Lt. Commander
# 1 Rescue NPC help
12-04-2010, 06:40 AM
One of the elements I am trying to add to a ground map is after defeating a group of Cardassians, I beam hostages back to the ship.

I found a beam out object and set up two cages with starfleet ensigns in both. When I tested it, it didn't work out as I had hoped. After defeating the cardassians, I approach the cage and interact with it. Well, I beam out instead of the captive. Not quite what I had in mind.

Anybody have a suggestion on what I did wrong? So far, I like Foundry. But, this is one obstacle I cannot seem to surpass.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks everyone.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-04-2010, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800lbGorilla
One of the elements I am trying to add to a ground map is after defeating a group of Cardassians, I beam hostages back to the ship.

I found a beam out object and set up two cages with starfleet ensigns in both. When I tested it, it didn't work out as I had hoped. After defeating the cardassians, I approach the cage and interact with it. Well, I beam out instead of the captive. Not quite what I had in mind.

Anybody have a suggestion on what I did wrong? So far, I like Foundry. But, this is one obstacle I cannot seem to surpass.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks everyone.
I would like to know if this option exists also.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-04-2010, 11:11 PM
A little rescue is needed in my mission as well, any word?
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-05-2010, 04:16 AM
Nope.

And not a word out of the developers either. I'm guessing it isn't supported yet.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-05-2010, 04:28 AM
I'd like to know as well. Hope there's a response from anyone that might have any info!
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-05-2010, 04:59 AM
I created a thread similiar, overall is as already said, not supported.

We don't seem to be able to apply interaction as part of an objective to NPC, at all. That includes healing injured NPC which is something I wanted to do.

Just to get the feel for things, I done the healing animation on a random item near the casualty who was wriggling in pain. Can make the interaction with an object, part of your objective and you can apply animation to objectives for beam in out etc.

Actually can we not also do animation for beaming to groups? Can't remember but I do hope this improved as priority because it seriously limits what we can do, missions made before improvement on this will probably be a bit stale.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-05-2010, 05:22 AM
I don't think this is possible yet. However, the animations added to the npc groups are a very recent addition to the toolset, so I expect more and more animations to be added. For this to work, we'd have to be able to interact the npc and apply an animation to them. Right now, the animations apply to us and our ships.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-05-2010, 05:53 AM
I'm happy to work within groups for everything more advanced that just talking to the NPC. It could be good not to over complicate contacts options.

I like working within the groups but that won't work well if we can't change group size. I guess that will come. For example I want a group to follow me, all beam out at once, all suddenly attack at once and so on. Very easy to put individual NPC's in if we can change the group size.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-06-2010, 08:15 AM
I, for one, am miffed that this doesn't work.

One of my pet-peeves about the existing dailies is the numerous missions where you are supposed to "liberate a colony or station". But, there are no NPCs to liberate. Just an empty station or colony with equipment and enemy NPCs.

So, the first mission I was trying to create was one where you would have to rescue NPCs.

My formula was simple:

- You are informed that a group of True Way Cardassians has kidnapped a colony and you need to
liberate it.
- So, you arrive in system where you have to defeat 2 Galors as you approach the planet.
- Galors eliminated, you and your away team beam to the planet where you have to defeat 5 groups of
Cardassians and beam out the hostages.
- Once all of the Hostages have been transported off of the planet, you return to your ship where you
have to defeat a Keldon to complete the mission.

Seemed simple enough, but the third step is where I ran into issues. First of all, I could not place Bajoran NPCs (after all of the bad blood between the Cardassians and the Bajorans, I would think True Way Cardies would love to hijack a Bajoran colony). So, not only could I not find any Bajoran NPCs on the menus anywhere, I could not even beam out the Starfleet Vulcans I chose.

So, Stormshade, if you are reading this, how many people do we need to get to add to this thread for it to be enough people to persuade you to make this an available feature/tool of Foundry?

Mr. Stahl? Anyone?

Thanks for reading.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Well I know we have just started to "test" the foundry system, and that the devs are working on adding more features especially for interaction options with NPC's

Talk to Contact should have
-appears when condition is met (player hails, interacts with something, reaches destination etc then the contact appears)

-ability for multiple communication threads

-an option for an after interaction animation,(beaming out, warping out, scanning them with a tricorder, healing them, etc).

-pathing options (to have them follow the player, or lead the players to a waypoint)