Lt. Commander
# 91
12-05-2010, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralChase
I played WoW from beta until seven months ago. I don't look back on it through rose-colored glasses. The game was rubbish at launch.
Especially if, as the OP obviously does, you care about PVP. Until literally years after launch, in WoW:

- You got no XP for PVP, couldn't use it to level
- There were no PVP scenarios/battlegrounds
- There were no rewards for PVP in terms of gear

PVP had only one use for the first year+ of WoW, and that was griefing. You went to Crossroads or Southshore or Tarren Mill and killed all the quest-givers, the flight master so people would be stuck, and any lowbies dumb enough to accidentally flag. Then you corpse camped them. And you got nothing out of it but the satisfaction of ruining other peoples' day.

PVP in STO at launch is where PVP was in WoW about 3-4 years in. Does it need to improve? Absolutely. Does it need a lot more variety? Yep. Is it light years beyond what WoW had at the same time frame? Oh yeah.
Lt. Commander
# 92
12-05-2010, 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralChase
If you could go back in time and look at those websites at the time of WoW's launch, you would plainly see that the sites also had tons of advertisements for the game.

If you think for one second that video games don't buy their ratings, you're living in a fantasy-land, and should be playing WoW anyway. STO was rated on its gameplay, rather than the amount of money they shelled out for advertising. WoW on the other hand, bought their ratings.

I played WoW from beta until seven months ago. I don't look back on it through rose-colored glasses. The game was rubbish at launch.
Back around launch of WoW there was also a load of BAD reviews of it, that's one of the reasons why RPG Codex was pretty much banned from the entire community site of WoW and several others. Anyone that shelled out any type of negative comment on WoW was either ridiculed or fired from the more popular review sites.

Blizzard has something a lot of other companies don't have: cold hard cash. Like AdmiralChase already said, games like World of ******** don't *earn* their ratings, they *buy* them. Cryptic didn't have the cash to buy any type of positive publicity so they got creamed on the popular review sites. And yes, STO on launch wasn't very good, I'm more then ready to admit that and even now STO still has it's issues but at least the devs are working on it and they've been open with the community here about that also.
Lt. Commander
# 93
12-05-2010, 05:23 AM
No matter what online game you play, someone always compares it to WoW, a game that I played a few classes to level 20, or therabouts and walked away wondering what all the fuss was about. That's my opinion and I'm perfectly entitled to it. However, WoW isn't the be-all-and-end-all of MMO's and to compare all MMO's to WoW is like comparing Elephants to Rhino's, sure they are animals and are both grey and live in the same place, but they are different creatures and we know this.

STO is not WoW and was never meant to be WoW. People that come here expecting WoW are in for a world of dissapointment. There are no goblins in space and your level 3 master level sword has no place in the noisy vacuums of space. We don't compare Star Trek movies to the Chronicles of Narnia, so stop doing it here. There thats that off my chest.

Star Trek Online, when released was bad. The fact that It had some A-list celebs boosting it probably did it more harm as people were expecting great things. If it had been released as a mediocre MMO with no great promise it would have probably got some good reviews and peoples opinions would have been different. It would have developed slower as money would have been less but it would have fewer, but more content players. However, it decided to throw money and promote it with celebs and it decided to go the way of the blockbuster, which unfortunately it couldn't contend with.

It can now. Nothing can tell you more about what a game should be than its fans and players. Cryptic has done all the right moves since it opened and since Dstahl has taken over I have seen this game go from being moderately enjoyable to being second only to food. STO will never have the 11 million players of WoW, and to me, that's a relief.
Lt. Commander
# 94
12-05-2010, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny42 View Post
There are no goblins in space and your level 3 master level sword has no place in the noisy vacuums of space.
we do have space elves and the epic sword of kahless
Lt. Commander
# 95
12-05-2010, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanagrah
You may love the game, Cryptic and all their staff but at least talk realistic, STO has been a total and utter disaster, pick any forum on any site and see what people say about this game, it's 90% bad and thats why I and all my friends left. I want it to be good, thats why I am here, trying to offer suggestions, it's just better if we all talk as realists and stop being so abusive tbh.
Not bashing you here... but you should also know that 90% of what is posted on any forum is negative, whining, or complaints. People with good things to say usually dont post. Only those looking for an outlet to vent.

With that said I 100% aggree with your second sentance I quoted. Thats why Im still here as well.... I like what I have seen of this game SO FAR. Im willing to give it a year or two to mature. But I will say I had a fleet of over 30 ACTIVE players (and 20 or so that came in and out) for the first few months this game was out. Im now down to 3-5 ACTIVE players (meaning they play at least every other day) ......

