Lt. Commander
# 181
12-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Hi all
Ive played the game now for a short period of time, but very intensive. Im already at Vice Admiral and of course I agree with some of the critic put forward on this forum by other players, but not with everything and absolutley not with the level of it. STO is pretty new, give them a chance for god sake! Look at all changes and new stuff they bring forward. Even since Ive joined there are much happening and if the guys at cryptic isnt totaly lying (Wich I dont think they are), the future holds a long term plan that really suits the Star Trek fans. "More like Trek" or what not.

I have so far had a great time playing and Im not at all disappointed. A bit repetitive at VA rank and with some types of missions, somthing I know they are working on, still a great game that I want to play every day. Uniforms, ships etc. Beats *** WoW and WH-AoR as wich Ive played even thou I dont like steriotyped fantasy.

I think some of you guys here seem a little to bothered and impatient with it all?!

I think maybe to much non constructive trashtalk, does more harm then good if you want the game to develop and prosper. The guys making suggestions and ideas on how to enrich the game and plying are doing the right thing and Ive noticed that they are not the same people that trashtalk and "hates" on the forum.

If cryptic keeps doing what they say they are doing I never going to leave. Many people will leave, some becouse they find other games or if they are not keen on Star trek to begin with but com on...If you really a trekkie-How can you? Where will you go to live out your fantasies? Where else can you go where no man has gone before in a smashing looking federation starship? I belive however that many new fans will join the game and that old players will return. Just hang in there.

Sorry about the lousy english, Im from Sweden.

Live long and prosper
Lt. Commander
# 182
12-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphicZoid
Welcome to the dwindling 20% catagory. Best wishes to you wherever you end up.
Oh please... Categorizing my dissatisfaction with the lack of open PvP as fulfillment of a predicted dissatisfaction with a yet to be determined form of PvP is simply self-serving rhetoric. I'll take a pass on the passive-aggressive "best wishes".
Lt. Commander
# 183
12-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
Not using critical assessment skills does not mean an opinion is invalid.

People argue in forums. You are allowed to disagree with me but an opinion that does have backing and support that you don't agree with does not make that opinion wrong simply because you want it to be. It only means you don't agree with it. That is the magic of an opinion. It is a wounderous thing!
Great. Now that we've established that you expressed an opinion and not a fact, I have no issue.
Lt. Commander
# 184
12-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qiri View Post
The way I see it, you will be bored in any MMO at the highest level. Other MMO's offer raids and dungeons. Some people find it enjoyable running those instances 100 times on each of their 10 characters. To me, it is a boring, monotonous grind.

"Where do I want to be bored?" is the real question. For me, I'll stay being "bored" here. No other game on the market is as attractive to me at the moment.
Well 6 years later and I am still playing SWG. I have been playing WoW for about 3 years, and EQ2 for about 2 years and I still play those games. my SWG sub is up, my EQ2 sub is up ( even though it is free now) and I plan on resubbing WoW after the first month of "omg an expac came out,hectic server lagfest". I haven't gotten bored of any of those games. I even still enjoy ***, I just don't want to pay $100 on mmo subscriptions anymore, so I will only keep 1 or two open at a time. And as of right now, STO is on the bottom of my list to resub. I created a demo account and will probably keep it open, but I am more inclined to reactivate my *** account before my STO account.
Lt. Commander
# 185
12-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erg_Noor View Post
Hi all
Ive played the game now for a short period of time, but very intensive. Im already at Vice Admiral and of course I agree with some of the critic put forward on this forum by other players, but not with everything and absolutley not with the level of it. STO is pretty new, give them a chance for god sake! Look at all changes and new stuff they bring forward. Even since Ive joined there are much happening and if the guys at cryptic isnt totaly lying (Wich I dont think they are), the future holds a long term plan that really suits the Star Trek fans. "More like Trek" or what not.

I have so far had a great time playing and Im not at all disappointed. A bit repetitive at VA rank and with some types of missions, somthing I know they are working on, still a great game that I want to play every day. Uniforms, ships etc. Beats *** WoW and WH-AoR as wich Ive played even thou I dont like steriotyped fantasy.

I think some of you guys here seem a little to bothered and impatient with it all?!

I think maybe to much non constructive trashtalk, does more harm then good if you want the game to develop and prosper. The guys making suggestions and ideas on how to enrich the game and plying are doing the right thing and Ive noticed that they are not the same people that trashtalk and "hates" on the forum.

If cryptic keeps doing what they say they are doing I never going to leave. Many people will leave, some becouse they find other games or if they are not keen on Star trek to begin with but com on...If you really a trekkie-How can you? Where will you go to live out your fantasies? Where else can you go where no man has gone before in a smashing looking federation starship? I belive however that many new fans will join the game and that old players will return. Just hang in there.

Sorry about the lousy english, Im from Sweden.

Live long and prosper
If we seem bothered and impatient it's probably because most have us have been waiting years and years, some of us over 20 years, for an MMO or a massive online 3D game based in the Star Trek universe and using the Star Trek IP. So we have been waiting....and waiting.....and waiting. We have watched all of our Voyager season 1 DVDs, TNG season 7 DVDs, and DS9 season 1 online, over and over waiting....waaiittiinng for a Star Trek MMO game. In 2003 STar Wars gets an MMO, and we get a small glimmer of hope, but alas no sign of a STar Trek MMO. And then, one day....

