Lt. Commander
# 21
12-08-2010, 10:35 AM
I think all missions should be created and tested on tribble, once your fully happy with it only then can you export it to holodeck.
Least it would mean more polished stuff landing on holodeck instead of millions of dancing borg types lol.
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Quote:
I think all missions should be created and tested on tribble, once your fully happy with it only then can you export it to holodeck.
Least it would mean more polished stuff landing on holodeck instead of millions of dancing borg types lol.
That's what the reviews are for!
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axterix
To be honest, I don't think we really need client side saving for the whole. But we do need it for sub parts, things like costumes and maps we create.

The NPC costumes shouldn't represent much of an exploit or security risk, as player costumes can already be saved and it deals with a cosmetic issue. As Cryptic adds more options to the costume designer part of the Foundry, it gets that much harder to recreate an NPC so you can use it in one mission and a follow up one. The day the Foundry went down, I was going to start part 2 of my mission, but quit when I realized I'd have to recreate 7 or 8 NPCs. And if I were doing that mission on live, it'd be even worse, as I'd toss in some additional NPCs for flavor that would also need to exist in both.

The same holds true for maps. If I design a system for a mission to take place in, one with lots of asteroids, some moons, space stations, and so on, then return to that system in another mission, it'd be a major pain to have to create the entire map again.

Basically, a way to get costumes and maps from one project to another is close to pretty much a necessity if you want people to be able to do multi-mission story arcs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
Yeah, but that's why I'm suggesting an indirect form of save rather than files the server uses directly. Essentially, just to do what a human could do manually if they had perfect memory.
I've suggested similar ideas to the developers.

the response was (paraphrased) even if they do something like that, they'd focus on performance improvements before launch and stuff like this afterwards. It could very well all be related to tweaking the code for performance and ensuring the back-end infrastucture is broad enough.
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Arrrgh! This means the map I've spent days working on, is going to be trashed and I'lll have to do it all over again!?!
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-16-2010, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan.Skon View Post
Arrrgh! This means the map I've spent days working on, is going to be trashed and I'lll have to do it all over again!?!
Sadly, yes. That is why you should have a backup of everything.

It is also the reason why my first mission being built is also not going to have any of the final dialog- and why i have labelled my mission a beta. something for people to see what i am working on.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-16-2010, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apt.pupil
Sadly, yes. That is why you should have a backup of everything.

It is also the reason why my first mission being built is also not going to have any of the final dialog- and why i have labelled my mission a beta. something for people to see what i am working on.
Now by backup, do you by any chance mean that I can somehow backup my map? The dialogue I've just put into a word file, but its the actual custom map that I've spent so much time making. It's a huge city and I had to place each building, each NPC, piece by piece, rotate it so it faces the right way, etc.

Does anyone know if there will be any way to save that, back it up, export it?
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-16-2010, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan.Skon View Post
Now by backup, do you by any chance mean that I can somehow backup my map? The dialogue I've just put into a word file, but its the actual custom map that I've spent so much time making. It's a huge city and I had to place each building, each NPC, piece by piece, rotate it so it faces the right way, etc.

Does anyone know if there will be any way to save that, back it up, export it?
I dont know about you, but i have entire map sketches as well as dialog backup.

but now that i got it all on the screen, i may just take screenshots and save them all to a zip file so recreating it will be easier
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-16-2010, 03:39 AM
Seeing so many missions hit tribble i wouldnt be surprised if Cryptic temporsrily added a export/import once it goes across to holodeck so the current ones on tribble can be transfered and holodeck instantly has hundreds of new missions.

Plus it would make our life alot easier and i really hope they do this, im praying lol
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-16-2010, 04:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewzz View Post
Seeing so many missions hit tribble i wouldnt be surprised if Cryptic temporsrily added a export/import once it goes across to holodeck so the current ones on tribble can be transfered and holodeck instantly has hundreds of new missions.

Plus it would make our life alot easier and i really hope they do this, im praying lol
ther eis an import project function currently on foundry, however it is inactive, and i am yet to find an export function- however import/export projects are definitely in the plans- i just dont think its gonna be for beta foundry missions to export onto holodeck. we shall see
Lt. Commander
# 30 Transfer
12-16-2010, 05:02 AM
A one time Transfer would be nice. It would be a reward for the people made stuff. Here is hoping.