Lt. Commander
# 11
12-06-2010, 09:46 AM
currently crytpic have soft caps on how many people can be in a zone at any one time, i think that cap is set to 50 people. What they could do is work out the maximum number of starships (ie the biggest) they can jam inside the space dock either through different levels within the dock or just around the circumference then once they work that out CAP the maximum number of people that can be in SOL at that amount.

Then when you dock your starship you can go to the observation deck to view everyones starship that is currently docked within the dock.

Then you could possibly have a quick exit option where ships depart instantly (i know not very realistic) or you provide a cut scene that shows the ship departing space dock and the doors opening you could do this from the bridge view by means of a scripted path as an autopilot.

Thats how i would go about the whole space dock roleyplay thing.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-06-2010, 01:21 PM
I'd prefer an option to go to a separate instance, where you can fly around, but a cut scene is cool too. The option to skip and go straight to ESD is huge, of course.

The only issue with flying yourself around is the camera angles/clipping once you get inside, and since Cryptic seems to be all about interior camera angles, it might be an issue.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
I'm begging Cryptic to script an optional cutscene for all players seeing it for the first time that gives us this.

(Not my creation, I'm sorry to say. My hat goes off to the artist who made it.)
Well we've been told that cutscenes are going to be making their way into STO soon and seeing that it is most likely that the ESD will be changed near/on the Season 4 release, there's a good chance that this could happen

About the "New" ESD discussion, I can understand that some people aren't too fond of the current 25th century design (I'm not one of them, but I still respect them ), but in a way going back the the 23rd/24th century ESD seems like a step back.

Unless we get the general design of the "Classic" ESD with a "25th century look/feel" I'll probably be a tad iffy.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awarkle View Post
currently crytpic have soft caps on how many people can be in a zone at any one time, i think that cap is set to 50 people. What they could do is work out the maximum number of starships (ie the biggest) they can jam inside the space dock either through different levels within the dock or just around the circumference then once they work that out CAP the maximum number of people that can be in SOL at that amount.

Then when you dock your starship you can go to the observation deck to view everyones starship that is currently docked within the dock.
The problem with that is that character models are roughly the same size as the ships.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerHayden View Post
The problem with that is that character models are roughly the same size as the ships.
I think he meant inside ESD's space portion, so like the shot when the Enterprise goes in and see the Excelsior.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-06-2010, 03:35 PM
the main starbase doors won't be installed until thursday .... same with the cut scene's
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufia
the main starbase doors won't be installed until thursday .... same with the cut scene's

Haha :p

Sinse I saw this thread all I've been thinking of is my Galaxy Refit (Celestial) slowly going into ESD :p
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-06-2010, 05:32 PM
So this ESD change is really happening? Dang, I was hoping to have more time with the current setup as I like it very much.

Also, Darrin I liked those images you linked. Very Earth and Beyond with seeing your ship in the background of your avatar.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_13_X
So this ESD change is really happening? Dang, I was hoping to have more time with the current setup as I like it very much.

Also, Darrin I liked those images you linked. Very Earth and Beyond with seeing your ship in the background of your avatar.
I'm also a fan of the current, and more to-date ESD. Although the "classic" ESD is still nice....I say use the classic's overall setup/design structure, but have 25th century components to it.
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerHayden View Post
Well, I remember seeing a fully rendered ship in ESD on Tribble (or maybe holodeck) just floating outside a window. It is something called PERSPECTIVE, you can make it look like it is big, while not actually being big. Since there is a cap of around 50 people, that means they will have to have a large area to house all of those ships. It'll probably take around 10 levels for everyone's vessel to appear. Actually, the cutscene should be the loading screen, and if the loading is done and the cutscene isn't finished, you get the option to skip it.