Lt. Commander
# 171
12-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphicZoid
Welcome to the dwindling 20% catagory. Best wishes to you wherever you end up.
Well he will probably end up playing a game worth his time.
Lt. Commander
# 172
12-08-2010, 12:16 PM
the 20% wouldn't be diminishing if there was more **** to do than just blow up your enemy 15 times.

The top 20% keeps diminishing because there is absolutely no pvp content. No incentive to pvp (asides from emblems), no benefit for winning, no special rewards. Almost all the major pvp fleets that have left have left because there is no incentive to pvp other than blowing up your opponent.

If you left because the enemy was too strong or because of an imbalance, you're part of the initial 80% that gets cut out of pvp by the initial 20%.
Lt. Commander
# 173
12-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
Except a very small number of people would play in that environment. the number of people who would and the development dollars invested in such a thing is not cost effective. That money would be better spent on features a majority of players would use.

This is one of those things where the 80/20 law comes into play. spending development resources to satisfy 80% of the players makes a lot more sense than spending it on to satisfy a declining 20%. Hence the reason why it has not been done. It might be in the future but not any time soon.
I don't think you can honestly back that statement up at all (and I'm not a big PvP fan by any stretch); and I do think an open (and optional) open Space PvP sector block would be an excellent use of Dev resources.

FYI - Using your logic they shoould either have never started th STO Crafting System or spent any further time ungrading and improving it as no one was really using it. My point? More varied options that support various playstyles is a good thing for ANY MMO - and I daresay that one open PvP Space Sector with some faction objective (that perhaps gives a small PvE bonus to the faction that has said objective under control - Blizzard has done this in a few open PvP WoW zones - would be seen as a welsome addition by a lot of players; and might draw some PvP players to STO.
Lt. Commander
# 174
12-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffttflesh View Post
Well he will probably end up playing a game worth his time.
Perhaps a PvP game. I hear there are many out there. Unklike this one.
Lt. Commander
# 175
12-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Don't worry there are plans in the works. Snix seems to think rewarding winning will help. There are also more then a few devs pushing hard to implement some open PvP. Shouldn't be too much longer I don't think.
Lt. Commander
# 176
12-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Or a game with more than 3 things to do.
Lt. Commander
# 177
12-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithborn
the 20% wouldn't be diminishing if there was more **** to do than just blow up your enemy 15 times.

The top 20% keeps diminishing because there is absolutely no pvp content. No incentive to pvp (asides from emblems), no benefit for winning, no special rewards. Almost all the major pvp fleets that have left have left because there is no incentive to pvp other than blowing up your opponent.

If you left because the enemy was too strong or because of an imbalance, you're part of the initial 80% that gets cut out of pvp by the initial 20%.
It is nice to see I am not the only one who sees this. I thought I was going crazy for a second.
Lt. Commander
# 178
12-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxbad
Repeating a flawed premise does not validate it.
Not using critical assessment skills does not mean an opinion is invalid.

People argue in forums. You are allowed to disagree with me but an opinion that does have backing and support that you don't agree with does not make that opinion wrong simply because you want it to be. It only means you don't agree with it. That is the magic of an opinion. It is a wounderous thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
I don't think you can honestly back that statement up at all (and I'm not a big PvP fan by any stretch); and I do think an open (and optional) open Space PvP sector block would be an excellent use of Dev resources.

FYI - Using your logic...
Back it up? now why would I have to do a thing like that in these forums? almost every argument p[resented around here, a lot of them Cryptic takes to heart, does not have all that much backing. The dev guys know who Scott Jennings is. They know of his work. They can agree or disagree with him, his assessment and the proven validity of his "formula".

Generally when I post here, though I may be directly talking to a player chatting here I am always also addressing the dev staff directly. It's called meta-discourse. The devs are my actual audience. In this case I know they know what I am talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxbad
FYI - Using your logic...
You were, at best misappropriating "my logic". The reality is you were using your own manufacture of blatant false logic to make is seem as if I have a weak argument, when I do not. Just because you do not know my sources and what they mean does not make my stance flawed. Again, the devs know where I'm coming from and that is all I need.

Now that y'all have done your best as have I it is time for me to move on. Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 179 Just to add
12-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Yes STO can't hold on to its players, i agree. i am about to leave STO due to the lack of EVERYTHING. There isn't anything new in season three thats going to grab people. i am sorry cryptic but i probably thinking about playing another Large space MMO (not going to say what one) There is nothing new... Yeah sure there is some new things but thats not going to hold onto many people. i have topped everything i can in the game and now i don't have anything to do. so cryptic you need to find a way to keep your members in the game. i run a fleet with 500 members and i have seen so so so so so so many members leaving the game.
Lt. Commander
# 180
12-08-2010, 02:08 PM
The way I see it, you will be bored in any MMO at the highest level. Other MMO's offer raids and dungeons. Some people find it enjoyable running those instances 100 times on each of their 10 characters. To me, it is a boring, monotonous grind.

"Where do I want to be bored?" is the real question. For me, I'll stay being "bored" here. No other game on the market is as attractive to me at the moment.