Lt. Commander
# 251
03-06-2012, 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynt_DoubleBrook
Transporter pads as doorways from one map to another (imagine that)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynt_DoubleBrook
The ability to create cutscenes
These are 2 very welcome additions, should they decide to do so. I'm sure there are a ton of other great ideas in this thread, but I simply skipped to the last page. (yes, I actually went there.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroNavigator
It gets very bad when your story wants you for example to go to map 1, then go to map 2, then go to map 3 and then if you need to return to map 2 you have to make a copy - map 2.1.
This troubles me. I haven't yet set up a foundry mission, but this would seem like a very large hassle.

On the "haven't yet set up a foundry mission" tip, can anyone point me to a thread on how to start one from the ground-up. When I say ground-up, I mean "how can I access the Foundry in the first place?"

Sorry, didn't mean to highjack the thread on that last part. I just need help, since I already wrote the mission and want to plop in the commands.
Lt. Commander
# 252
03-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperthumper
Can anyone point me to a thread on how to start one from the ground-up. When I say ground-up, I mean "how can I access the Foundry in the first place?"
On the character screen, click the "Create Content" tab. If you're a Silver player, you need to purchase Foundry slots for 10,000 RD. Then create a character for testing your mission, and you're off.

As for constructing your mission, I highly recommend "Foundry 101", a blog by @alimac30. Link: http://foundry101.wordpress.com/
Lt. Commander
# 253
03-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Thank you very much!

I still don't understand why the site doesn't have an FAQ for such basic questions on The Foundry.

Thanks again!
Lt. Commander
# 254
03-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperthumper
Thank you very much!

I still don't understand why the site doesn't have an FAQ for such basic questions on The Foundry.

Thanks again!
It does. Under "The Game", click "The Foundry" and then the "FAQ" tab. Or, just follow this link: http://www.startrekonline.com/foundry_faq
Lt. Commander
# 255
03-06-2012, 04:03 PM
I was going to subscribe in just over a weeks time, and it was the Foundry that was drawing me to it. But after reading in these forums exactly what all the limitations are, I've been completely put off from subscribing. The foundry was the thing making me want to subscribe, but now I see that it's fairly limited in what it can do, I don't think I will be.
It's sad, I can't be the only one feeling this way. As JupiterBroadcasting's Chris mentions in STOked episode 109, the Foundry can keep the community happy - players like me will stay in the game just to create their own content, and others will remain in the game due to the new content being generated by the Foundry.

Please Mr Stahl, give us a Foundry that allows us to create missions on a par to those being created by your team. Not having this has stopped me subscribing, where-as having this would cause me to - and the law of averages would suggest that I'm not the only one.

(I'm not sure why I'm posting this - it's completely rhetorical, I don't expect or need a response from any body... I guess I just felt compelled to express my disappointment.)
Lt. Commander
# 256
03-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpoman
I was going to subscribe in just over a weeks time, and it was the Foundry that was drawing me to it. But after reading in these forums exactly what all the limitations are, I've been completely put off from subscribing. The foundry was the thing making me want to subscribe, but now I see that it's fairly limited in what it can do, I don't think I will be.
It's sad, I can't be the only one feeling this way. As JupiterBroadcasting's Chris mentions in STOked episode 109, the Foundry can keep the community happy - players like me will stay in the game just to create their own content, and others will remain in the game due to the new content being generated by the Foundry.
Don't let the limitations get you down. I almost gave up on the Foundry for the same reason when I started out, but then I started playing more UGC missions and I realized that with a little creativity, you can overcome almost all of the limitations in some fashion.

And you don't have to have a subscription to use the Foundry; you can buy project slots with Refined Dilithium in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 257
03-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsycoticVulcan
Don't let the limitations get you down. I almost gave up on the Foundry for the same reason when I started out, but then I started playing more UGC missions and I realized that with a little creativity, you can overcome almost all of the limitations in some fashion.
Hmmmm. Definately food for thought. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsycoticVulcan
And you don't have to have a subscription to use the Foundry; you can buy project slots with Refined Dilithium in the game.
Yeah I know. Maybe I'll give it a go then make a decision. Cheers.
Lt. Commander
# 258
03-09-2012, 03:07 PM
The limitations are putting me off a bit.
I've been complaing about this fact on the forums for a few weeks now, but I really can't get over the fact that they put the DS9 Promenade in as a map, but forget about OPS, Quarks and the upper promenade.

You can use OPS if you use "talk to contact" but you can't talk to the main characters like James Kurland.
You also can't use any Admirals or main storyline NPC's like Sulu, which is my second limitation irritation .
Lt. Commander
# 259
03-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredy777
I've been complaing about this fact on the forums for a few weeks now, but I really can't get over the fact that they put the DS9 Promenade in as a map, but forget about OPS, Quarks and the upper promenade.

You can use OPS if you use "talk to contact" but you can't talk to the main characters like James Kurland.
You also can't use any Admirals or main storyline NPC's like Sulu, which is my second limitation irritation .
That bugs me as well. The only Admiral we can use is Admiral Marconi at DS9, who doesn't even appear in any missions.
Lt. Commander
# 260
03-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredy777

I wanted to use Fleet Admiral Quinn in 2 different Foundry Missions. He did not exist, so I built him.

By the way, what is the number of maps limit?

Is there a list of Foundry Limits so when I am planning a mission, I don't go over the limits?

Thanks...