Lt. Commander
# 11
12-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthalas View Post
No use. Without the hability to continue and branch a conversation, I'm useless as a mission builder. I'm a Writer.

:-(

There has to be a way to make an actual conversation take place, and give the player the option to say this or that, with it branching into other dialogs and sentences for him to choose at, and with the possibility to make that produce an event.
Not in the current iteration of the Foundry that's on Tribble atm. You can have Dialog boxes pop up with thext from various craracters one after the other if you like (it progresses to the next Diaolg popup after the player character hits the response you write for him - so you can have characters 'conversing that way if you like); but you can't give the player character multiple response options to select from at the moment.

When you are at a mission door and have a starting dialog pop up window; the 'Not now' choice is auto generated by the Engine for you and you have no way to edit/change that currently.) I hope they do allow player character dialog branching soon too, but right now, it's not availabl;e for the Foundry.

I was saddened to read that you can't send the Player back into sector space to have them travel to another in game star system door to continue the same mission; and be able to test that it works prior to publishing.

IMO if you've done any real coding or scriptiong before the Editor is pretty intuitive; and I've discovered a lot just by fooling around, testing, tweaking, and so on; but I do hope dialog branching and the ability to send a player back out into Sector Space and to another door (with the ability to test and make certain it works PRIOR to having to publish to get said door functionality) comes soon.

That said, it is pretty robust with a little ingenuity and can do decent stuff right now (the 'iunable to load map - nternal server error" issues not withstanding.)
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-06-2010, 05:51 PM
As mentioned by several other posters, we don't have branching dialog available yet. However, we do know it's something you guys want, and it's fairly high on the team's list of features to add in.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor

Cryptic's Official walkthrough:

http://www.startrekonline.com/foundrywalkthrough

My unofficial thread with Video Tutorials:
Your "unofficial thread" link makes it start a reply in stead of going to the thread...
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-08-2010, 03:28 PM
The Foundry needs many more tools in the box or we will be bored with it in a week making all these "generic genesis missions"
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardalpha2clearance View Post
The Foundry needs many more tools in the box or we will be bored with it in a week making all these "generic genesis missions"
We have been told since UGC was confirmed as a feature that the initial build of the tools would be extremely basic. Why is it so hard for some of us to accept that?

I think a lesson worth learning comes from the old classic DOOM editing community. There was no scripting. No adding in new elements without replacing something. All you could do was make new maps and populate them with the same monsters and weapons as the official content had. And yet some pretty amazing stuff was developed by the community.

Those who truly learn the foundry and how to effectively work within the limits will find that people will enjoy their work. Sometimes, guys, the glass really is half full...
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefertari View Post
Your "unofficial thread" link makes it start a reply in stead of going to the thread...
Fixed.

It doesn't relate to the OP but it is something that people requested.