Lt. Commander
ok i purchased startrek online to work for my pc desktop i loaded it with my external hard drive with cd/dvd burner because the hard drive in the computer dont work it detects the game and reads the dvd cd burner external hard drive but when i click on engage my computer says

"fatal error there is not enough available video memorey. please choose lower resolution settings or close other graphics applications. technical details:dsdeer_out of video memorey while creating 2d render target texture size 1024x768 (d3dfmt_a8r8g8b8)"

it does that everytime i try to play the game on my desktop pc ,

my pc is a gateway :-e-2500 x86 based pc windows xp home edition version 5.1 2600 service pack 2 build 2600 total virtual memory 20.00 gb available physical memory 20.64 available virtual memory 1.96 gb

i think the computer says 8/27/05 but the mfg date is :1-2006

but the game works fine on my wifes 2009 dell laptop computer but i need help on loading startrek online for my computer. does that mean i have to buy a memorey chip ???????video card????????will the game work for my computer, and is there a way i could download the programs online for startrek online to work for my computer. thanx
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-06-2010, 10:25 PM
I hate to say tt but the vid card is simply to old to handle STO, the only fix is a new one. I know that's not what u wanna hear, but i play on a 2008 sony vaio laptop, your pc is almost 6 yrs old. IThat simple line about a laptop 2009 vs a desktop 2005 is the tale telling likelihood...the memory it refers to is the video card virtual memory, check the box or online for minimal graphics requirements for sto. My dad's 2 yr old dell nividia card also cannot handle sto.

Here are the minimal system requirements,

Minimum requirements:
OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz or AMD Athlon X2 3800+
Memory: 1GB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics
Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
DirectX: Version 9.0c or higher
HDD: 8GB free disk space
Network: Broadband required
Disc: 6x DVD-ROM
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-06-2010, 10:33 PM
ok so you sayin the only way out of this situation is get a new pc ???
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Or buff up the one you have by getting it an extra gig of memory and a new video card. I would suggest Nvidia 8800 or better.

Lt. Commander
# 5
12-06-2010, 10:40 PM
would that work for my pc ??????
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-06-2010, 10:43 PM
You might have to tweak it here or there (get a new processor too maybe), but you should at least be able to get yourself up to minimum specs without buying an entirely new machine. And it would cost a lot less to do.

Lt. Commander
# 7
12-06-2010, 10:56 PM
is there a way to download the stuff to the pc to upgrade it if so where or will i have to buy it
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-06-2010, 11:41 PM
You can't download hardware i'm afraid. Gotta buy and install.or have installed. It may be worth looking at what places like Best buy have to say in Geek squad. write down your specs and talk to a worker.
Lt. Commander
# 9 Recomendation
12-07-2010, 08:28 AM
If you can afford it I would say get a new rig. The difference in game play alone would be worth it. A good rule of thumb is the rule of 4.

1. if your computer is 4 years old or more.
2. If you need to replace 4 or more components.
3. If you need to invest $400.00 or more.
4. (forgot the last one.)

Then it is usually a good Idea to replace. (this is not a hard fast rule but just a guideline.)

If you are unable to purchase a new rig then you could probably replace the parts you need for around a hundred dollars. Not including labor. (Buy a college student a pizza and he will prolly let you watch so you can do it yourself next time.)

Be sure to get with someone that knows exactly what pieces you need.

Hope this helps.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-07-2010, 09:43 AM
"my pc is a gateway :-e-2500 x86 based pc" - jameschristopherpike

Your system isn't equipped to run STO. Even if you found a way to load the game, it would run so badly as to be unplayable.

That is a very low end system by todays standards. It was a "value" system design for productivity applications and web surfing when it was new.

Your system only has 512 MB of DDR2-533mhz RAM and an integrated Intel GMA 900 GPU. Worse yet, you only have 1 x PCI Express X1 and 2 x PCI expansion slots. There are no quality, stable, modern GPU's offered for those slots that I know of.

If it is at all possible, you should consider buying, or building a new system. Just about any newer "multi-core" desktop PC with a discreet video card (look for ATI, or Nvidia in the specifications) from Gateway, Dell, or any other "brand name" munufacturer should be able to run STO. However, getting a new PC which is marketed as a "gaming" PC would likely provide a better experience.

You've gotten your money's worth out of that old computer. Buy yourself a new PC as a holiday present.