Lt. Commander
# 111
02-17-2011, 06:09 AM
Sorry Highbone, but I think your response was a little harsh. These forums should be an environment that welcomes and fosters the suggestion of ideas, rather than mercilessly and unilaterally shooting them down.

If some or all of Varkirr's suggestions were implemented in a future toolset of the Foundry designed to allow players to customise their own ship interior (rather than designed for mission creation), then I think they'd be warmly welcomed. I'd love to be able to use the Foundry to customise my own ship interior in some of the ways Varkirr suggested. I'd also like to be able to customise the paintings on the walls of my ready room and quarters by uploading jpeg files.

Surely these kinds of uses of the Foundry (entirely separate to its mission creation uses) would be welcomed and used by many, though obviously not all, players?
Lt. Commander
# 112
02-17-2011, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Longer Term Foundry Goals
Using Foundry to create PvP maps
Read: Will never happen.
Lt. Commander
# 113
02-17-2011, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alimac30 View Post
Sorry Highbone, but I think your response was a little harsh. These forums should be an environment that welcomes and fosters the suggestion of ideas, rather than mercilessly and unilaterally shooting them down.

If some or all of Varkirr's suggestions were implemented in a future toolset of the Foundry designed to allow players to customise their own ship interior (rather than designed for mission creation), then I think they'd be warmly welcomed. I'd love to be able to use the Foundry to customise my own ship interior in some of the ways Varkirr suggested. I'd also like to be able to customise the paintings on the walls of my ready room and quarters by uploading jpeg files.

Surely these kinds of uses of the Foundry (entirely separate to its mission creation uses) would be welcomed and used by many, though obviously not all, players?
Dear 5 Minute User...
Highbone was encouraging him. Did you read through the entire post. Some off those ideas Are ridicules though. Congratulations to being a new person to the forums and still want to make it a better place. Good luck. I stopped trying hmm about a 1hour ago. As it is my bed time. Hope you actually spend as much time making a mission as you have talking about how great it all is in this thread. Not your mission but Foundry.

FIL - With all my Love...

So back to the thread. How likely is it that foundry is going to make it to Holodeck by early march. Anyone out there who has worked with the new features on Beta, Is there any major bugs or are we in for a more prolonged wait then the Dev's are advertising.
Lt. Commander
# 114
02-17-2011, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by filbones View Post
Some off those ideas Are ridicules though.
Name one of those ideas.

And i think it's you that should read that post again. And you should probably turn on your sarcasm radar this time.
Lt. Commander
# 115
02-17-2011, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbone
Quote:
What about an accolade wall display where you can display all of your accolades and hang it in your ready room?
Ego stroke? No just proud to achieve stuff, what's wrong with that?

Quote:
Have a console with crew and officer info bio's that cycles thru pictures of your crew
Don't care, how does it help anyone make a better mission, Oh, look it's what you wrote about your boFF. Or, you could hit "u". This is for display on your ship

Quote:
Storage: this is a definite must really, have cabinets or something similar where you can store loot instead of going to your bank, maybe have a larger cabinet for larger ships? 50 items min - say 250 items for the largest ships
You gotta pay for it. We already do, it's called subs

Quote:
Ability to change the ships interior colour scheme
Since we can't do maps of our personal ships, no point. You can change interiors BG. or maybe add a nebula or 10. You are talking at the moment, this is requested for future updates

Quote:
Ability to add decks, rooms, turbo lifts
Doable now. Maybe not your opinion of the idea, since we can't make corridors/rooms. talking about doing this for ships you own, not for foundry maps for missions

Quote:
Ability to have a shuttlebay where we can actually board one of our shuttles and depart from our ship
Doable now. Yet again, talking about doing this for ships you own, not for foundry maps for missions

Quote:
Ability to have the viewscreen show us exactly where we are in the system, ie basically a window to outside the ship
Yes, this is a good idea, the INTERIOR BACKGROUNDS are limited to planet side. As for a system view, even black space, is a great thought. Something you agreed with??? lol

Quote:
Ability to pilot our ship from the Captain's Chair, then when we enter a mission it changes to tactical view
Why? You wanna view 10 degree of space versus 180 degrees? How is that helpful? You however are keeping true to the perpetual vision of STO, I commend you... Why not have it anyway? it's not mean to be helpful, it's for RP purposes just imagine a cool party onboard with loads of your fleet attending, and you have the ability to move your ship around the system without having to go back to tactical view, who wouldn't want that?

