Lt. Commander
# 1 How to place a door?
12-04-2010, 07:56 AM
Working on a space mission with a custom map and before publishing I must place a door. Couldn't figure out how to do this. Any help please.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Define 'door'.

There are only a few doors, and they are interior or ground pieces, so I'm not sure what you need one in space for.

Or are you saying a transition to another map?
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
Define 'door'.

There are only a few doors, and they are interior or ground pieces, so I'm not sure what you need one in space for.

Or are you saying a transition to another map?

Yes when I want to publish it sayst something about custom map transition needs a door.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Look at the tutorial by Kirkfat for transitions. Basically, you just set an objective on the second map, and it will create a map transition dialog box.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-04-2010, 09:49 AM
I've been searching for info on this, and so I'm posting it here because the OP may have the same problem with space doors that I'm having.

I want to make a custom map for a space combat, but it's not any of the predefined locations as the player is the closest ship in range to attack. The "Whole Map" as a door from a sector space map does not seem to work. I can select K-7 as the door for example, and then jump to the custom map, but not to the custom map from sector space.

I want to say that's a bug, but it may be working as intended.

So, to the OP, if you've got the same problem I have, make the door something other than the whole map of the sector space.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Edit:

I have a custom space map.

First contact is in ESD

It says specifically first transition to custom map must specify a door. That is what I can't figure how to do.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Just for clarification on what this "door" is, when you create a mission and someone accepts it, they arent automatically transported to your map. They have to go somewhere in the existing game world to enter into your first mission map, and whatever place they have to go to is the "door" into your mission. Now, you get to choose what that door will be. You can select a ground map and an NPC, or you can select a space map and a star system. Either way, there will be a box in your story section that asks you to choose a door. And you will have to choose a new for any new maps you create(like if you have a space and ground map). You'll need a door to get into your first map, and a second door to get to your second map.

PS: I like to use an existing star system as the door into my first map, and then you'll need to place a marker on your first map as a doorway into a second map(and repeat the process for any future maps.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Stipe
Edit:

I have a custom space map.

First contact is in ESD

It says specifically first transition to custom map must specify a door. That is what I can't figure how to do.
Okay, top left is a drop down of what map to use for the mission start. I selected Eri, but ESD is the default. On the right are a bunch of lists of what "door" to use from that initial map. "Whole Map", the top and default, does not seem to work. Switch it to something else, and that will clear the error. You'll then have to go to that location to start the mission.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Commodore, I think you are being too literal here. By door, you are actually being told you need a way to transition to map, not that you need to set a door to function somewhere. So, say you want the mission to take place, or start on Risa. You could have your contact on ESD tell you to go Risa to meet somebody, then set your meet objective on your Risa (or your ground) map. That will set your 'door' that the editor is telling you is needed.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-04-2010, 11:38 AM
I am having the same problem, the mission is working fin e in the play map option as follows.

I arrive on station speak to contact, beam directly to space area, speak to contact 2, kill people, speak to contact 2 again, beam down and then kill more people. finish mission, but I still can't publish as it states :-

'First map transition to a custom map has to specify a door.'

I am not using custom maps, they are both using default premade map layouts, I have added people to them, but not structures so what is the problem????

Never Min dI have just read the

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...map+transition

thread and realized what my issue was, it wouldn't let me leave from the whole map I had to pick a specific console / area to leave from

thanks to other thread poster