Lt. Commander
After the first map we can't have our players use sector space...after the first one, then it is
instant direct transfers to the next map.

It would be VERY nice to be able ...as an option.. to be able to attach any map to the game doors so
If we want them to manually fly to the next location via sector space...we can.

MEOW :p
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-05-2010, 05:58 PM
I completely agree, my current mission ends with returning refugees to ESD and it's very immersion-breaking to suddenly travel from Risa to Earth...
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-05-2010, 06:23 PM
wow. If that's the case, you just hit on exactly what I was having a problem with while trying to put together a mission. Was about to bug it, but I figured I'd check the forums first.

Here's what I'm doing:

I'm working on a mission that starts with going to Memory Alpha, where you talk to someone, then interact with a terminal.

I have it set up so that there should be a pop up from my bridge crew, but that isn't happening at all. Bridge crew is supposed to tell you that from there you are supposed to leave Mem Alpha to fly to another system for the rest of the mission.

Instead it's acting as if the mission is ending after the interaction with the terminal and there's nothing further to do.

I thought I was doing something wrong, but apparently I'm not.

Hope I'm not hijacking your thread, but I'm wondering if what I am experiencing is a result of what you're talking about.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Seems like we're all having similar problems which could be solved by allowing the placement of "doors" within our maps, and allowing those doors to lead into non-UG areas (sector space, ESD, MemA etc.).

This problem is ruining the mission I'm working on too
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenaut
I'm working on a mission that starts with going to Memory Alpha, where you talk to someone, then interact with a terminal.

I have it set up so that there should be a pop up from my bridge crew, but that isn't happening at all. Bridge crew is supposed to tell you that from there you are supposed to leave Mem Alpha to fly to another system for the rest of the mission.

Instead it's acting as if the mission is ending after the interaction with the terminal and there's nothing further to do.
Talk to Contact -> Pop Up Dialog (Optionally) -> Interact with Object -> Pop Up Dialog (Optionally) -> Go to System Via Location -> Action on Custom Map.

You can also continue to use the "leave through" map options to transfer from multiple points - but only until you transfer the player onto a custom map. Once the player is on a custom map, it seems you no longer can interact with where your player has to enter from -- Unless your objective takes place on an existing zone.

IE:
Contact on DS9 -> Go to Door to go to custom map -> Map events -> Interact with Object/Talk to Contact on DS9.

The creation of the interact/talk to objective allows you to create a transfer back into "real" space. This allows you to create another "transfer through" point that uses a location in space, or on a station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai_Juin
I completely agree, my current mission ends with returning refugees to ESD and it's very immersion-breaking to suddenly travel from Risa to Earth...
You can route around this by creating a new objective to talk to one of the default NPCs on Earth Space Dock. This will allow you to have the player fly back to Sol System, talk to the NPC, and use that as a "hand off" to complete the mission by saying that NPC is the person in charge of checking in the rescued NPCs.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiTataki View Post

IE:
Contact on DS9 -> Go to Door to go to custom map -> Map events -> Interact with Object/Talk to Contact on DS9.
Can I just ask you how go from your map to going back to DS9? I've been trying to fathom this all day and I can't seem to do it. I'm aware of the theory - making the objective in DS9, but there seems to be no way to transport from the custom map to DS9 and it's driving me crazy. You have a door TO the custom map, yes, but the problem we're having is there is no way to place a door that leads FROM the custom map and back to the public Cryptic-created maps.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-05-2010, 07:06 PM
if you create an objective to talk to an NPC on DS9, you can set up a map transition from whatever map you're on to go to DS9. This also means that you'll need to create a popup dialog with mission instructions.

Lets say the mission was to kill some NPCs on a map, and then talk to some NPCs that you were rescuing:

Talk to Contact -> NPC Bob.
Bob: Thank you for saving us!

Pop-up Dialog: Engineering Officer (Ship), Military
We are ready to beam you and the away team aboard, Captain. We should bring them back to Deep Space 9.
[missionInfo]Return to Deep Space Nine in blahblahblah.[/missionInfo]

At this point, you create the objective:
Talk to Contact -> NPC So and So on Deep Space Nine map.

This creates a map transition point between the Pop-Up Dialog and the Talk to Contact - DS9 that will transition.
The player's mission Dialog will now be set to go to DS9 as instructed by your configuration fro the Talk to Contact objective.

I don't believe, however, that this will prompt a beam out dialog. So your player just needs to know to go to DS9 manually by beaming out, which is going to need to be accomplished by the above in the Return to DS9 dialog.

You could further clarify it by saying "Beam out and return to..."

This is me purely working off my prior knowledge of working with multiple transitions. I haven't tested it, but to the best of my knowledge, mission tracking should continue after you beam out unaffected.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-06-2010, 12:49 AM
That's about what I figured.

It's pretty ridiculous to be using the transporter to get from one side of a door to another lol

Oh well. Bugger this Foundry lark until we've got more control over it. I'm not making missions that make players think "why can't I just use the door that's right there on the wall? The one I used to get in here in the first place."

It really does highlight the fact that this game was designed for one type of mission only - go kill some stuff and beam back to the ship.

I expect more of my role-plating games. Much more.