Lt. Commander
# 101
12-05-2010, 06:31 AM
I just wanted to clarify my views on wow and sto. It may be mis-interpreted.

It's definately unreasonable to expect the same. It's a different game, genre, and more importantly, a hell of a lot less money to put into it.

However, I think that it's reasonable to look on wow for suggestions and I sincerely hope that developers will not have too much pride to ignore obvious improvements. For example, if in the future they add a bunch of task forces - great! They may decide to impliment a dungeon finder system that is similar to ********, so people can find groups quickly without broadcasting chats. That's just one example.

It all depends on our attitude. To ignore ********'s success is to be in denial. Nobody here expects this game to live up to the giant business that is blizzard. However, it is possible and healthy to look and see what they're doing right.
Lt. Commander
# 102
12-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardassianNinja View Post
I just wanted to clarify my views on wow and sto. It may be mis-interpreted.

It's definately unreasonable to expect the same. It's a different game, genre, and more importantly, a hell of a lot less money to put into it.

However, I think that it's reasonable to look on wow for suggestions and I sincerely hope that developers will not have too much pride to ignore obvious improvements. For example, if in the future they add a bunch of task forces - great! They may decide to impliment a dungeon finder system that is similar to ********, so people can find groups quickly without broadcasting chats. That's just one example.

It all depends on our attitude. To ignore ********'s success is to be in denial. Nobody here expects this game to live up to the giant business that is blizzard. However, it is possible and healthy to look and see what they're doing right.
While I do not want a WoW clone, (and I doubt CardassianNinja want's one either), this was well said. I don't think it would be a good thing if STO ever got as big as WoW. The Devs would quit listening to us for starters.
Lt. Commander
# 103
12-05-2010, 07:20 AM
Why would anyone want WOW in space, WOW is now a terrible game, but as one poster and myself already stated, WOW has some really good features that would work very well in STO. One of them is a PvP Faction v Faction zone, it's great because all the people that hate PvP need never enter the zone so they have literally no reason to oppose such a zone in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 104
12-05-2010, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanagrah
Why would anyone want WOW in space, WOW is now a terrible game, but as one poster and myself already stated, WOW has some really good features that would work very well in STO. One of them is a PvP Faction v Faction zone, it's great because all the people that hate PvP need never enter the zone so they have literally no reason to oppose such a zone in STO.
And, as has been already stated, Cryptic is working out some ideas on an open PvP zone with star system capture. So it's coming; just not right away. It might be in Season 4 or 5, or maybe even 6.
Lt. Commander
# 105
12-05-2010, 07:38 AM
I have to admit that after I leveled my first toon all the way I found no real reason to play every day. And im a huge Trek fan who would love nothing more than to have a very immursive Trek game ...but the game got old..and fast.

Sadly...all but 2 of the 10 or so ppl I played with never came back. I admit that with the weekly missions and cool story arcs I have come back in...but really only to play the specific new content. After the new content is done...its back to being quite booring. The fact that we have no real impact on the game world means there is nothing to fight for and nothing to look forward to other than grinding.

I think the recent changes have been massivly great additions...but I think the way the game was set up from the beginning was the key flaw. You really dont experience Star Trek...your just a capt of a ship grinding to the next ship and the Trek world is sooo much more than just that simplistic element. This game had and still has th epotential to be great. With the Trek world as popular as it is there is a ton that Cryptic can still do. I hold out hope that the game will continue to get better...but , honestly, there are not too many players who have not felt what the OP is talking about.

As for the WOW stuff..I hate WOW...but Trek has one of the biggest fanbases on the planet and has more available content and IP for years of ideas. With all that at thier diposal...there is no reason to compare to WOW...the game simply could have been done differently, been a very unique game, and been a trendsetter all its own. Thats what I suspect Trek fans were expecting at least.
Lt. Commander
# 106
12-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanagrah

None of us want WoW in space. I highlighted the part that CardassianNinja and I insinuated. That is exactly what I meant by persistant PvP by the way. Only take it a step further where zone control by either faction has benefits for that faction. Spread that amongst multiple shards that reflect the rank of the toons in them and average the result for a faction PvP buff. That way those interested or inclined to PvP will enter the zone when a broadcast that said zone has fallen to the opposing faction comes across their display. That way a persistent PvP zone can use reward/loss to motivate players to jump in and fight.
Lt. Commander
# 107
12-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Every game has it's highs and lows.... That's not going to change. Games with a "PvP purpose" aren't immune to the lows. Look at SWG, the GCW is a huge part of the game, and faction control of planets DOES impact the rest of the game, it also has open PvP zones. However, that not withstanding, you can still stand in one spot in SWG for hours and not see another living soul.

Content is everything, be it beginner, intermediate or end-game content, there still has to be something to keep people interested. SWG hasn't had any MAJOR for over 5 years, and 2 dogs fighting over the same bone isn't going to hold anyone's interest.

Now, I agree that STO's PvP is too compartmentalized, the current system isn't meant to be able to support massive PvP, it is going to take time to implement.

I don't see a low population really, I can go stand anywhere and run into people, even places like K7 usually has a few people running around.

Why does it appear to people that STO can't hold players? Because that's the way they want to see it, a lot of people complain to complain, there are those that are never happy unless THEIR vision comes ot pass, and of course there is the power leveller, who would be bored wherever they go.

The OP states he levelled to max and purpled out in 5 weeks.... To me that is dedication, I don't think I could have done it, at my play rate it took me about 2 or 3 months to max level, and a bit longer to purple out my main char.

Lastly, everyone needs to ditch WoW and go play it's big brother EQ2 (just a personal preference, it's like watching anime, do you want the Funimation version or the original dub?), it came out in 2004 and will release it's 7th expansion in Feburary.
Lt. Commander
# 108
12-05-2010, 08:29 AM
The problem with PVP in this game is it like the pve content has to feel like Star Trek otherwise the core audience (trek fans) won't be into it. If you are going to go into battle against an enemy faction there needs to be a story behind it. Something that ties into the Trek universe. Games like WOW don't have to deal with this because there fans haven't been around for 40+ years.
Lt. Commander
# 109
12-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUL_EVEK
The problem with PVP in this game is it like the pve content has to feel like Star Trek otherwise the core audience (trek fans) won't be into it. If you are going to go into battle against an enemy faction there needs to be a story behind it. Something that ties into the Trek universe. Games like WOW don't have to deal with this because there fans haven't been around for 40+ years.
WoW really does have story behind its conflicts (aside from Arena). People really do get into debates about the moral claims in the battlegrounds.

Alterac Valley in WoW is a great example of how to do it (and, in some cases, what not to do).

The entire map sortof tells a story and there are a lot of story based mechanics there.

The biggest fault is that its various iterations over the years tend to be too long or too short.
Lt. Commander
# 110
12-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
STO doesn't have the budget of WoW and never will. WoW has so much money rolling in that they can produce tons of stuff, plus they have a 5 year head start. STO was always going to be a niche game, with a niche development budget. Unfortunately that means it takes a while for things to get done.
Guys, the issue is not that they haven't done it YET. You are talking like it's some sort of thing that's gonna happen someday and we're just chomping at the bit. The issue is that THE STUFF WE'RE TALKING ABOUT ISN'T EVEN PLANNED. As in, it's not a priority for them. As in, it's not in their game design. As in, not even under discussion.