Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway
Login

Lt. Commander
Is there some way to save out and re-load what powers are in what slot? Something analogous to what the /bind_load_file does ?

Here's what's going on, for me...

In space, if I change ships, *all* my powers are a complete mess, randomly assigned. (Thank you, by the way, for putting self destruct right where I'll push it first thing... )

Later, if I change ships back, the first ship's powers are jumbled as well. Strangely, it remembers my energy settings for that ship, seemingly forever!

If I change which boff is sitting in a seat, his powers will be stuck randomly in the opened up spaces. When I go back to the first boff, his powers also do not resume.

So, the short version is, for space, if I want to swap ships, I get to spend a while reorganizing *all* my powers before I can go have fun, every time I swap. If I just want to swap a boff to match circumstances, then I still usually have to dig and arrange at least a little bit.

For ground, it's a bit better... I can swap my weapons back and forth and weapon power X1 replaces Y1 and X2 replaces Y2 just fine.

But... if I change what other equipment I'm carrying, it will appear in some random spot, and of course neither item will remember where it was supposed to be. So, if I swap a weapon battery for a triolic thigiamajig, then the triolic will show up not in the same spot as the battery was in.

What I'm hoping is that we can get a permanent system to remember where things go when assigned, or at least specify "boff power x goes in slot y when it's present" or "equipment x goes in slot y when it's present". But if we don't have that, then at least I'll make a nice big text file with all of everything, and load from that, if it's possible.

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-28-2010, 06:58 AM
I agree wholeheartedly. This is the only reason I don't take my other ships out for a spin once in a while, and instead always stick to one.

It would also be nice if it remembered which Bridge Officers you had assigned to which slots when you change ship.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-28-2010, 11:13 AM
This problem is what killed my plans to farm data samples with my runabout. I'm trying to decide if it's more annoying trying to turn in around in an exploration cruiser or resetting all my powers every time I change ships.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-02-2011, 03:01 PM
I support this, and I've already started a thread here. It's really a pain to have to sit there for a few minutes before going anywhere, after everything was already set up the way I like it. Same goes for the ground ability tray.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix316 View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. This is the only reason I don't take my other ships out for a spin once in a while, and instead always stick to one.

It would also be nice if it remembered which Bridge Officers you had assigned to which slots when you change ship.
Ditto, if would be nice if we could save ship assignments and shipp power bar layouts to files and save and reload them like we can currently with keybinds via the 'Bind_Save_File" and "Bind_Load_File" slash commands.

If this IS already possibe, any one who knows the appropriate / command and can post it here; that would be nice; but if it's not possible, it would be a great feature for the Devs to add to their 'to do' list; and I can spend up to 20 minutes redoing my power bars when I make a BO or ship selection change.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-13-2011, 07:31 AM
I've still been trying to find information about this, but to no avail yet.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Actually, the layout when changing ships is not so random, though I don't understand the mechanics. I'm too lazy, and don't care enough to figure out exactly how it works.

I also noted after one of my ship changes, that most things ended up where they were supposed to be; and it seems that these big changes and apparent randomness are more likely to be caused when you get a new ship, put all your old stuff into it, and then expect the new ship to have the same hot bar layout. It seems once you set things up, that they are more sticky.

Normally this is one of those things I would go look up in the manual, but.............
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-13-2011, 11:13 AM
The ship skills are a lot 'stickier' than they used to be, but not perfect.

I agree it would be nice if it remembered the mapping in terms of which BO / Capt / Weapon slot goes to which toolbar slot, so that I could swap out a BO and have the new skills go exactly where the old ones were.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Another thing I have noticed is after every second or third zone change, some of my powers just randomly disappear. It appears to be limited to the transwarp powers (from Diplomacy), but it is very strange...
Lt. Commander
I don't know how well this would go over, but it's a thought...

What if the power bars were redesigned with 4 levels instead of 3? My idea is:

Bar 1 (1-0): Ship's weapons and captain's powers (i.e., slipstream, distribute shields)
Bar 2 (Ctrl+#): BO Tactical powers
Bar 3 (Alt+#): BO Science powers
Bar 4 (Shift+#): BO Engineer powers

I'd like to keep the 10 slots that we have now. These bars would only need to have 8 slots for BO's, and any extra spaces would be available for slotting extra captain's powers. I would also love to see these bars color-coded by career: red for Tactical, blue for Science, and yellow for Engineering, and white (suggestion?) for command.

I wish was some way that these slots could be linked to the Crew Assignments tab. For example, if you're running a Sovereign-class ship, you have 2 Tactical (Ensign and Lieutenant), 2 Engineers (Lt. Cmdr. and Cmdr.), and 1 Science (Lieutenant) BO. Slots 1-4 on Bar 2 would be assigned to the Ensign, 5-8 to the Lieutenant, and so on for the other officers. That way, whenever you change ships, their powers would automatically be assigned to a preset slot.

I'm no programmer, so I'm not even sure that this is possible. It does sound feasible, though.

Any thoughts?