Lt. Commander
# 1 How do I change my user name ?
12-06-2010, 07:03 PM
So I have 1 playbable character, a Vulcan male Engineer. He has a First and Last name.

but then there is also "me" -- which appears in chat and all over the place as me @ jaynyc

i don't know the official term for these, is it "username" and "domain" ?

how do i change either or both of these tokens so that I can be foo @ whatever ?

When I registered and joined STO early last year, I didn't realize the username and domain would be permanent and visible-- i thought they were for login purposes only.

Thank you.

Note: I purchased the C-Store item "rename character" but I don't know how to use it, and I am not sure it actually does what I want it to do.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-06-2010, 07:49 PM
The rename token will change your characters short name, the one before the "@", and which is displayed over your avatar. The name after the "@" is your account name as seen on the forums and ingame chat. If that name is the same as your user name (the name you type in when you log in), then you can notify Cryptic customer service and they will change your account name (as they see it as an account security issue). However if it isn't, then it may not be so easy. You can still ask customer service, but it may take a while, or they'll tell you "no" outright.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-06-2010, 07:51 PM
how do I use the token I bought? i don't see it anywhere.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-06-2010, 08:37 PM
I believe you can use the token in game. Go to your character screen (press U) and click on your character. At the bottom there is a button that says Edit Record (I believe that is it). You should be able to rename your character there and use up the token.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-06-2010, 10:32 PM
The Rename token only works for the character Short Name of the character you were playing when you bought it.

If you open your Status window and choose Edit Record at the bottom. The Short Name at the top will allow you to change it. Normally the Short Name will be locked and will not allow changes.

--------------------------------------------

Now, if you were expecting to be able to change your global name (@name), there is only one way I know of to change that and it is dependent on you having used it as your Account name as well. In such a case you would email customer support and ask for them to change it.

Hope that helps.

Lt. Commander
# 6
12-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynyc View Post
So I have 1 playbable character, a Vulcan male Engineer. He has a First and Last name.

but then there is also "me" -- which appears in chat and all over the place as me @ jaynyc

i don't know the official term for these, is it "username" and "domain" ?

how do i change either or both of these tokens so that I can be foo @ whatever ?

When I registered and joined STO early last year, I didn't realize the username and domain would be permanent and visible-- i thought they were for login purposes only.

Thank you.

Note: I purchased the C-Store item "rename character" but I don't know how to use it, and I am not sure it actually does what I want it to do.
As far as I know this is the ONLY game or platform I have ever been on that does this. It's incredibly intrusive and dirt poor at helping insure privacy. People can even see when you are using your Instant messaging software if they are on your friends list. A completely horrible plan and excecution, simply forcing people to add a number or spell the name differently ie. Mary, Mary1, Mari, Enterprize...etc. would have worked without such an intrusion into your game world.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-06-2010, 10:39 PM
I don't believe you can change your "@name" right now. That is something they are looking into for the future I believe.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-07-2010, 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphicZoid
As far as I know this is the ONLY game or platform I have ever been on that does this. It's incredibly intrusive and dirt poor at helping insure privacy. People can even see when you are using your Instant messaging software if they are on your friends list. A completely horrible plan and excecution, simply forcing people to add a number or spell the name differently ie. Mary, Mary1, Mari, Enterprize...etc. would have worked without such an intrusion into your game world.
The way they did your name allows everyone to name their character, without having to make their name something stupid, like XSP0cKX or other strangeness.

It also helps keep goldspammers in check, as you post the entire account name when you right-click and hit the report spam function.

It is a little hard to hide from friends online I suppose, but it beats being named L33tZ0r or some nonsense like that.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-07-2010, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphicZoid
...And? So your friends know when you're using an IM client. They also know when you're playing champions online, and it's obvious when you're on holodeck, tribble or wherever. That is NOT in any way, shape or form an invasion of privacy or an intrusive door. If you don't like people knowing when you're in IM's, then set your privacy to be invisible to everyone.

But to the OP as others have said if your login name and your @ domain name is the same you can contact customer support for a change.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-07-2010, 04:18 AM
The @handle is the greatest thing about this game/cryptic. It keeps the griefing down and it allows fleets and friends to see you a lot easier.