Lt. Commander
# 11
12-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
You seem to be confused about the meaning of "RP". To put it simply, role playing = playing the role of someone other than yourself(your real life self, that is). So whether your playing as the captain of the ship or one of the other officers, your still RPing.
Sure. You can absolutely roleplay a captain or one of the other officers. When you're bouncing back and forth, without an in-world reason for it, you've basically ruined the "you are the character" experience though.

This is attempt to try and turn the game into a "one man show."
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
Sure. You can absolutely roleplay a captain or one of the other officers. When you're bouncing back and forth, without an in-world reason for it, you've basically ruined the "you are the character" experience though.

The game is ALREADY a "one man show".
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Seems to me, that Mr.Joyjoy doesn't live up to his name at all. LOL

Dude, seriously lighten up a little. The OP has a lot of very neat ideas going there. Now I am not saying it should be ALL THE TIME because that gets redundant and annoying (ala Final Fantasy 8), but an occasional character switchoff would be kind of nice to change things up.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-06-2010, 03:37 PM
I'm a life-long ST fan but I don't want to play SIMS Star Trek. I'm here to explore the galaxy, defeat foes of the Federation, and keep its citizens safe from all types of threats. I'm not here to pretend to be Mr. Scott, Mr. Sulu, Mr. Spock, Dr. McCoy, and every other member of the crew as they go about their daily tasks of keeping the ship and personnel healthy. Likewise I'm not here to preted to be Data while he pretend to be Sherlock Holmes in the holodeck. I can pretend all of that without ever logging into the game.

STO isn't a single-player crew emulation game and I don't want to see Cryptic using its extremely small dev team on those types of things. STO needs an entire end-game added to it, and a real exploration system added to it, long before it needs a crew emulation system, IMO.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-06-2010, 03:45 PM
I play a large number of different styles, I have a "captain" that is really a LT Commander who is a Hazard team member, so I RP that sometimes people are not talking to the LT cmder but instead to the ship's captain who happens to be one of my BOFF, this does NOT involve any sort of mind control or the like. simply adding a tag at the beginning of my chat allows others to know the Captain or doctor or whoever is talking not my LT comder, it's a normal and commonly used method of RP
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Quote:
I don't think you understand the whole "roleplaying" concept.

So, in short; no.
And what if I want to roleplay my chief engineer while he does his job? Or my chief medical officer while she tends to wounds? Or my helmsman while he plots the course?

I don't think you understand the whole "roleplaying" concept.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Quote:

I don't roleplay, but surely there's no reason why someone can't roleplay more than one character at once. You know how Brent Spiner would play Data, Lore, Dr Soong etc all in one episode? They didn't need some in-universe reason why the actor would bounce back and forth, he just "roleplayed" them all.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I'm a life-long ST fan but I don't want to play SIMS Star Trek. I'm here to explore the galaxy, defeat foes of the Federation, and keep its citizens safe from all types of threats. I'm not here to pretend to be Mr. Scott, Mr. Sulu, Mr. Spock, Dr. McCoy, and every other member of the crew as they go about their daily tasks of keeping the ship and personnel healthy. Likewise I'm not here to preted to be Data while he pretend to be Sherlock Holmes in the holodeck. I can pretend all of that without ever logging into the game.

STO isn't a single-player crew emulation game and I don't want to see Cryptic using its extremely small dev team on those types of things. STO needs an entire end-game added to it, and a real exploration system added to it, long before it needs a crew emulation system, IMO.

Quoted for truth.

While the OP puts forth an interesting idea, the form he put it in sounds... not fun.

Rather, it would have made far more sense to do something like this for one of the Breen series missions - the one where you have to go around healing people. I would have much rather taken control of the BOFF who is essentially my CMO than gone around as my captain for that particular mission.

However, in general, I have to agree with Cosmic One; I'd rather just be my captain and let my BOFFs do their thing.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-06-2010, 11:07 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~GM Tiyshen
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-07-2010, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey5time View Post
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~GM Tiyshen
Correct, and you proved just that.