Lt. Commander
# 1 Profanity false (?) positives
12-04-2010, 04:00 AM
Can someone explain to me, why I'm guilty of using profane language when putting the following into a dialog:
Quote:
[Rank], it's good to see some Starfleet personnel down here after all. The colony needs some of that future technology from the Voyager to defend itself against the Borg.
I'm not a native speaker, but it appears pretty harmless to me. It's not the reference to Voyager, I tried to delete it, and it still isn't kosher.

A suggestion: It would be nice, if the word/phrase in question would be highlighted, so the author does not have to scratch her head that hard

Regards,
Rachel
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-04-2010, 05:44 AM
I haven't tried it out yet, but my gut is that the game does not allow certain words from the series (such as Enterprise, Voyager, Defiant). It may be registering these "forbidden words" as profanity since the designers didn't bother listing which words aren't allowed for which reasons.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-04-2010, 05:52 AM
You know some of us have had a similar problem with our character bios when we write them in the character generation system. The walk around there was simple. Cut and delete the text from the biography box, load into the game, open character profile and paste text back into the biography box. You problem has no such cure.

I read what you wrote and while the grammar is a little awkward, (far from the worst I have read in official game missions) there is nothing wrong about what you wrote. Since you can reedit it I suggest cutting it into fragments in Notepad or Word and adding it one fragment at a time till it nails you for profanity. That should give you a clue as to which word or word combination the Foundry does not like.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-05-2010, 07:53 AM
I've also got a message a the bottom left of the Foundry saying my mission contains profane text.

I can assure you it does not.

Has anyone every noticed how the phrase "i s n ' t ___ i t" gets filtered out in game for referring to the female upper chest anatomy?

This is ridiculous, Cryptic. Come on, the EULA clearly states that you're not responsible for the text that comes up in game. Sort it out please.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-05-2010, 07:57 AM
Rachel, I believe the answer is as follows:

"d e f e n d ___ i t s e l f ___ a g a i n s t ___ t h e ___ B o r g"

Bloody crazy, isn't it?

Come on, Cryptic. Sort it out. Your profanity filter is the most poorly designed I've ever came across in a game. It's ruining people's Foundry missions!
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-05-2010, 08:03 AM
My mission contains the word "assume".

This is ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous!!!

Edit: Even changing the word "assume" to "presume" (which is totally out of character for this NPC I've created - too posh imo) hasn't removed the profanity message. I've gone through the whole mission and can't find what the problem might be.

This is really disappointing. It's censorship literally gone mad.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-05-2010, 10:51 AM
There are tons of false positives:
"Isn't it" is read as a slang term for breasts
"Assume" can come up as a slang term for the bum
"defend itself against the borg" can come up as an insulting term for homosexuals
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-05-2010, 10:55 AM
The sad thing is, we are being penalised for the behaviour of annoying griefers in so many games before this one. Honestly, whichever nazi created this profanity filter Cryptic are using needs dragging into Stahl's office for a swift rollocking. Look at the fuss it's now causing.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
The sad thing is, we are being penalised for the behaviour of annoying griefers in so many games before this one. Honestly, whichever nazi created this profanity filter Cryptic are using needs dragging into Stahl's office for a swift rollocking. Look at the fuss it's now causing.
It's a family game and both Cryptic and CBS are probably erring on the side of caution.

That said, censorship is silly - especially when it is censoring clean text.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-05-2010, 12:54 PM
I dont have a problem with them censoring whole profane words, but censoring any combination of words that happen to also form the occasional oddity is going too far. If someone wants to swear in the chat panel they'll find a way regardless