Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
12-07-2010, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoinitright View Post
Don't waste your time Mustrum,you are trying to convince a zealot with facts that don't fit his worldview, & he will not (cannot?) listen The OP has refused to listen to reason in any of the threads he has hijacked to turn into no bad touch whinefests. OP has a history of this. just read any of his posts at random.Communication requires the Will to listen, And unless you agree with him, He is incapable of hearing you.
To anyone else reading this who agrees with the OP, the answer is easy.Stay out of PVP. Every BO ability in this game is much more effective when used by A thinking human, as opposed to a few lines of computer code.It doesn't take to long to figure out how to beat an AI. A REAL intelligence however, WILL sometimes be better than you.If this truth hurts, & makes you want to scream NERF, instead of encourage you to try harder, you are better off playing PVE.
QFT.......
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
12-07-2010, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoinitright View Post
Don't waste your time Mustrum,you are trying to convince a zealot with facts that don't fit his worldview, & he will not (cannot?) listen The OP has refused to listen to reason in any of the threads he has hijacked to turn into no bad touch whinefests. OP has a history of this. just read any of his posts at random.Communication requires the Will to listen, And unless you agree with him, He is incapable of hearing you.
To anyone else reading this who agrees with the OP, the answer is easy.Stay out of PVP. Every BO ability in this game is much more effective when used by A thinking human, as opposed to a few lines of computer code.It doesn't take to long to figure out how to beat an AI. A REAL intelligence however, WILL sometimes be better than you.If this truth hurts, & makes you want to scream NERF, instead of encourage you to try harder, you are better off playing PVE.
I suppose you are right, but I want to protect others from the misconceptions of the OP, in a fairly objective manner.

I really don't see me as a Top PvP or highly motivated elist. But I definitely see a big difference in attitude between me and a lot of people that scream "X is OP". Usually that attiude is that I expect and accept defeats. It's not that I don't fight, but I know that I won't win them all (and I don't), and that it is not automatically the fault of the game system that I can't beat my enemy.

I think there are quite a few aspects where balance is problematic and the system is at fault. But that doesn't mean that all the stuff people express loudly are among them, nor that the solution proposed by those people works. (Oh, the pet spam is your problem - Fed Carriers are exactly the right solution for that - NOT! Fight spam with more spam? Who's brilliant idea was that? Sure, turn Startrek into Star Wars and worsen your lag and targeting issues, great idea. Could you please never get into charge of anything relevant in any type of game I might ever play? Or in fact, anything ever that might touch my life?)

If you want to discuss stuns, there is only one thing we need - a temporary stun immunity after every stun. No stuns longer then about 5 seconds, and at least one reactive counter to it. We might consider some kind of temporary tractor beam resistance even, though I don't really think the power has ever been significantly abused - probably because it has several counters and most characters will be prepared to handle them in some way. There are really plenty of counters, and one of them is a Captain skill coupled with some energy management - so available that everyone got it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
12-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I suppose you are right, but I want to protect others from the misconceptions of the OP, in a fairly objective manner.

I really don't see me as a Top PvP or highly motivated elist. But I definitely see a big difference in attitude between me and a lot of people that scream "X is OP". Usually that attiude is that I expect and accept defeats. It's not that I don't fight, but I know that I won't win them all (and I don't), and that it is not automatically the fault of the game system that I can't beat my enemy.

I think there are quite a few aspects where balance is problematic and the system is at fault. But that doesn't mean that all the stuff people express loudly are among them, nor that the solution proposed by those people works. (Oh, the pet spam is your problem - Fed Carriers are exactly the right solution for that - NOT! Fight spam with more spam? Who's brilliant idea was that? Sure, turn Startrek into Star Wars and worsen your lag and targeting issues, great idea. Could you please never get into charge of anything relevant in any type of game I might ever play? Or in fact, anything ever that might touch my life?)