Quote:
There would need to be interactive props like chairs consoles etc that would be defined in a separate tab, these would be used by our bridge officers ie sitting down at the helm or using the science station on the bridge.
Already doable if you talk about consoles, not chairs in my experience. You Can assign sitting animations and they WILL get up and attack you. I am talking from designing your bridge from a blank canvas and having certain items like chairs and consoles that the system recognizes at npc stations so it will seat your bridge officers in the correct seats and have others tapping away at consoles when you load in
All the above is not for the foundry, if you read it properly the suggestion is for the live server to add flavor to the star trek experience..... judging by most of your replies to my comments, I guess you've never RP'd before
Lt. Commander
# 116
02-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Greetings Foundry Programmers,

Just wondering how it's going? I know it was to be down for a week or more, but I was wondering if you had an ETA at this point?

Great stuff so far. Can't wait for the new abilities.

Thanks,
Lt. Commander
# 117
02-18-2011, 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgald View Post
Name one of those ideas.

And i think it's you that should read that post again. And you should probably turn on your sarcasm radar this time.
Okay just read through it again and my statement still stands. Maybe I could have been clearer as to the ridiculous opinion towards certain ideas. As some do hold merit, however not within this thread and most have already been brainstormed with much more meticulously in other threads.

Anywho how you doing dude. My alt is Thor we've meet in game. Got any foundry yourself. If there as incredible as your PVP I'd like to play them.
Lt. Commander
# 118
02-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relict View Post
Only one thing I'm seeing that's missing here: The ability to force changes to character skins temporarily. Let's say, for instance, I wanted to do an infiltration mission on Q'onos. I'd like to force the Captain to get "surgery" and, for this single particular mission, appear to be a Klingon. Just a nice little immersion feature that would be nice.
Interesting idea for under-cover and first contact missions where you could to to ships sickbay or tailor and run through the character customization set-up in order to achieve the physical representation necessary for the mission.

it is perfectly canon and a good idea. I am all for it.
Lt. Commander
# 119 Solo
02-18-2011, 05:24 PM
I'd like to be able to enter a map, alone. There are several scenarios that would be better served by being solo. Being called to an Admiral's office for orders or info, for example. This can be done now, with a little trickery, but doesn't always work properly. I got ripped up in one review because the poor guys BO's all fell through the floor. As it is, now, using a turbolift on a map can get your officers hung up as well. It should at least be an option, when designing, to be able to go it alone.

Oh, and Scott, I agree 100%. One of my first missions was a covert op at the Great Hall and I even suggested in the mission notes to bring along a Klingon costume for it to be more immersive. That's optional, of course.
Lt. Commander
# 120 Requested Options.
02-19-2011, 03:19 AM
I donno if these have been mentioned before, but that's alot of searching and reading.. so..

Basically the ability to alter the physical state of the players ship is critical to the type of mission I'm trying to plan... Shields won't work.. No Full impulse, Damaged inflicted (along with graphics) on the ship. Think Voyager's "Year of Hell" episodes..

As a bonus..

Player Made Movies (cut scenes)
Timers
More enviroments in space and on ground.. Nebuias that defy sensors, and are as thick as pea soup, huge lighting bolts..

That kind of stuff..

Oh.. an offline Editor is 100% required. I know you have security concerns. But maybe anyone who uses the offline editor (along with full abilities granted) and is uploaded to the trilbble server, that only after it's been tested and judged, it would get a full blown review by a dev? one or two missions a week would only qualify for final approval.. Wouldn't that be enough time to make sure someone isn't trying something sneaky?

Basically I want to write a story you'd read in one of the novels, with all the subtext, walking conversations, background and suspense that entails.. Having to walk into your ready room to receive a coded subspace message, Talking to your First officer.. Etc etc.. More tools, more options.

Thanks!