STO is fun.... but the grind does tend to get old.
Lt. Commander
# 96
12-05-2010, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm_dragon View Post
Well you have a lot of diametric opinions in this thread so I'll toss mind in.

If you are a hardcore power gamer, you will never be happy playing STO. There I said it and I'm not taking it back, most Power gamers know this and avoid STO like the plague, those who hang around seem to do so just to complain about something that really isn't going to change. That doesn't mean that STO doesn't have it's audience and a healthy one at that...it just means that audience isn't comprised of hardcore gamers. Myself and everyone I play with (which is a considerable number of folks ) have their complaints, but not having enough to do isn't one of them.

The last three Trek conventions I attended about 3/4 of the attendees I met also plays STO. The game may not have reached the average MMO games demographic, but it has a strong mature community that isn't going anywhere any time soon. I get that hardcore gamers have this atavistic need to be at the top of the food chain on every MMO out there, but guys as the genre matures that just can't be sustainable.

If you don't have much to do now you're not going to have much to do in the future, and adding gank at will zones will only amuse you for about a month maybe two. STO is fine, it probably just isn't your type of game.
You're right, that hardcores won't be happy with STO, but you're wrong about why.

It's really quite simple why hardcores/powergamers/whatever you want to call them won't come to STO, or why the ones already here have left - there's NOTHING whatsoever to entice them. STF's would have given them SOMETHING to do, but Cryptic screwed that up by not fixing the ones there are, abandoning future development and then promising to make them soloable, thereby making it so there's no point in grouping. None of these solves the actual problems with these missions, but they did this because the loudest voices in this community don't think there should be ANYTHING that is truly difficult in it's base form in this game.

There could be a thriving hardcore community in STO if it weren't for how truly immature the community as a whole really is. Look at STF's as proof - people cry all over the boards about how they can't find a PUG for STF's, knowing they aren't meant for PUG's. People cry all over the boards that the closest thing to raid content in STO needs to be soloable, even though it's supposed to be raid content. People cry all over the boards that the four missions - FOUR! - in this game that are hard are actually hard, and they shouldn't be hard, even though every other piece of content doesn't require any effort whatsoever to get through.

What does Cryptic do? Instead of standing fast and actually supporting what they created by fixing the problems with the content, streamlining it a little bit and doing more to support group play from the beginning of the game, they're going to make them easier and soloable, and they'll most likely make it so the rewards are the same, because that'll make the same people who complain about STF's now complain again.

What you don't understand is that a game with no direction and no viable PvE endgame is unsustainable, just as hardcores needing to be the sole focus of a game is unsustainable.
Lt. Commander
# 97
12-05-2010, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWinkie View Post
Not bashing you here... but you should also know that 90% of what is posted on any forum is negative, whining, or complaints. People with good things to say usually dont post. Only those looking for an outlet to vent.

With that said I 100% aggree with your second sentance I quoted. Thats why Im still here as well.... I like what I have seen of this game SO FAR. Im willing to give it a year or two to mature. But I will say I had a fleet of over 30 ACTIVE players (and 20 or so that came in and out) for the first few months this game was out. Im now down to 3-5 ACTIVE players (meaning they play at least every other day) ......

STO is fun.... but the grind does tend to get old.
If CO is any indication, at least it'll be F2P in six months.
Lt. Commander
# 98
12-05-2010, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
we do have space elves and the epic sword of kahless
And green women in tiny bikinis. I do love those you know...

P.S.: We need more tribbles!
Lt. Commander
# 99
12-05-2010, 06:11 AM
If I were to renovate my home I think there would be enough of these pointless, useless, threads to use for insulation. Can all of you just give it up already? The game is improving and those of us who are here playing it, actually enjoy it. Either accept that or GTFO.
Lt. Commander
# 100
12-05-2010, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny42 View Post
It can now. Nothing can tell you more about what a game should be than its fans and players. Cryptic has done all the right moves since it opened and since Dstahl has taken over I have seen this game go from being moderately enjoyable to being second only to food. STO will never have the 11 million players of WoW, and to me, that's a relief.
Thank the stars for that. 99% of the reason I stopped playing WoW was not the gameplay, but the playerbase.

Quote:
If I were to renovate my home I think there would be enough of these pointless, useless, threads to use for insulation. Can all of you just give it up already? The game is improving and those of us who are here playing it, actually enjoy it. Either accept that or GTFO.
There wouldn't be so many of these threads if people stopped stating their opinions as facts. But yeah, you'd be able insulate your home with enough left over to wallpaper my house.