Lt. Commander
# 1 Lt Carei disapeears from ESD?
12-06-2010, 12:19 PM
I set up a ticket with support on this, but I want to see if others are having this same problem. 3 or 4 times now in the past few days, I'm at ESD and Lt Carei is gone! Another time I found her in the corridor acting as if she was at her station. I need to exchange emblems for items and I can't because she's gone. Very annoying! Tech support told me that they are sending it along to "in-game support" and they will get to it when they can. Who knows when that will be.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-06-2010, 12:48 PM
<speculation>
I wonder if NPC pathfinding is wonky again, because I definately noticed issues like this on Tribble after the Season 3 build went live for testing. The NPCs are being pushed out of their spawn locations by other NPCs and end up in locations you'd never expect to find them. For example, Malcom Sissel seems to have taken quite a fancy to a small corner in ship requisitions on the 2nd floor. I guess the pressure and stress of the job finally got to him!
</speculation>
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-06-2010, 01:02 PM
This has actually been happening off and on for a while. The vendor/quest NPCs have no pathing or movement code, and the walkers can still collide with them. Once one of the NPCs gets nudged out of position, they seem to keep getting hit, and the walkers just bulldoze them around until they reach a spot where they naturally fall "off" the patrol paths. The result is basically logjams of vendor NPCs all piled up in some random corner somewhere. Last night I went through ESD Instance #4, and pretty much half the vendor NPCs had been piled up in one of the intersections.

I can think of a few obvious solutions - remove collision detection from NPCs entirely, and/or set up the static NPCs so that they either respawn once in a while or at least can tell when they've been shoved off their waypoint, and give them the ability to walk back. If NPC collisions have to remain, then perhaps the patrol paths need to be adjusted so that the walkers don't EVER go near the vendors. Even then, the vendors need some way of holding their position, to deal with anything players might also be doing that's moving them around.

*Edit* In the meantime, the only way I've found to deal with it when I need a vendor who's gone missing is to switch instances until I find one where they aren't screwed up yet. It's annoying, but far less tedious than wandering the station until I find whatever corner the vendors are being pushed into at the moment.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-06-2010, 01:17 PM
When doing the mission repeat of Stranded In Space on Tribble, I found the ESD mission contact Malcom Sissel embedded in a wall one floor up in ship requisitions.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-06-2010, 01:58 PM
This mostly has to do with Klingon Players showing up at ESD. Even if they don't fire, they can kite the NPCs and they will go off chasing them. Usually you have to change instances to find one with the NPC at the correct spot, but more Klingon grievers are going about doing this on purpose.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursix
This mostly has to do with Klingon Players showing up at ESD. Even if they don't fire, they can kite the NPCs and they will go off chasing them. Usually you have to change instances to find one with the NPC at the correct spot, but more Klingon grievers are going about doing this on purpose.
Incorrect. I know for a fact that this was happening BEFORE the glitch that allowed Klingon players to get into ESD. And I have SEEN the walker NPCs pushing the vendors around. They don't usually move them very far at any given time, but as I said - once a vendor gets into the patrol path, they seem to keep getting hit until they reach a natural "sandbar" point in the patrol path.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-06-2010, 07:15 PM
*Edit* In the meantime, the only way I've found to deal with it when I need a vendor who's gone missing is to switch instances until I find one where they aren't screwed up yet. It's annoying, but far less tedious than wandering the station until I find whatever corner the vendors are being pushed into at the moment.

Edit? Switch instances? Can you explain in detail, please?
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurkling

Edit? Switch instances? Can you explain in detail, please?
I put the *Edit* in there to indicate that I'd made a major change to my post shortly after I made the original post. Instead of making a second post to add an extra sentence.

Changing instances: There are usually multiple copies of the social area maps. (And, quite often, of most of the Sector Space maps and many of the Deep Space Encounters.) If you look above the minimap (which is in the upper right corner by default) you will see a small text box that lists the name of the map you are in, usually shortened like "Earth Space..." If you click on that, it will pop up another box with two items in it. One will be the full "readable" name of the map, such as "Earth Space Dock #10" and the second will be a line labled "Change Instance" If you click on "Change Instance," it will show you a list of all the currently active copies of the same map, along with how many players are in each one.

Basically, each map can only hold a specific number of players - at one point, I think they'd turned this down to around twenty players at a time. As a player tries to enter a map, the game will attempt to automatically put them in whichever copy has the smallest number of people. If you're on a team, and a member of that team is already in a copy of the map, it'll try to place you with the team member instead. In either case, the game attempts to keep the number of players in each zone even, and at a level lower than the population limit. if the zones start to fill up, at some point the game will spawn a new copy of the map and start putting people into that one. If the number of people starts to drop, the game seems to also attempt to avoid dropping the population below a certain level. Presumably, if it manages to completely empty a copy without filling up any of the others, it then deletes that copy of the map.

What this all means, is that there are usually multiple copies of a crowded map like Earth Space Dock. If you like, you can move from one copy to another manually. You might do this to meet up with a friend who's in another copy, or to avoid someone who is being a clod in local and spamming emotes, for example. In this case, I use it to move to a version of the map where the NPCs haven't glitched yet.