Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 41
12-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Does anyone remember when the breen cold debuff that would stack up to cause insta-death from the next cold dmg hit? You know how it was fixed? Cryptic added a cold debuff immunity to the cold debuff so that it couldn't stack up. I think the same thing needs to be applied to stuns, give stuns a stun immunity buff so that people can't stack stuns. I don't accept the argument that stun stacking is difficult & therefore is a legit tactic. Frame counting in Mortal Combat was hard, but if you did it, it landed a combo with no possible counter. Yes it might be difficult for my opponents to coordinate enough photonic shockwaves to make me unable to shoot down a tricobalt mine, but the fact remains that they can take someone out of a fight for 14-16 seconds with 2 photonic shockwaves & a tricobalt mine. That is a long time for a smaller ship to be out of a fight. Sure a cruiser or carrier might be able to do it. Every MMO since Everquest has had stun immunity on stuns to prevent stun-spamming why not STO? If you crunch the numbers, theoretically a 5 sci ship/5 Bird team could keep a target stunned for 2 thirds of the time it's in combat. Again this team would have to be perfect on timing to get a 66% downtime on a target, but that is no excuse, because even a crap team could achieve 7 seconds of stun if they messed up and everyone was 2 seconds off on timing. More than enough time to lay down a tric mine & get him with a 10 sec stun again. -TSI- is notorious for these tactics. My hat is off to them because they are excellent players.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 42
12-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thlaylie View Post
Unless of course you fly a TER, that extra commander slot has been nerfed by the same people who make PvP unbalanced. You can of course sacrifice CRF 3 for APO, but that's not really a choice.
Actually it is a choice.

Thats how I carry APO, by not carrying CRF3. I don't really miss the DPS as getting a kill is mainly just good timing. But then I just PUG in PvP anyway YMMV.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 43
12-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Danger
Actually it is a choice.

Thats how I carry APO, by not carrying CRF3. I don't really miss the DPS as getting a kill is mainly just good timing. But then I just PUG in PvP anyway YMMV.
It's possible to carry AP:O1 and CRF3 in any escort / raptor / BoP, you guys can choose it. It's what I do and it works just fine for me (CSV3 instead of CRF3). AP:O1 is sufficient, but I normally reserve it for tractor breaks or the odd EWP. I reserve AP:B for damage boost.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 44
12-07-2010, 02:38 PM
While I think temporary stun and hold immunity/resistances are a good way to go, no one should believe that this will take away from the power of the top tier PvP fleets and players. They will just move to the next thing.

I had the honor of flying with and against TSI in non-full premades at least. It was fun seeing them. (I might seem singling out TSI here, but it was the first time I really was able to watch what was going on and get the necessary awareness of what was different from the average PuG) They didn't just use some "bad touch spam". That might be the currently most effective tactic or not, I don't know (I don't think I fought a science-heavy team then, in fact when I joined them for a few matches, I was the Science guy). But you could also see what kind of tight formations they could fly. You could see their escorts carefully matching speed with enemy Cruisers. If you have see other skilled PvP players (since TSI is far the only one), you will see similar things. Coordination. Situational Awareness. Outmaneuvering.

Even if you take away all the BO powers in the game and have us duke it out with phasers and photon torpedoes only, this will still be one of their advantages. They will have an entire group of ships in your back focusing fire on your aft shield, and "you" won't have the same going for you, meaining your team takes t he first losses and it will get progresively worse. Unless you do exactly the same thing they do. Train tactics, gain experience, master your ship.

My second character was a Tactical Captain. It took me until two weeks ago that I actually bothered to experiment with switching my throttle setting. previously I was just looking for the highest defense bonus and that was it. Silly me, I suppose. But I bet I am not alone. And certainly I know that I still suck at it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 45
12-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thlaylie View Post
I LOVE Polarize hull.

I have a BoP with PH AND HE!

Can't do that on a Fed ship!

This demonstrates the severe unbalance between the factions nicely.
the more and more i listen to you the more i think you dont know what you are talking about.

you DO realise that EVERY fed ship has at LEAST 1 Lt science officer at Teir 5!?!?!?!?!

and since BOTH hazard AND polarize are ensign skills, you can easily take Polarize hull 1 and Hazard Emitters 2.... (or vice versa)
its just that easy!!!

and not every klingon ship has universal boff stations... only the Bird!

on top of all this,
if you are too stubborn to take polarize hull and hazard, and want to use hazard and another science skill...
you can always take AP Omega 1 if you are an Escort or an Excelsior...

