Lt. Commander
# 21
12-06-2010, 03:25 AM
I like the Century class as a hybrid between the Sovie and the Intrepid. Still, it is clear that the Enterprise F will be decided on the contest that is to come, and I am pretty sure that these fan made designs will not be part of the template we will be given to work with.

Anyhow I look forward to see what the future holds for the most decorated ship of the line
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-06-2010, 04:37 AM
great design and presentation,thx for the post
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-06-2010, 05:23 AM
I'm rooting for a child of the ambassador class with the 2009 enterprise. Who takes on the challenge?

Ambassador
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-06-2010, 07:36 AM
I like the OPs linked one.

I think an evolution of the Sovereign should be the F....... I just wish E had a longer run. I love the Sovereign, it's my favorite/second favorite of the Enterprise ships. ( the other being B.)
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-06-2010, 09:05 AM
I feel that a lot of the "F" Designs I have seen look a little like steeling too many elements from the predecessors.

The shape and "glowy parts" of the Sovereign nacelles is pretty good. But a new generation should just look different. There isn't actually such a big similarity between A, B, C and D as they are in many of the existing designs.

I would like to see a bigger changes. Something that really tells me "this is a new ship, a new generation".

The Enterprise J isn't my favorite design, but it achieves that, and it will always stand out, while the many Sovereign variants might be good-looking, but they are not a new Enterprise. They are sister ships.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-06-2010, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I feel that a lot of the "F" Designs I have seen look a little like steeling too many elements from the predecessors.

The shape and "glowy parts" of the Sovereign nacelles is pretty good. But a new generation should just look different. There isn't actually such a big similarity between A, B, C and D as they are in many of the existing designs.

I would like to see a bigger changes. Something that really tells me "this is a new ship, a new generation".

The Enterprise J isn't my favorite design, but it achieves that, and it will always stand out, while the many Sovereign variants might be good-looking, but they are not a new Enterprise. They are sister ships.
This guy has got it. Said everything I was wanting to. In all honesty I dont like hardly any fan made ships for that vary fact. There just borrowing a currnt designe and altering it. And that behemoth of a ship is vary ugly in my opinion and I see it constantly getting linked. The next enterprise needs to be something we havent seen befor yet still is following some of the rules laid out int he shows. Such as being streamlined to cut down on the warp field problem.

Still excited to see what ships people come up with.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-06-2010, 11:43 AM
I've always liked the look of the Sovereign, and my ship is going to have some elements inspired by the Enterprise E as far as shape wise goes. It's going to be slightly larger than the Enterprise E, and it's going to have some new elements. I'm not going so much for a radically new look so much as I'm going for the functions that this ship will perform. The Federation is lacking in the carrier department, and what better ship to apply this concept to than a ship that can trace it lineage back to the carriers of the 20th century. I'm not going to give too much away before the contest. I have already built a CG model in Blender. I'm putting the finishing touches on it, and then I will create the textures for the model. After that, I'm going to draw up some sketches of the model on paper and detail exactly what the capabilities of this ship are. I'm looking forward to the contest, even it I don't win. I just want to see how well this design does.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-06-2010, 12:19 PM
I for one do not like the look of the Enterprise-F OP, It just looks horrid to me.
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavairo
I like the OPs linked one.

I think an evolution of the Sovereign should be the F....... I just wish E had a longer run. I love the Sovereign, it's my favorite/second favorite of the Enterprise ships. ( the other being B.)
Aye but the think of all the Enterprise's..... they are not the same..... no evolutions or anything.... the Enterprise F should be something new and have zero elements of the E.

The NX is nothing like the Constitution, the Constitution is nothing like the Excelsior, the excelsior is nothing like the Ambassador, the Ambassador is nothing like the Galaxy.... well maybe a tiny bit... the Galaxy is nothing like the Sovereign... so the Sovereign should be nothing like what ever class the F is.
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-06-2010, 12:22 PM
See, I hope that the reluctance of CBS to allow the J to be used stems from the fact that they don't think much of the "2 mile" specs for the J. Keep in mind that those stats were published independently by the creator of the J, so they're more of a "suggested" spec.

Because I absolutely hate the idea of a city-ship as the natural evolution. The Galaxy was such on a smaller scale, and it posed many problems even in a fairly peaceful time. I think Starfleet learned that lesson.

Starfleet or the Federation might very well build a "Ship of State" that would be a city-ship, for diplomatic missions.. a roving embassy... but it wouldn't be a warship, not do I think they would make it the flagship of the fleet., the Enterprise.

So here is hoping that the reluctance to use the J is an attempt to "retcon" it, and perhaps the real future will hold a more suitable Enterprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
This is a side note to actual design, because I am holding off on sharing mine, for reasons discussed and because I'm still working on views of it from different angles.

How BIG do you think it should be?

I always felt like the Sovereign was a bit too close to the Galaxy in size.

Looking at how much bigger the Ambassador is than the Connie (and I'm going with how big the Ambassador was by model scale compared to the Galaxy, rather than the soft canon tech specs), I applied that to the Galaxy. (The Ambassador is two flagship classes after the Connie, not counting the refit. This is two flagship classes after the Galaxy.)

That gives me a figure of 1065 meters or 3494 feet. That would make this the first Enterprise over a kilometer long.

This puts development on track for the two mile Enterprise-J if the Enterprise, G, H, I, and J are each around one third bigger than their predecessor. This is roughly the size increase seen between the Ambassador and the Galaxy.

Doing the same for crew puts the estimated compliment at 1650.

Overall, we'd be looking at a ship that is 80% the size of a Klingon carrier like the Vo'quv but less then half the crew compliment. However, to put that into perspective, living arrangements would be tighter than they are on the Constitution class, in terms of crew per square foot