Lt. Commander
# 11
12-05-2010, 03:29 PM
They said a while ago that being addressed by title, like altering shipboard crew uniforms, is something being looked into/worked on, but that what is currently in the game wasn't designed to support it.

So supposedly it will happen, but it's not a major priority so don't expect it soon.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Lol - I agree 100% with the OP with regards to the whole Rear Admiral lower half bit. RA is sufficient, get rid of the "lower half" bit. And bring in a "Fleet Captain" rank if you won't do Commodore - that rank exists. Might as well use it.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
They said a while ago that being addressed by title, like altering shipboard crew uniforms, is something being looked into/worked on, but that what is currently in the game wasn't designed to support it.

So supposedly it will happen, but it's not a major priority so don't expect it soon.
They actually said that? Very nice to hear.

I also want to point out that I don't just want it to be the brief "Admiral" or "Rear Admiral" but also to allow for everything from Torpedo Target <name> to Captain <name> (some of us want to STAY Captains FOREVER, you know!)

And NO I do not have a character named Janeway. That was just a joke, eh?
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorSTAFF
They actually said that? Very nice to hear.

I also want to point out that I don't just want it to be the brief "Admiral" or "Rear Admiral" but also to allow for everything from Torpedo Target <name> to Captain <name> (some of us want to STAY Captains FOREVER, you know!)

And NO I do not have a character named Janeway. That was just a joke, eh?
It's been addressed a few times. Here is one of the earliest responses by Dstahl (from when Rear Admiral Upper/Lower was still just on Tribble)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Quote:
Just throw in a new variable! one for "displayed rank" one for *actual rank*
There's close to 1000 or more instances of the dialog wildcard {RankName} and in many cases it is used in conjunction with other wildcards such as "{RankName}{LastName}, we are in need of assistance. And in other places it is used as "This weapon can be equiped by {RankName}". So a global search and replace "may" get 90% of the cases, but then there will be 10% where it makes no sense or leads to misleading information. Then when you add in the fact that it will cause a relocalization pass on every dialog, it gets tricky.

We're looking into it and know how to address it in the code... it just takes time and resources to implement.

Source
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Quote:
I wonder how easy or difficult this one is actually to fix.I suppose that all old dialogues will need to be reworked to support such a change.
Spent an hour running around talking to various devs today trying to get a good solution for this...

We're working on it... we realize it is odd in dialog... but want to stay true to the established ranks. We have a few options to pursue and we'll get it taken care of.

Source
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
You named your character Janeway? :|
Uh... didn't everyone? After all, we know as soon as she got home, she retired and started popping out babies like no tomorrow.

How else would you explain all these descendants of hers?:p
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Fortunately "Vice Admiral" is short enough not to be too irritating, so atleast you shouldn't be stuck with those long titles for very long.

But I agree, unless it has to be formal, why can't they call you commander or admiral? Theyve allowed us to use a nickname instead of a full name for our Captain and crew for the purpose of shortening the text, so why not rank and possibly ship? (as having your fleet tag or a letter after your ship name in conversation does look out of place)
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor12345 View Post
"Greetings, Moist Janeway!"
Thanks for putting me off my breakfast.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Oh come on, its not like Kathryn Janeway of Star Trek would be the only person/character to be named Kathryn Janeway.

Just as James T. Kirk is not the first nor the last James T. Kirk
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-06-2010, 09:45 AM
I believe the OP didn't just want it shortened to Adiral, but rather wanted the ability to select from her earned titles.

I like this idea, because I roleplay that I am a first officer, and want to keep being addressed as commander even as I level.
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic_Foodie
I believe the OP didn't just want it shortened to Adiral, but rather wanted the ability to select from her earned titlesl.
Correct.

I want to stay Captain. Or be an Attache. FOr me, Admiral is ho-hum.