Lt. Commander
# 21
12-06-2010, 11:01 AM
[quote=amidoinitright;3206521]If we had a cat, the parrots would probably eat it.
QUOTE]

Respect anything that cracks a brazil nut with its beak!
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord_Set View Post
Ventrilo users have some how got it into their heads that they are in some way better than other players because they use this system and as people are being denied access into teams for not having ventrilo i thought it was time this was brought up.
Vent and TS are tools. Tools that make the game play more enjoyable and smoother. I can understand not wanting to team for a STF with someone not using a voice system. Trying to coordinate a team with text chat gets difficult, not impossible, just harder and inconvenient. We are not "stuck up," "better than others" or "elitist." We just want to play with less hassle. I do agree that PUGs tend to suffer with ... shall we say less than desirable team members at times. But, overall its an indispensable tool.
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-06-2010, 12:47 PM
I refuse to use ventrilo or teamspeak, using Mumble (with is 100% free, not just client download free) instead. Even then, I won't refuse people access to teaming with me just because they won't use Mumble. I see that as being rude, but if they ask if I am using a voice chat application I will gladly point them at my server.
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-06-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm hearing impaired and using voice chat is a pain for me. (Hard to hear, and if I turn it up my ears ring like mad.) So my first reply when I get an invite to either a group or a fleet is to inform the sender that I won't be using ts or vent. It keeps me out of about 70% of groups, but most (all but one in fact) fleets say it's not a problem.

Stuck up? Can't really say... but voice chat does make communication easier (if 20 people trying to talk over one another is communication ) and quicker.
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord_Set View Post
Ventrilo users have some how got it into their heads that they are in some way better than other players because they use this system and as people are being denied access into teams for not having ventrilo i thought it was time this was brought up.

So i ask the STO population does vent make you a better player or does it just make you stuck up and pig headed !? Does having children ( and adults ) barking orders at you make the team your in feel superior than those without vent !?

We should all work together imho and not have a devided player base because of Ventrilo, do you agree !?
Here's a scenario for you. You have 2 military forces going to war with each other. Both have the same caliber of weaponry but only one has radio while the other relies on a "passing notes system"(something like a mailing system) to relay intelligence and battle reports. Which side has the greater advantage?

Now let's say one side is a random fed team able to rally together and look competent, while the other is a pre-made fed team using vent. Both have the same amount of "skill," "experience," "weapons," and "ships." The vent team will more then likely come out on top.

Vent and TS may not make you a better player but in a team situation, it makes a world of difference.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
What STO needs is integrated Voice Chat rather than having to rely on a third party software.
Please no. WoW, a game that has infinitely more resources then STO does, devoted an entire content patch to creating its own voice chat, and last I checked it was still vastly inferior to Vent or even Teamspeak. In a game that's hurting as badly for content as STO is, this would be a monumental waste of resources when there are other and better tools that one can use.

The problem I have with vent and using it with random people is that I can't stand small talk. I'll be more than happy to relay game information, but I couldn't care less about your personal life and I'm not about to start divulging mine.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-06-2010, 06:29 PM
I don't think Ventrilo users consider themselves better than the rest of us. Though you never know. There might be some. The reason they reject non-voice chat users from their groups, when they do, is cause they can't communicate them as easily as they'd like. If one guy doesn't use ventrilo, they either have to take their conversation to text chat, or they have to pretend you're an NPC tagging along.

Me, personally, I don't like voicechat. In fact avoid it. I take the practical approach to communication, not so much that I choose the most casual form, but that generally I don't say anything unless I think it's relevant. So I prefer text-chat as it makes people consider what they're saying, before they hit enter and say it. It also doesn't come with a hard to understand accent (unless you're really trying), it says the name of the person communicating right in front of what they said, and if someone AFKs to pick up the phone or visit the bathroom, they can see what they missed in their backlog, and not delay the team further still by requiring any explanations to be run through a second time. Also the ill-tempered ones are easier to ignore. I don't have to listen to live accounts of sports teams I've never even heard of before, Star Wars book review clubs or god forbid there's an election going on in the US! (Not to put too fine a point on it, but there's a few billion more people using the internet than care, you know.) All of which really gets in the way of my habit of having music, or from time to time the news, on while I play. Also, I always felt kind of stupid talking to my computer, cause with one of those headsets on, to anyone passing by it sounds like you've completely lost it.

So you all can have your voicechat, and I'll have my text chat, and I'll thank you to keep your X's and 123's out of it.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-06-2010, 06:34 PM
when in battle we are on vent. we just enjoy talking to each other and only really worry about calling targets if we come up against a group that doesnt break without us having to focus fire. we chat about anything and everything really...
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-07-2010, 04:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoinitright View Post
Well, she'd better do it on vent, cuz i don't pay attention to zone chat
Are you sure your house is not in an Open PvP zone?
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-07-2010, 06:20 AM
between my Wife & my daughters, it sometimes feels like one