Lt. Commander
# 21
12-05-2010, 08:36 PM
this has been asked for sever times now, by me alsoif i remember right, was asked for since beta.
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-05-2010, 08:41 PM
I think it has potential.

I also, believe that what has kept it out so far is all the comparisons to Champions.
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-05-2010, 08:43 PM
It was actually Picard v. Damon Bok. Sad really. Shinzon only hated Picard because he existed.
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by laladiel View Post
this has been asked for sever times now, by me alsoif i remember right, was asked for since beta.
Dev's have said they don't think this would work well, but they were curious about it. They may look into it later.
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
It was actually Picard v. Damon Bok. Sad really. Shinzon only hated Picard because he existed.
I realy-realy want a bumbling Ferengi nemesis Actualy the Ferengi in the game should be a lot more present (outside the exchange that is :p)
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-05-2010, 09:17 PM
This is a GREAT GREAT idea.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-05-2010, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr
I've been playing some Champions Online recently to fill in time until Season 3 comes out. To get get a better understanding of the game, I read up on some of the game mechanics on the Wiki site, I discovered that the games allows you to create a 'Nemesis' at Level 25 (Read here)

I realy think something like this would work in Star Trek Online.

When I discovered it I thought about Kahn and Kirk straight away . What a great concept! Every Captain eventually p***s off someone enough to create his/her Nemesis. I don't like the idea of 'building/creating' a custom Nemesis, but perhaps it could be used to expand the Accolaide System and automatically generated for you?
  • Nemesis is triggered after reaching a certain Kill accolaide (ie Kill 1,000 Romulans = Romulan Nemesis)
  • Minions randomly attack you in Space and Ground combat over time (i.e. in an Explore or Patrol Mission). I can imagine a random unexpected beam ins here and there
  • Eventually you will encounter your Nemesis for the final confrontation.
  • The mechanics of the Nemesis system is allready in CO so it could be adapted with minimal R&D?

Anyone think this is a good idea?

Examples;
  • Kirk V's Kahn
  • Picard V's Shinzon
  • Sisko V's Ducat
Kirks nemesis was not Kahn.

Kahn did NOTHING a heckload of other Antagonists did not also do.
Capture the ship under kirks arse? Check. Gods, klings, even his own people! Torturing him and his crew, check, look at those mind benders and several of the god like dudes.... etc etc.

Kirks nemesis is HIMSELF. Or in particular his inability to move on from the frontline of things. Even asa damn old, fat fart he still has to get himself into the thick of things. He cant fight it. That is his nemesis. Oh and it killed him too. twice.

Picards Nemesis is not Shinzon. Shinzon, again, did nothing many others did not also do.
Picards Nemesis is Q, since every time He had to deal with him Picard was reminded of how powerless and insignificant he can be in the face of a power like Q (or nagilum.. or some space time vortex.... or a tykens rift... or a heckload of other things...). While Q might be quite likable from out point of view, try to look at it from Picards perspective:
Q put Picards Ship and crew into deathtraps several times, threatened to destroy EVERYTHING Picard values (humanity and the federation), ALMOST lured Picard into changing his life into what i can only call purgatory and oh yes, introduced the Borg to Picard which caused further anguish. True, Picard grew because of these things but still. All those things were pretty horrible acts. And none of those occured naturally. Its not like he just ran into an anomoly. The anomaly seeked picard out every time.

Siskos nemesis was not Ducat, and no, it was not the dominion or his obligation and entanglement in prophet matters.
His nemesis was... nothing. He had none. Avery brooks channeled just enough Samuel L. Jackson to basically never appear to be truly fazed or "threatened" by what he encountered. The closet we ever get to him feeling pushed is when Edington goes Maquis on him and continues to mock him for another episode and forces sisko to taking an extreme measure. But a nemesis has to have several appearances so Edington does not qualify and they pulled the same "sacrifice your bla bla for" thing in the pale moonlight. For example.
If you want to at all costs find a nemesis, the closest thing would be betrayal.
Not only did a good friend of Sisko defect, but also a trusted officer. And in both Situations Sisko kinda went overboard in his reaction. But still Avery's Samuel L. Jackson channeling made these affairs less.. impacting on the character.
Its one of the reasons i like Avery Brooks and his Sisko so much. Headstrong and intersting ,yet flexible enough both as a char and as an actor to go OOC without breaking things. Only he could play a bond villain and sell a whole, entirely stupid episode to us.
Kudos sir, kudos. He was to DS9 what Tim Russ was to Voyager. A beacon of light.

If you want to know archers Nemesis, its the fact that he always is and felt limited by the technology available to him.
He has the BEST humanity has to offer and still, he so often is nothing but a mere nuisance to others.
Gets worse once he learns about the future and what it holds.

Being told that you are to help create an entity like the Federation... did not help. Oh and there were genocidal aliens. And he again was reminded of how much his tech sucks.

Janeway is a Mary Sue, sorta. Her only nemesis is FAILURE. Not because of the consequences, she can deal with that. (sorry, ensign dead meat...) but because of the process of failing alone.

She's Captain perfect! Loved by all! Failure is a horror to her.

That aside:

I do like the gameplay element of having an opponent only for me.

However i sure hope it does not turn out like CO's version. Where you had weak minions spawn at totally random times (like in the middle of the fortification of a worldwide evil organization that is totally devoted to security and secrecy...) and your nemesis in actuality being completely unable to put up a fight or challenge. es, it was nice i could customize the looks but that doe me no good if i can shoot the thing down at 100 yards distance with no effort involved.

If STO gives us an antagonist to our protagonist, i hope we wil lbe able to d othe following things.

- Modify what ship he has, what weapons are on this ship. And the ship needs to be equal in power and possible loadout to playerships.
- Same for the boffs. Especialy skills.
- obviously needs a very good AI that knows the basics of flying ships and using skills.
- A good, decent, involving, interesting, challenging, not dull, high stake storyline.

What it does not need useless minions running around, droping by in the weirdest of situations....
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-05-2010, 09:35 PM
I want my Nemesis to wear a cape and a have a handlebar mustache.
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the constructive feedback everyone. I'm glad that there are other players that are interested.

Thanks for the analysis claydermunch. I couldn't help and read it with a Dr. Evil accent :p ..... seriosly

"My childhood was typical: summers in Rangoon ... luge lessons ... In the spring, we'd make meat helmets ... "
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-06-2010, 02:02 AM
This has a MASSIVE vote from me. Could be very very cool.