Lt. Commander
for once i will make this short and sweet without my "customary wall of text"

Tricobalt stuns are strong, and arguably necessary...
along with shockwave.

however the stuns last for a long time.
stic torpedos are so bad, and niether are shockwaves...

but tric mines can last from 10 seconds all the way to 15 or even 20
(yes i have been stunned for 20 seconds and NOt hit with anything else, just one tric mine)

but mines are hard to hit people with...

so instead of arguing about "proper stun times"...
lets look into STO's past with the old SNB!

how about when you get hit by a tricobalt mine or torpedo, you are unable to use your Boff's, as it is now...
BUT, you can still fire your weapons!

as it is now you can still move when you get tric'd!
therefore, if you crew is not too stunned to move, its reasonable to say they are not to stunned to return fire! just not some sort of speical fire... just your run of the mill "shoot em with phasers scotty!"

shockwave seems fine as its duration is 2-3 seconds.

but what tric uses LIKE about the tric stun is its ability to prevent players from chaining their boff abilities... to "disrupt" conventional game play.

but not being able to do anything is pretty bad!
keeping movement and adding the ability to fire may make the tric more toerable without taking away from its primary purpose!

another solution would be to not allow firing of guns, BUT allow certain key boffs to be used... like crew teams or EVASIVE MANUEVER only!

just some ideas on how to make a formidable weapon a little less acceptable without pulling it's "teeth"
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Oooor...

We could just leave it the way it is, and you could find a second of your time to:

1. Target and destroy the mine using:
a.Fire at will
b.Scatter volley
c.Spread
d.Photonic shockwave
e.manual targeting
f.tractor beam repulsors
g.any spacial anomaly
h.warp plasma
i.pretty much ANY ability that even does the TINIEST bit of damage at ALL...

2. Just, I don't know... fly around it?

This argument goes nowhere, seriously. The fact of the matter is, if anyone is able to actually hit you with just ONE of these mines, I say they are a freaking superstar for even trying, and a GOD for succeeding, and completely DESERVE their 10 second stun. If your flying blindly into mines, or find yourself not even looking for them at admiral level, then perhaps you should alter your build or way of thinking. In PvP, I have played well over 50+ matches at admiral level with several Alts, both fed and Klingon... and I have been hit ONCE by these mines. Funny enough it wasnt even from a player, but from a fekhri frigate dropping one in a random location and I happen to be looking behind me when I ran into it...

Interesting post script to that story, after I got hit with the stun... nobody noticed. So I litterally got off scott free and continued on my merry path.

It's NOT overpowered.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-05-2010, 11:18 PM
So the mines last too long but the torps are ok?
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-05-2010, 11:59 PM
^ Tricobalt Torpedos don't stun any longer than a second or two.

IMHO, Cryptic does need to do something about the abuse of Tricobalts and even Chroniton Mines. I figure two possibilities:

1) Remove the Tricobalt Stun and increase the odds of Chrontion Mine procs.

or

2) Keep the Mine Procs, but players would must be fully skilled in that Weapon-type in order to use them.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-06-2010, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
^ Tricobalt Torpedos don't stun any longer than a second or two.
Then the mines just need thier stun time shortened to 5 seconds then to balance them out.
Yay! Problem solved.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-06-2010, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Then the mines just need thier stun time shortened to 5 seconds then to balance them out.
Yay! Problem solved.
^^This

/signed
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-06-2010, 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Yay! Problem solved.
3 seconds.

Frankly, anykind of stuns in Space is stupid. Given the quick pace of PvP its easily exploited.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-06-2010, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treagersama View Post
This argument goes nowhere, seriously. The fact of the matter is, if anyone is able to actually hit you with just ONE of these mines, I say they are a freaking superstar for even trying, and a GOD for succeeding, and completely DESERVE their 10 second stun.
I have been hit by mines that never even properly rendered on my screen due to the sheer volume of pets currently around.

I have also been stunned by OTHER abilities that keep you from doing anything in a chain long enough for the tricobalt mine to activate and hit me, with no ability for me to fire at ANYTHING, let alone the mine.

Thus, at a minimum, I think in addition to reducing the stun time on tricobalt mines to 5 seconds tops, ALL space stuns should proc an immunity to additional stuns for 15-30 seconds from about a second after the initial stun hits. This removes the "chain stuns to the point where they can drop a tricobalt minefield around you and you still can't shoot at any of them" issue.

And don't tell me to just fly around the tricobalts, because I can counter that with being tractor beamed during my stuns. No movement, no abilities due to the stun, no ability to get away.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-06-2010, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwz View Post
I have been hit by mines that never even properly rendered on my screen due to the sheer volume of pets currently around.

I have also been stunned by OTHER abilities that keep you from doing anything in a chain long enough for the tricobalt mine to activate and hit me, with no ability for me to fire at ANYTHING, let alone the mine.

Thus, at a minimum, I think in addition to reducing the stun time on tricobalt mines to 5 seconds tops, ALL space stuns should proc an immunity to additional stuns for 15-30 seconds from about a second after the initial stun hits. This removes the "chain stuns to the point where they can drop a tricobalt minefield around you and you still can't shoot at any of them" issue.

And don't tell me to just fly around the tricobalts, because I can counter that with being tractor beamed during my stuns. No movement, no abilities due to the stun, no ability to get away.
Yes, this is an effective way of putting those mines on you, BUT its not something easily done.. ITs a combination of multiple skills, which all boils down to getting that mine to hit you.. The stun might be too long, I certainly always think so when Ive been hit by them.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Reduce the time of stun from the mines to 5 seconds.