Lt. Commander
# 11
12-05-2010, 10:43 PM
I'm not a fan of either design.

The first is stubby as heck and bland. The second is just a very fat Sovereign.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
If it works out, you'll see two classes of ship starting to emerge and my design will be the overlap where the two classes are effectively docked together, to give that feeling of a separate hull cylinder.

Similar to how the Galaxy had a detachable saucer, my design has a detachable hull of sorts but it's a bit more special than that.
My design is along similar lines, I am also incoroprating saucer seperation, with a twist. But something that wouldn't benefit combat. The secondary hull has a bit of a unique twist too regarding the shuttlebays as well as the impulse engines too.

Hope people like it when it's done.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Eh its alright, I like the one B posted
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-05-2010, 11:42 PM
i really want to post mine but i think it looks terrible i just like the concept than the implementation
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awarkle View Post
i really want to post mine but i think it looks terrible i just like the concept than the implementation
do it, i for one would really like to see the work some of ya have been assembling.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Probably best to not post them before the contest is at least open, and maybe closed.

Even if you don't think anyone would want to steal yours (and I don't think anyone would steal the one I plan to enter) it just opens up the opportunity for unpleasantness about "Hey you ripped off Ship X" and such things.

I really want to post mine though, maybe after its over. I modeled it in the Lego Digital Design software and I hope some artist would do me a favor and fully render it or do it in drawn form or something, just to see it in more detail.

Mine is a bit contrary to the "flattening" too - I really didn't take it much beyond the "sleekness" of the Sovereign and I retained the profile that ALL of the Enterprises share, especially the elevated or "forked" nacelle pylons, which neither of the designs posted in this thread really have (or at least not enough to keep the balance they all share)
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-06-2010, 12:03 AM
Indeed, you don't want anyone taking some of your ideas and implementing it on their own.

I'm sure someone will start a thread for the contestants and our overaseas breatheren who wanted to compete, but couldn't.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-06-2010, 12:58 AM
I always thought that the profile from the top of this ship looked great. Not so much a fan of the bottom though. However it does look largely like a natural evolution of where starfleet was heading by the end of nemeisis, so for that the creator does something that few fan ships/soft cannon do..make a ship that looks like its actually a part of starfleet.

What it really looks like is a "good" typhoon class, as it stands at the moment I hate the typhoon because it lacks the trek look. This ship is pretty much the same configuration but looks good doing it.

The Excalbuer is a pretty bad design IMO, just reminds me of when people would cut and paste star fleet ship shematics into their own "mega" versions of existing ships. It looks like it from every angle as well, just a soverign minus the graceful and ubered up by adding a tone of extra windows everywhere.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-06-2010, 02:11 AM
This is a side note to actual design, because I am holding off on sharing mine, for reasons discussed and because I'm still working on views of it from different angles.

How BIG do you think it should be?

I always felt like the Sovereign was a bit too close to the Galaxy in size.

Looking at how much bigger the Ambassador is than the Connie (and I'm going with how big the Ambassador was by model scale compared to the Galaxy, rather than the soft canon tech specs), I applied that to the Galaxy. (The Ambassador is two flagship classes after the Connie, not counting the refit. This is two flagship classes after the Galaxy.)

That gives me a figure of 1065 meters or 3494 feet. That would make this the first Enterprise over a kilometer long.

This puts development on track for the two mile Enterprise-J if the Enterprise, G, H, I, and J are each around one third bigger than their predecessor. This is roughly the size increase seen between the Ambassador and the Galaxy.

Doing the same for crew puts the estimated compliment at 1650.

Overall, we'd be looking at a ship that is 80% the size of a Klingon carrier like the Vo'quv but less then half the crew compliment. However, to put that into perspective, living arrangements would be tighter than they are on the Constitution class, in terms of crew per square foot
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-06-2010, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
This is a side note to actual design, because I am holding off on sharing mine, for reasons discussed and because I'm still working on views of it from different angles.

How BIG do you think it should be?

I always felt like the Sovereign was a bit too close to the Galaxy in size.

Looking at how much bigger the Ambassador is than the Connie (and I'm going with how big the Ambassador was by model scale compared to the Galaxy, rather than the soft canon tech specs), I applied that to the Galaxy. (The Ambassador is two flagship classes after the Connie, not counting the refit. This is two flagship classes after the Galaxy.)

That gives me a figure of 1065 meters or 3494 feet. That would make this the first Enterprise over a kilometer long.

This puts development on track for the two mile Enterprise-J if the Enterprise, G, H, I, and J are each around one third bigger than their predecessor. This is roughly the size increase seen between the Ambassador and the Galaxy.

Doing the same for crew puts the estimated compliment at 1650.

Overall, we'd be looking at a ship that is 80% the size of a Klingon carrier like the Vo'quv but less then half the crew compliment. However, to put that into perspective, living arrangements would be tighter than they are on the Constitution class, in terms of crew per square foot
Its an interesting breakdown of the trends in startrek.

I was really glad when the Enterprise E wasn't build as another larger enterprise, rather then making a larger and larger ship. Making an overly huge ship to show up the federations way of life makes sense when you are on missions of exploration and discovering new potential member species. However it makes less sense for a ship who's is probably going to be under attack or called to the front in a time of emergency.

I really hope that cryptic doesn't go this route to appease those who really really really wanted to pilot a 3 mile long ship ingame.