a counter (if ever) try and get a feel of your opponents and see if you even need it to win first. It's over kill and has no way out of it. It's worn out. Save it for when you really need it and stop wearing it out.

Trust me, there are teams out there that would obliterate you without it. So save it for those teams when they come out of the woodwork and stop obliterating PUGs with it. The only team that can beat you, is another Pre-Made team that also has the same thing. Then it will just be a big Burst Party.

Yeah yeah, tired, sleepy, *****ing.
just three itsy bitsy points there,

The first, and an important point is that charged particle burst does not have a stun effect, it just removes a fixed amount of shielding from each facing. It is photonic shockwave, which does have the same graphical effect that has a stun and damages hull.

The second, charged particle burst does not have a stun effect, i know this was point one but it was such an important point i thought it worth mentioning twice.

The third if you 'know it is comming' because it always does when you see someone racing towards you then you could pop Aux to Damp and be immune for 15s to the stun effect. I am not as clairvoyant myself, but then i don't suffer from stuns as much either.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-14-2010, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardept View Post

The first, and an important point is that charged particle burst does not have a stun effect, it just removes a fixed amount of shielding from each facing. It is photonic shockwave, which does have the same graphical effect that has a stun and damages hull.

The second, charged particle burst does not have a stun effect, i know this was point one but it was such an important point i thought it worth mentioning twice.

The third if you 'know it is comming' because it always does when you see someone racing towards you then you could pop Aux to Damp and be immune for 15s to the stun effect. I am not as clairvoyant myself, but then i don't suffer from stuns as much either.
Yeah, caught that right before you posted. Tired, mate...very very tired. Ok, Aux to Damp cancles it out? That's fine and all, but does it also cancel out the black out you get from the Tricobalt?
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-14-2010, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraiven View Post
Yeah, caught that right before you posted. Tired, mate...very very tired. Ok, Aux to Damp cancles it out? That's fine and all, but does it also cancel out the black out you get from the Tricobalt?
tbh i have heard that it does, but i have not tried it myself as a defence so cannot answer from personal experience on that.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-14-2010, 01:48 AM
Quote:
tbh i have heard that it does, but i have not tried it myself as a defence so cannot answer from personal experience on that.
One more question...I am not always "clairvoyant" so in a case that one sneaks in on me, will Aux to Damp be available in my abilities when all others are out? Or do I need to predict the Shock-wave before hand?
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-14-2010, 01:49 AM
Quote:

You only "know its coming" when its SV using them, when a group of BOPs use it however.. Its impossible to do anything - You can just sit there, watching 2-3 BOPs one after another declaok and park on your flank and simply chain stuns while murdering your ship.. There is *no* counter to this.

(before you BOP jockeys start quacking - I *know* it takes cooperation to achieve this effect, but that is rather easy when you can sneak into position and simply use it with impunity - Any skill that can immobilize any ship, blank out their commands and simply have them sit and wait to die, needs to be changed somehow - You dont use it because its effective, you use it because its easy *and* effective.)
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-14-2010, 01:49 AM
Quote:
It is a proactive counter, once stunned there is nothing you can do.

Yes, you need to activate before being stunned
Yes, it counters the Tricobalt as well (though not the damage)
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-14-2010, 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelineAaele View Post
You only "know its coming" when its SV using them, when a group of BOPs use it however.. Its impossible to do anything - You can just sit there, watching 2-3 BOPs one after another declaok and park on your flank and simply chain stuns while murdering your ship.. There is *no* counter to this.

(before you BOP jockeys start quacking - I *know* it takes cooperation to achieve this effect, but that is rather easy when you can sneak into position and simply use it with impunity - Any skill that can immobilize any ship, blank out their commands and simply have them sit and wait to die, needs to be changed somehow - You dont use it because its effective, you use it because its easy *and* effective.)

I guess that answers my question, thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-14-2010, 01:54 AM
Charged Particle Burst is awesome. But it doesn't stun.
Photonic Shockwave is awesome, because it does stun.
Chain Stunning is not awesome.
10 second stuns from Tri-Cobalt Mines is out of line.
No reactive counters to stun is sub-optimal.
Temporary resistances to stun after being stunned would be awesome.

Mustrum "Charged Particle Burst, Photonic Shockwave and Tachyon Beam are my top level powers on my Fed Science Captain" Ridcully