Lt. Commander
# 1 Game Subscription
12-04-2010, 10:02 PM
This may or may not have been answered elsewhere, but I've been unable to find it any didn't spot any mention in the documentation about it.

I already bought the game awhile back and played briefly. If I bought a new copy of the game can I use the game key to get 30 days on my current account, or will a game key only work for a new account? Considering it has been cheaper for some time to just buy the game rather than pay for a subscription, I am sure I'm not the only person wondering this.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-04-2010, 10:17 PM
account keys give new accounts 30 days, so you could just keep buying 5$ copies of the game and making new accounts 30 days at a pop, but theres no way to use those account keys on an existing account for free game time. you need game time cards or a cc ect.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Also keep in mind that the '30 days' of game time that comes with the Retail Key only takes effect AFTER a game time card key, or subscription information is entered.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Thanks Khan. Considering Amazon has been selling the Collector's Edition of STO for $9 shipped, no tax, for over a month now I was suspecting it wouldn't be that easy. Otherwise they would've sold out long ago. The other editions are even cheaper now.

Edit: Thanks Grouchy! I did forget about that...
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-05-2010, 12:44 AM
actually, all you have to do is sign on to your account and enter the key that came with the game. for the STO collector's edition, it will add 30 days into your account. you don't need to create a new account each time you use a key.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-05-2010, 01:58 AM
Well, here's the conspiracy theory, STO's figured out that the existing stock of STO retail boxes prices are starting to fall below US$15, down to US$10 on the average, so STO players are starting to buy the retail boxes BOTH for the 1 month subscription, AND get bonuses too (which kills C-Store sales).

Hence STO retail boxes are starting to run out, Walmart STO boxes have been recalled apparently, and other supplies of STO boxes may become limited in the future...

At least, that's my theory!