Lt. Commander
# 11
12-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Forum rankings are never a good idea. They only result in people posting nonsense that they wouldnt usually post in an attempt to "grind" the levels. As has already been saidin this thread, the only thing that actually matters is what someone says, not their name/avatar/forum rank.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Dominatus- View Post
It's fine as it is imo as all this will do is encourage people to post more spam like it always does in all forums.
I support this Message
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Dominatus- View Post
It's fine as it is imo as all this will do is encourage people to post more spam like it always does in all forums.
As some may recall, they did show the post count before beta started. But, people got it in their heads that more posts = increased chances of getting into beta, so there were problems with spamming, not to mention some people just being jerks to others due to some 'seniority' or something.

I've always thought that credibility would come through by the knowledge presented in the post.

That being said, some sort of tie between the game character and the forums would be nice... something to do with rank or achievements maybe.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Oh, and if you really want a work around, just click on the person and see their previous posts. I think it lists up to their last 500 or so. You can also see how frequently they've posts and things more relevant than a pure post count. For example, I probably have on the order of 5k posts but only a few dozen in the last year

EDIT:
Double post, OMG spammer!
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-07-2010, 02:35 PM
We're not going to be adding anything that strokes your ego based on how often you post.

As others have mentioned, what matters here is the content of your posts, and how you treat other individuals. Not how many posts you've made. That's why we've disabled the display of post count.

There are some things I'd like to see, and improve upon in the forums. I'd love to get "Forum Achievements" for you all. None of them will be related to your post count.

I'd love to see little buttons which let you cross post an awesome forum post, from anyone, to your FaceBook wall or twitter feed. I'd also like to see a way for users to "like" a post here on the forums, without using a 5 star thread rating system like VBB has packed in.

I'd love to see more integration of the game into the forums and website. Including a better Captain's Database, The ability to use titles you earn in-game as forum titles, a suite of tools to allow you to manage your fleets from the website, and I can just keep on going.

It's going to take time, but this is all stuff I'd love to see happen. What about you guys?

Thanks,

Stormshade

P.S. Tamgros! You need to post more.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Oh Dude I am so down for that

"Federation Ambassador DecadeComplete"
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-07-2010, 02:42 PM
One thing that only one person touched on in this thread is that you can only view your latest 500 posts. A lot of us have way more than that since beta. Also, we don't need a post count. Why should I care if you posted twice or two-thousand times? Like a lot of things in life, it's all about quality and not quantity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
I'd love to see more integration of the game into the forums and website. Including a better Captain's Database, The ability to use titles you earn in-game as forum titles, a suite of tools to allow you to manage your fleets from the website, and I can just keep on going.
Speaking of the captain's database, when are the pictures being fixed?
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Quote:
We're not going to be adding anything that strokes your ego based on how often you post.

As others have mentioned, what matters here is the content of your posts, and how you treat other individuals. Not how many posts you've made. That's why we've disabled the display of post count.

There are some things I'd like to see, and improve upon in the forums. I'd love to get "Forum Achievements" for you all. None of them will be related to your post count.

I'd love to see little buttons which let you cross post an awesome forum post, from anyone, to your FaceBook wall or twitter feed. I'd also like to see a way for users to "like" a post here on the forums, without using a 5 star thread rating system like VBB has packed in.

It's going to take time, but this is all stuff I'd love to see happen. What about you guys?

Thanks,

Stormshade

P.S. Tamgros! You need to post more.
Well fair enough on the whole ranking structure Might i suggest you take a little stroll over to vborg, they have some pretty nifty integrations for facebook and twitter (and all very easy to do! )

Forum achievements are a REALLY nice idea adds a little fun to the site! And yes yes and MORE yes's to adding titles we earn in game to use as forum titles. I WANT THIS NOW MAKE IT HAPPEN NOW! (please don't kill me =X)
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-07-2010, 02:44 PM
You've got some good ideas...

Quote:
...Snipped....

What sort of "Forum Achievements are you talking about? Achievements such as "Most Humorous Reference to a Tribble?" or more seriously, "Most Helpful Post for a New Player?"

Quote:
That would be nice.

Quote:
That I would like to see. Maybe do something similar to what the Champions forum does--allow you to use your main character's picture as an avatar?

I read somewhere that someone proposed using a rank system. While we have one on my fanfiction writers groups' forum site, that's related to post count--which you've already stated is a no-go. Maybe tie in ranks to Forum Achievements?
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidFalkayn
I read somewhere that someone proposed using a rank system. While we have one on my fanfiction writers groups' forum site, that's related to post count--which you've already stated is a no-go. Maybe tie in ranks to Forum Achievements?
Rather than having a forum title structure based on how often you post (which is basically what we have now, only some users have some special forum titles available to them) I would rather have the ability to choose from title's you've unlocked in-game.

Essentially what I'm saying is, I'd rather you show off your in-game achievements/accolades, than I would your post count.

Thanks,

Stormshade