Low and behold a Star Trek MMO is announced!! Praise Kahn! So after we cream our pants, we wait some more, waiting for any screen shot, detail, piece of info we can get about the game. After a few setbacks, a company change over, some release dates being pushed back, low and behold Feb 2010 the game FINALLY launches. The moment all hardcore Star Trek PC gamers have been waiting for.........and then we log in and play the game.

Have you ever seen a fast food commercial, or any restaurant commercial on TV or online or anywhere, and saw something that looked SOOOOOOOO good? So finally one day you go to this restaurant and order this food you have been dying to try because it looks SOOOO good on TV? And then they server it to you and you see the food and you're like ".....uh...wtf is this? This looks nothing like it did on TV....bleh..well I am hungry so this will do I guess..." Have you ever had that happen to you ever in your entire life? Times that by 14,569.0937. That's how we felt.
Lt. Commander
# 186
12-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffttflesh View Post
If we seem bothered and impatient it's probably because most have us have been waiting years and years, some of us over 20 years, for an MMO or a massive online 3D game based in the Star Trek universe and using the Star Trek IP. So we have been waiting....and waiting.....and waiting. We have watched all of our Voyager season 1 DVDs, TNG season 7 DVDs, and DS9 season 1 online, over and over waiting....waaiittiinng for a Star Trek MMO game. In 2003 STar Wars gets an MMO, and we get a small glimmer of hope, but alas no sign of a STar Trek MMO. And then, one day....

Low and behold a Star Trek MMO is announced!! Praise Kahn! So after we cream our pants, we wait some more, waiting for any screen shot, detail, piece of info we can get about the game. After a few setbacks, a company change over, some release dates being pushed back, low and behold Feb 2010 the game FINALLY launches. The moment all hardcore Star Trek PC gamers have been waiting for.........and then we log in and play the game.

Have you ever seen a fast food commercial, or any restaurant commercial on TV or online or anywhere, and saw something that looked SOOOOOOOO good? So finally one day you go to this restaurant and order this food you have been dying to try because it looks SOOOO good on TV? And then they server it to you and you see the food and you're like ".....uh...wtf is this? This looks nothing like it did on TV....bleh..well I am hungry so this will do I guess..." Have you ever had that happen to you ever in your entire life? Times that by 14,569.0937. That's how we felt.
Yeah... Expectations were Waaayyy to high for this game from the get go.

Especially seeing how the behind-the-scenes work, played out during it's development..

I guess I'm at an age where my expectations are balanced by years of previous disappointments with the Trek franchise...

...but every once in a while They manage to surprise me...

Over the last few months, I have been very plesently surprised.

The positive thing though was when I started playing about a month after public release, it was a lot quieter around here.
Lt. Commander
# 187
12-09-2010, 12:10 AM
[quote=Roxbad]Great. Now that we've established that you expressed an opinion and not a fact, I have no issue.[/QUOTE

removed some how quoted the wrong one
Lt. Commander
# 188
12-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxbad
Oh please... Categorizing my dissatisfaction with the lack of open PvP as fulfillment of a predicted dissatisfaction with a yet to be determined form of PvP is simply self-serving rhetoric. I'll take a pass on the passive-aggressive "best wishes".
It was heartfelt. But passing on it would have been not responding, just saying.
Lt. Commander
# 189
12-09-2010, 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffttflesh View Post

This explains alot to me why some are disapointed. Maybe I dident have this big expectations to begin with and was just to happy to be playing the Star trek world? I have some experienses with MMO RPG but not at the level some of you guys have, that could be another explenation to why I dont feel robbed. Im also a bit old compered to many players who probebly demand a very high standard compered to other MMOs etc. I grew up with Amiga 500 and comandore 64, Nintendo etc so compere to that both WoW and STO is nothing short of a mirical

However I still love the game and are extremly exited when it comes to the changes coming along with season 3, 4 and 5.

I hope you guys dont give up and that you stay with me to see STO grow up to be what you expected.

I have faith to belive, in STO
Lt. Commander
# 190
12-09-2010, 04:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
It's quite easy why people don't end up staying in STO.

1) Repetitiveness: Keep doing the same missions day after day, especially with multiple characters, it becomes boring. Exploration missions are really terrible with this.

2) Fast Climb to High-End: For a hardcore player this can be easily done within a few days. They hit high-end, do everything, grind emblems and equip their characters and that's it, nothing else to do.

3) A war without a war. Territoral PvP on multiple fronts would really add to the emersion of actual war and give players a reason to fight.

4) Socializing: Outside of Earth, there is very little communication and very little reason for players to socialize. The return of the STFs might get some people to gain friendships for a little while at least.

These are a few things I view as STO's flaws.
1) Correct
2) Correct - Especially with Foundry coming i just dont understand why they dont really whack up the SP needed to level up , if it takes 4times longer to level then the player will probably be around 4times longer. Plus if you spend a long time leveling you get attached to your toon and dont want to waste all the time and effort you have put into it by just leaving.
3) SPot on - this game desperately needs territorial pvp zones without a doubt , it something end gamers can continue to do , like me many dont do these dailys that are like sticking needles in your eyes lol
4) Correct gain - Social Zones/Hubs dont work in STO as no effort has been put into the likes of Risa etc.