so... um... yeah...
you are WRONG...
about a GREAT many things

for instance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thlaylie View Post
Unless of course you fly a TER, that extra commander slot has been nerfed by the same people who make PvP unbalanced. You can of course sacrifice CRF 3 for APO, but that's not really a choice.
my fed escort uses Rapid fire 3, rapid fire 2, and APO 1.
is APO3 better then APO 1? ... slightly.
however APO1 defeats ALL roots and holds, adds 30% damage, lots of defense, and a 5 second movement buff!!!
that is a LOT for a lvl 1 power, and i STILL have high DPS from CRF3 and CRF 2!!!
so no... its not as black and white as you would have us believe.
you can have your "pew" (cake) and eat it too! :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thlaylie View Post
No you can't make any improvements in that match because the same people who spam holds also camp the respawn point.
...

Make the game F2P and it might be different.
this is utter nonsesense, and thing one has nothing to do with the other.
both feds and klingons spawn camp... and all sorts of officer classes do it.
not just sci-crowd-control builds.
in fact, quite the opposite!
many cruisers and DPS ships like spawn camping because they can crank out constant damage!
the crowd control guys that stun... they NEED the elemnt of suprise for their "combo" to work.
the minute they are in a spawn point, their combo is done and they have to fight "conventionally", which they are probably not good at. (or spec'd out for)

i'd lose the conspiracy theory there bub...
i spawn camp quite a bit!
and i dont use trics, tractors, shockwave or ANYHTING like that!
i, like many players, wish to simply disrupt an enemy formation befoe they can organize!
and if you dont think feds do it... hang out with Oov for a day or two!

ALSO...
making the game F2P will NEVER solve ANY balance issues!
in fact they will become MUCH worse.
the only way devs and GMs give a care about the game is if the game is still profitable!
like planetside and many other games before it, the minute a game is F2P, the developer and GM resources will become VERY scarce!
like in past seasons, when something is overwhelmingly considered by the CUSTOMER community to be unfair, it will be addressed and corrected!
why? its just good business!!!

additionally...
until neverwinter, this is cryptics "cash cow" game!
it will NOT be F2P under ANY circumstances for the next 12 months minimum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thlaylie View Post
Because they are all rabid elitist PvP'rs that want to force me to quit so that their continuous supply of unwitting prey doesn't dry up from reading the truth in my posts?
NO... not at all...
i WANT players like you to continue to play!!!
WHY?
because you do not have a basic grasp of game mechanics and that makes you an EASY kill!
your lack of game understanding makes you a valuable asset!
YOU are the weakest link... and if you are in any PvP party, you will be an asset to your enemy!!!

This thread started out as a player asking about a game combo and possibly ways to counter it!
there have been MANY knowledgable players who responded in ernest and gave many possible answers AND solutions...

so far you have done nothing but create a negative and combative envirnment in a thread that has nothing to do with most of the things you are talking about!

please ask for F2P and other things on your adgenda in another thread that is more appropriate...
or do your best to keep up... and contribute something positive to the discussion!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 46
12-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx4th View Post
It's possible to carry AP:O1 and CRF3 in any escort / raptor / BoP, you guys can choose it. It's what I do and it works just fine for me (CSV3 instead of CRF3). AP:O1 is sufficient, but I normally reserve it for tractor breaks or the odd EWP. I reserve AP:B for damage boost.
But.. but APO3 is shinier!

I didn't realize or think that you could get the same effect from APO1 vs tractors as APO3. Thanks for the info.

*rushes off to look at a new Raptor build*
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 47
12-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Danger
But.. but APO3 is shinier!

I didn't realize or think that you could get the same effect from APO1 vs tractors as APO3. Thanks for the info.

*rushes off to look at a new Raptor build*
db (2 thumbs up)

I'd be honored to fly with you in defense of the Empire!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 48
12-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Danger
But.. but APO3 is shinier!

I didn't realize or think that you could get the same effect from APO1 vs tractors as APO3. Thanks for the info.

*rushes off to look at a new Raptor build*
I never thought of this as well for some reason....my BOP just got a bit better me thinks . good info all around in this thread thanks to the many contributors who gave positive constructive feedback.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 49
12-07-2010, 10:53 PM
boo hoo Klinks did this or did that.....


I know some fed fleets that do the same thing and there are a nightmare to fight with their tactics..
Look how they play...learn... and buy some tissue.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 50
12-07-2010, 10:57 PM
Sorry to have bothered.

I have a Klink now, it is much much easier to rank up and all missions are pretty easy using that faction.

I was not aware that APO I was also Tractor resistant.

I'm off to try it out.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:47 AM.