If you want to discuss stuns, there is only one thing we need - a temporary stun immunity after every stun. No stuns longer then about 5 seconds, and at least one reactive counter to it. We might consider some kind of temporary tractor beam resistance even, though I don't really think the power has ever been significantly abused - probably because it has several counters and most characters will be prepared to handle them in some way. There are really plenty of counters, and one of them is a Captain skill coupled with some energy management - so available that everyone got it.
Better be careful with your elitist attitude. You'll hurt someone's feelings because they can't PvP worth a crap.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
12-07-2010, 07:49 AM
A temporary, (10 sec maybe?) stun immunity would be nice, but I don't know that it's an absolute necessity. Many is the time I've been stunned 30-45 seconds straight, & had my Tank destroyed by my opponents teamwork while all i can do is watch. Instead of getting angry though, all I can think is, "that was well done".
& I think the ability to not get butthurt & appreciate your opponents skill is what separates a"true" PVPer from A casual one.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
12-07-2010, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoinitright View Post
A temporary, (10 sec maybe?) stun immunity would be nice, but I don't know that it's an absolute necessity. Many is the time I've been stunned 30-45 seconds straight, & had my Tank destroyed by my opponents teamwork while all i can do is watch. Instead of getting angry though, all I can think is, "that was well done".
Sometimes it is not just a balance issue, admittedly, but also a general gameplay. The concern "I am here to play, not to sit and die" is not entirely invalid. As you say, you can appreciate it, but we can't expect everyone to appreciate it and I suppose you would also appreciate it if they killed you in another skillfull manner (like stunning you exactly the moment it sucked the most for you ).

Quote:
& I think the ability to not get butthurt & appreciate your opponents skill is what separates a"true" PVPer from A casual one.
I don't think it's the difference between "true" and "casual". Maybe my expectations are wrong, but I see myself more casual then "true" I judge this by the fact that I still do some PvE, like Dailies, I am not regularly using Vent r similar tools, and that I never flew in a full premade, and certainly not one premade carefully optimzied for something).

But it makes the difference between how much you can enjoy PvP if you're not standing on the top already. You expect to lose. Early and often. But you have the ability to enjoy the small sucesses, the skill of your enemies, and the victories you actually achieve - and the general challenge of not knowing how a battle will turn out and what th enemy will bring to the table this time.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
12-07-2010, 08:24 AM
I was just rereading what i posted, & I shouldn't be posting on these forums before my first pot of coffee, I sound elitist, & I don't feel that i am an "elite" PVPer, PVP is just the part of the game i most enjoy. Being surprised by an awesome combo that spanks me down makes me start thinking of ways to try to beat it, or wondering if it's something i might want to try to do myself.I don't get mad about it. Fighting against Sci heavy stun/holding teams isn't easy. But why should it be?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
12-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Everyone who doesn't agree with my suggestion is clearly one of the people who like PvP unbalanced the way it is because they couldn't handle a real strategic challenge.

Imagine if all the holds were gone, all the current PvP champs would have nothing. They would be equal to everyone else, you know like the excuse cryptic used to nerf the galaxy X?

The fact that I can not express my opinion without all the badgering shows that they have something to hide and lose.

I'm sure people who experience the unfairness that is PvP and then read my posts are smart enough to make up their own opinions.

Funny how the pro hold people can express their opinions freely, yet I have "misconceptions."

I also like how I apparently "can't PvP worth a crap" because I have this opinion. I PvP just fine when I luck out with a good group.

It is also quite telling that there is the Emblem carrot on a stick approach to entice people to PvP. If it were all that great and balance why would you have to bait people to do it? The answer is because the rabid PvP'rs need their fix and most people figure out how PvP is real quick and avoid it.

I recommend people just play PvP for awhile and make their own opinions, this is something the pro hold people can not allow as the truth is VERY apparent.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
12-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thlaylie View Post
Everyone who doesn't agree with my suggestion is clearly one of the people who like PvP unbalanced the way it is because they couldn't handle a real strategic challenge.
Blatantly untrue. I've already said I never PvP at all. But you can keep your nerf herding to yourselves, not interfere with the way I play the game because of it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
12-07-2010, 12:37 PM
We're getting incredibly close to a flame war here, and there's a great deal of generalized inflammatory statements. "If you're not with me, you're obviously against me." If you're with him, it's only because you need to learn to play."

If you guys want to have a conversation about balance, have a conversation about balance. Not a conversation about who's best in PvP, and who has no skill so they have to cheat. Whether that's by "crying nerf" or "using OP skills and abilities".

Thread closed.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:02 AM.