Lt. Commander
I quit playing for a long time, and am trying to stick with the game since starting to play again. Lots of the changes I have grasped and adapted to. I'm having trouble getting my head wrapped around this one : something that is a tractor beam or looks like a tractor beam.

A familiar story : I fly a cruiser into a 2 on 1, maybe a 3 on 1. The fight is going good, I can keep up with their damage if I play well. Then, the first 'tractor beam' or 'tractor beamISH' stabs out. All my BO powers are inactivated and I'm stuck. I take crazy damage I can't keep up with and boom goes the weasel. I've gone through the log more than once but nothing stood out saying "Mr Spork has done 12,000 kinetic damage" or somesuch.

I respeced and added polarize hull 2. It doesn't work...and BO abilities are inactive anyway. I did try hitting it ahead of time with uneven results.

I tried adding power to structural 2, and power to dampeners 2. Neither made much of a difference. I actually had more luck with the extra shield heals (power to shields 1,3 + two sit and rotate shield frenquency).

I'm missing something, or doing something wrong. Anyone know of the cuff what it is?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie223
I quit playing for a long time, and am trying to stick with the game since starting to play again. Lots of the changes I have grasped and adapted to. I'm having trouble getting my head wrapped around this one : something that is a tractor beam or looks like a tractor beam.

A familiar story : I fly a cruiser into a 2 on 1, maybe a 3 on 1. The fight is going good, I can keep up with their damage if I play well. Then, the first 'tractor beam' or 'tractor beamISH' stabs out. All my BO powers are inactivated and I'm stuck. I take crazy damage I can't keep up with and boom goes the weasel. I've gone through the log more than once but nothing stood out saying "Mr Spork has done 12,000 kinetic damage" or somesuch.

I respeced and added polarize hull 2. It doesn't work...and BO abilities are inactive anyway. I did try hitting it ahead of time with uneven results.

I tried adding power to structural 2, and power to dampeners 2. Neither made much of a difference. I actually had more luck with the extra shield heals (power to shields 1,3 + two sit and rotate shield frenquency).

I'm missing something, or doing something wrong. Anyone know of the cuff what it is?
You are getting hit with SNB (SubNucleonic Beam). It frags all your BO's powers for a length of time.

About the only things that counter it are Science Team and the Omega skill.

The former helps a little the latter seams to help a lot.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Is the beam color bluish or more purple? Is it putting a visual effect of a clock over your ship when it first hits?
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-04-2010, 12:49 PM
I think this is more likely to be Photonic Shockwave. It has a 3 km AOE range, and it deals kinetic damage and stuns you for 2 seconds.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenChina View Post
I think this is more likely to be Photonic Shockwave. It has a 3 km AOE range, and it deals kinetic damage and stuns you for 2 seconds.
Sounds like this. PvPers spam this a lot, generally alternating between individuals. A coordinated team can lock you down pretty much indefinitely.

One counter is Auxiliary Power to the Inertial Dampeners. It makes you immune to the stun along with the knockback.

I'm not sure what other counters there are.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie223

You got hit with a Tractor Beam + Tricobalt Mine Combo.

When you get hit with a Tricobalt Mine, it gives a 10 Second Mine Stun that makes all your BO's unusable for the duration. There is no counter except to take it out the mine or excape the tractor beam before the mine impacts your ship.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
You got hit with a Tractor Beam + Tricobalt Mine Combo.

When you get hit with a Tricobalt Mine, it gives a 10 Second Mine Stun that makes all your BO's unusable for the duration. There is no counter except to take it out the mine or excape the tractor beam before the mine impacts your ship.
Aye, could be this as well.

As in all PvP in all games, stuns are your path to power, with roots being right behind them. Basically, anything that controls how other players play are going to be the top abilities to use.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-04-2010, 05:33 PM
You got off light.

Here's a typical PvP match:

A pack of at least 3 BoPs attack me, decloaking from behind of course! I get hit by SNB, beam target engines, weapons, shields, tyken's rift and just to make sure a few tractor beams.

Then I just don't respawn until the match is over. I might try one more time.

PvP is fun!
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thlaylie View Post
You got off light.

Here's a typical PvP match:

A pack of at least 3 BoPs attack me, decloaking from behind of course! I get hit by SNB, beam target engines, weapons, shields, tyken's rift and just to make sure a few tractor beams.

Then I just don't respawn until the match is over. I might try one more time.

PvP is fun!
Yup, this is pretty much how it goes when it isn't carrier ****.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-04-2010, 08:19 PM
I can't even see the Carriers with all their spam so I didn't mention them.