Lt. Commander
One shot swordmasters?
Dual Pistols with 100% Shield Pen?
Science Officers wont heal PC party members?

These issues are most evident on Elite and I know the general feel of ground combat is being addressed but can't these glaring and game breaking bugs be addressed with more gusto? Slugging through the ground combat of the game seriously ruins an otherwise enjoyable play experience. At the very least separate difficulty sliders for Space/Ground.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-21-2010, 04:27 PM
How? Because many people would rather have new content and features each month then worry about a bug that might only seldom effect them; especially since only a small fraction of players regulary play on elite.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
How? Because many people would rather have new content and features each month then worry about a bug that might only seldom effect them; especially since only a small fraction of players regulary play on elite.
Only a small fraction of players play Elite because of stuff like this. The reasoning is cyclical. Included in your post is a desire for re-playability - perhaps viable difficulties? Its very hard to recommend this game to new players when in response to the drudgery of the ground game is, "Deal with it". These simple fixes would vastly improve the group-level difficulty experience and don't seem to be as developer intensive as say trying to balance new ships etc. I'm not asking for FPS combat - just not to be one shot by Dual Pistols through full shields. Any other game this would have been a hotfix.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-21-2010, 09:25 PM
I bet would be that some bugs on the ground have been knocked down in priority due to the upcoming ground combat changes, whatever those are. I would guess that they intend to take a look at and attempt to address several bugs while they are doing this, since they will already be focused on that portion of the game. Of course, I don't actually know, but it seems reasonable.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasGideon
I bet would be that some bugs on the ground have been knocked down in priority due to the upcoming ground combat changes, whatever those are. I would guess that they intend to take a look at and attempt to address several bugs while they are doing this, since they will already be focused on that portion of the game. Of course, I don't actually know, but it seems reasonable.
Which would be fine, except that in the latest engineering report dstahl said that the ground combat changes have now been pushed out of Season 3 and into Season 4, so we are looking at what, next April? Also in the thread, someone brought up this exact issue and again dstahl said they MAY look into it before then but not to look for it until Season 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaelen
Only a small fraction of players play Elite because of stuff like this. The reasoning is cyclical. Included in your post is a desire for re-playability - perhaps viable difficulties? Its very hard to recommend this game to new players when in response to the drudgery of the ground game is, "Deal with it". These simple fixes would vastly improve the group-level difficulty experience and don't seem to be as developer intensive as say trying to balance new ships etc. I'm not asking for FPS combat - just not to be one shot by Dual Pistols through full shields. Any other game this would have been a hotfix.
I'm with you on this one, if it wasn't for the completely unplayable elite ground bugs I would play on elite full time.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Oh, I agree. I would like to see the bugs fixed sooner rather than later.

I was just trying to reason out why they would have not even attempted to address the bugs up to this point.

I do recall that Mr. Stahl has said in his engineering reports that they will probably just nuke all the planets with bugged encounters. I have no idea what would be required for this to be done, nor do I know what constitutes a bugged encounter.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasGideon
Oh, I agree. I would like to see the bugs fixed sooner rather than later.

I was just trying to reason out why they would have not even attempted to address the bugs up to this point.

I do recall that Mr. Stahl has said in his engineering reports that they will probably just nuke all the planets with bugged encounters. I have no idea what would be required for this to be done, nor do I know what constitutes a bugged encounter.
That would nuke probably half the current random planets and most of the story missions, seeing as the Klingons feature heavily in both.

Anything with Nausicaans (Elite Raiders/Heavy Marines) would be right out.

Can't really think of the others right at the moment, trying to remember every NPC species in the game with full auto weapons (it's not just dual pistols, it's anything full auto) is beyond me atm.

The Romulans are doable (just not fun at all) even if it does take 5-15 minutes using Dylovene'd melee attacks to take out a medic/centurion combo, a little longer if you use energy weapons and try to kill with bleedthrough since NPC HP are insanely high. And double-triple that if there are 2 medics, since one will resurrect the other -- even if they were vaporized, I've had Romulans resurrect out of thin air after being exploited to death several times. Control is not really an option since it only takes them 5-10 seconds to resurrect the fallen medic and controls have an immunity timer longer than that.

There are still a lot of exploration planets where your BO and the enemies fall under the world, those would need to be nuked as well. Hell, "Hunting the Hunted" is still broken after almost a year.

So yeah, they seriously need to stop working on more stuff for the C-Store and fix some long outstanding (and newly introduced) bugs in the ground combat. After my sub runs out I will NOT be renewing, because as fun as the space battles are, the ground is killing the game for me, so I am voting with my wallet. Supposedly these fixes were going to be in Season 3, but the Engi. Report saying they were pushed back to Season 4 came out a couple days after my renewal, so they "got me" on that one. Won't happen again, I won't be back till the fixes happen.

Hell, even a separate slider for ground and space would fix it "well enough" for me at this point. Space on normal is way too easy, space on elite is fun and challenging. Ground on normal is a bit on the easy side, and a real challenge on elite but fun enough without the bugs. The bugs are what's killing it for me.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-22-2010, 06:46 PM
I actually really like the ground part , wish we had alot more ground daillys to be honest
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-25-2010, 05:03 PM
I think most of the ground combat bugs are lag and synchronization related. Remember that what you see your character doing is what you told it to do upwards of quarter of a second ago.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaelen
One shot swordmasters?
Dual Pistols with 100% Shield Pen?
Science Officers wont heal PC party members?

These issues are most evident on Elite and I know the general feel of ground combat is being addressed but can't these glaring and game breaking bugs be addressed with more gusto? Slugging through the ground combat of the game seriously ruins an otherwise enjoyable play experience. At the very least separate difficulty sliders for Space/Ground.
You shouldn't forget that this game is still kind of new.