Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 41
12-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Will STO ever get close to WoW's sub numbers? No. (And hell, with what I read of later, neither will SW:TOR for that matter.) But, remember, this MMO was not designed to compete with WoW (with 1/10 of WoW's development budget and 18 months initial development time, there's no way it could, and Cryptic and CBS realized this); but as of right now, it's doing well enough to sustin it's development team and costs AND still turning a profit for Cryptic/Atari; and that's all it has to do to remain open and online. Personally, I think it's a better game then WoW was at 10 months, and the Dev team shows no sign of slowing down (which is a good thing.)
You left out the biggest reason why STO won't have WoW numbers: Its not scheduled for release in Asia. More than 80% of WoW's posted sub numbers come from Asia.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 42
12-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanagrah
Star Trek lends itself far more to PvP than PvE and if you can not recall a Single episode that would lend itself to PvP then you clearly have not watched much trek.
Actually, you've got it backwards. A trek episode is about 45 mins long, and out of all those minutes only 10(at the most) were pure combat. The rest was non combat dialogue and activities. There was NEVER an episode of Trek that had more pure combat time than non combat time. Now, between PvE and PvP, PvE is the only form of gameplay that has both combat and non combat parts to the missions. That being the case, PvE resembles the format of the Trek episodes more than PvP does, since PvP is 100% combat all the time.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 43
12-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMiracle View Post
You left out the biggest reason why STO won't have WoW numbers: Its not scheduled for release in Asia. More than 80% of WoW's posted sub numbers come from Asia.
Not to mention the fact that there are more fantasy fans around the world than sci fi fans.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 44
12-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Star Trek Online is not the most popular MMO in the world, and it probably never will be. Star Trek is not focused on combat, but on Exploration, discovering the unknown, and working as a team to be able to solve problems. That last part is what I think is missing from STO, but it definitely is getting better. Every update the game gets better, and with the current Weekly episodes, the Stories that are being told are on par, if not better, than many Star Trek episodes. I think that we will see STO get better, it will take time, Cryptic doesn't have the vast resources bigger companies have, but they have ingenuity, and they talk to the players and ask what WE want. While many others just say "here what your going to get, and your gonna like it." That right there is great thing.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 45
12-04-2010, 04:11 PM
I disagree with the OPs assertion that STO is losing money and subscribers, pretty much with the same reasons that others have already been pointed out.

I agree with the OPs assertion that open PvP zones would be awesome and would be beneficial to the game and subscriber base. A lot of people (me inclded) don't want to wait 10-15 minutes to queue for a 5 minute PvP match.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 46
12-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanagrah
I bought the game on release and levelled a Klingon to max, I quit the game 2 weeks later along with all my m8's.

I returned 5 weeks ago and have since levelled up a Fed Science officer to max level, kitted the ship out with purple weapons and equipment and am pretty much ready to quit the game again..

So you maxed out a Fed Science Officer in 5 weeks? Perhaps if you spread out your playing time you would enjoy the game more. I agree that an open PvP sector would absolutely ROCK. I'm looking forward to it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 47
12-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanagrah
I made the mistake of mentioning WOW, I apologise, so much hate towards a person that mentiones that game.

All I am saying is I would like a neutral zone for open PvP and I gave a pretty good suggestion as to how that zone would work and all I get is abused, called childish and told to go play another game, then the same poster calls me m8 and says he is not having a go, it's unreal, what an awful community.

It's funny how it's always the ones that start off trash talking that get offended over the responses they get in return.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 48
12-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
It's quite easy why people don't end up staying in STO.

1) Repetitiveness: Keep doing the same missions day after day, especially with multiple characters, it becomes boring. Exploration missions are really terrible with this.

2) Fast Climb to High-End: For a hardcore player this can be easily done within a few days. They hit high-end, do everything, grind emblems and equip their characters and that's it, nothing else to do.

3) A war without a war. Territoral PvP on multiple fronts would really add to the emersion of actual war and give players a reason to fight.

4) Socializing: Outside of Earth, there is very little communication and very little reason for players to socialize. The return of the STFs might get some people to gain friendships for a little while at least.

These are a few things I view as STO's flaws.
+1 to this post in its entirety. The game design just isn't there. Their model seems to be content, content, content but on a FUNDAMENTAL level the supply of content will never match the demand. On top of that, somehow they've only recently come to the decision that they can't keep up with the crowd, hence the Foundry just getting into beta.

But STO still doesn't provide an immersive experience that people are looking for (immersive planets, working consoles/widgets on bridges, cooperative "sim-style" play, a true sense of Starfleet, etc) and somehow dstahl (CBS?) has the mindset that it's either not a priority or not a moneymaker which explains the half-heartedness of the ship interiors.

The bottom line is this game has no roadmap whatsoever and I can't figure out if that's Cryptic's fault, dstahl's, or CBS's. There's no GAME design, but they're all about CONTENT and pumping it as fast and furious as they can and many folks just go ape for it. Why do any more than that to satisfy a vocal minority? It's enough shiny to get by and just pray for more people to come back for the weekly shiny.

But the shine soon fades, and the reality of tedium sets in...and that's the dangerous point for Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 49
12-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardassianNinja View Post
I support the developers, and I understand the situation that they are in. There are simply not enough staff to keep up with content that can even think to compare to the more popular mmos.

But I understand what the original poster is saying. There isn't much to do. It's just a fact. There's no reason to get offended by that statement. It's not the developers' fault, they are doing the best that they can with a small staff.

I think we can all agree that this game was released too early. I'm afraid Cataclysm will eat into subscription numbers, but I hope that one day star trek will be all it can be!
There wasn't much to do in WoW when it first launched either. If the devs waited until they had the same amount of content that other MMO's have been active for years we'd never see a game get launched.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 50
12-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekrit_Agent
But STO still doesn't provide an immersive experience that people are looking for (immersive planets, working consoles/widgets on bridges, cooperative "sim-style" play, a true sense of Starfleet, etc) and somehow dstahl (CBS?) has the mindset that it's either not a priority or not a moneymaker which explains the half-heartedness of the ship interiors.
And we all know that Dstahl has an unlimited budget and millions of employees available at his beck and call to work on everything at the same time.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:55 PM.