Lt. Commander
# 91
02-08-2011, 06:31 PM
I should change that. When a thread over 5-6 items long it works in last to first. When 4 or 5 it can't make up its mind. And, when 2 or 3 (sometime 4 & 5) it works first to last. I'm beginning to believe it is supposed to work first to last, but bugs over a given length.
Lt. Commander
# 92
02-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Lt. Commander
# 93
02-12-2011, 09:35 PM
q w e r t y u i o p a s d f g h j k l z x c v b n m

should be binded to /tell era@uglyhealboat HEAL ME PLZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 94
02-12-2011, 09:47 PM
All my letters are bound to self destruct.
Lt. Commander
# 95
02-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krizonar
"Break enemy Starship's windows with the power of metal."

Is that a new Science Crown Control Power, or more Tactical.

LOL
Lt. Commander
# 96 Skills change erratically?
02-14-2011, 11:25 AM
A well written tutorial about the binding of keys.

The moment I read that saving a bind file first would give the default bindings, looked like a solution for a very annoying problem I encounter every now and then: occassionally my space skills change position randomly or even vanish (e.g. Attack Pattern Alpha is in tray with key binding "1" but suddenly it is available via "Ctrl+2" or it is gone and I have to find it in my skill list again). I have the feeling that each time I change something which influences my space skills, a random generator positions all my skills a new. Am I the only person with this problem? And is there still a solution using key bindings?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this problem. I checked the forum and the Internet in general, to find a solution for it - with no success :-(
Lt. Commander
# 97
02-15-2011, 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter42
A well written tutorial about the binding of keys.

The moment I read that saving a bind file first would give the default bindings, looked like a solution for a very annoying problem I encounter every now and then: occassionally my space skills change position randomly or even vanish (e.g. Attack Pattern Alpha is in tray with key binding "1" but suddenly it is available via "Ctrl+2" or it is gone and I have to find it in my skill list again). I have the feeling that each time I change something which influences my space skills, a random generator positions all my skills a new. Am I the only person with this problem? And is there still a solution using key bindings?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this problem. I checked the forum and the Internet in general, to find a solution for it - with no success :-(
I'm betting that, when these changes occur, you've probably just: 1) changed ships, 2) added a BOff or 3) trained a new ability. I believe this was supposed to have been fixed? (Can someone verify that, or not?) Whenever you do something that affects the BOffs, the system automatically attempts to populate the first empty slot with the newest ability and then remove the old ability. So, if you are keeping all your powers in your first three trays, swapping BOffs will cause this to happen.

I solve that problem by putting all the powers for each officer in the EXACT same place; using trays 3-10. (All my Captain abilities are managed in tray7.) Here is an example of my powertray layout. Once you establish this, you can set your keybinds and no matter what they will stay in place. Now, all you have to manage is adding/removing BOffs. It is also very efficient in that, if I change a BOff ability, I can easily modify a bindfile because I already knowing where the ability is referenced and I can swap BOffs as often as I like.

Here are examples of two of my bindfiles.

ZVSRKA.txt

ZVSRKG.txt

The only difference between the two is the 'G' and the 'A'; which happen to be my Sci BOffs. If I want to run two copies of TShS, I use 'A'. If i want to run TShS and HE, I use 'G'. I can swap them out as many times as I like; I only need to "/bind_load_file ZVSRK?.txt" each time.

Now, if I want to change 'A' to run ST1, all I have to do is modify any reference using TraySlot 2 4 (this is where ST would overwrite the current copy of TShS). I know it was used for TShS, so I look to that section; eliminate the "+TrayExecByTray 2 4". Next, I add "+TrayExecByTray 2 4" to the Science Team section. Load the new bindfile and viola, I have a new layout without abilities shifting on me.

I hope this made sense. It is 230am and I'm a little grogy. If you need clarification, let me know or PM me.
Lt. Commander
# 98
02-15-2011, 04:42 AM
Thank you for this detailed information. This issue with trays 1 to 3 sounds promising, I will try to switch to a setting you propose and hopefully all these random replacements of my skills vanish! Otherwise you'll hear again from me .
Lt. Commander
# 99
02-15-2011, 06:54 AM
Looks great so far - thanks again tranceaddict. Switched BO's multiple times and changed ship equipment without any changes - at least in the higher tray rows I populated with the skills. The only remaining issue seems to be the skill "full impulse" which vanishes the moment I change between Aegis and Borg engine?! But that at least I can work around using keybindings ...
Lt. Commander
# 100
02-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter42
Looks great so far - thanks again tranceaddict. Switched BO's multiple times and changed ship equipment without any changes - at least in the higher tray rows I populated with the skills. The only remaining issue seems to be the skill "full impulse" which vanishes the moment I change between Aegis and Borg engine?! But that at least I can work around using keybindings ...

Drop that from your trays; its only necessary if you click powers to activate them (of which I'm not a fan). If you go to your Options>KeyBinds menu you will find an option for full impulse and you can set it there. OR, use this:

<key> "GenSendMessage Throttle_FullImpulse_Button FullThrottle"

I use Alt+E.

Also, drop any pre-loaded stuff like your weapon (unless you want that much control) and shield distribution activations (definitely, you can use commands).

Set your power tray to 2 trays and use this:

<key> "GenSetEarlyOverrideFloat Hud_Tray_Primaryparent1 x 75 $$ gensetvalue Hud_root traysize 10 1"

This will resize your 2x8 layout for 2x10, so you can see all the powers. Rotate the bottom row to your Captain powers and the top to whatever else you want to monitor. It also brings your Bridge Officer Tray (the one with pretty colors and your BO pix) back, so you can monitor their abilities.

I used to be a proponent of the 3-layout+weapons+BOs, but I have found that this layout provides all the information needed to monitor and eliminates clutter. No need to move powers around to see them the Captains row and the BO tray handle that for you.