Lt. Commander
# 1 Can I run STO with this...
12-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Im getting a new laptop and was just wondering if the specs will handle STO. (I want graphic settings on highish really)

The important info is;
Intel Core i5 430M Processor
4GB Memory
ATI Radeon HD5870 1GB 3D Graphics Card

-im concerned that the graphics card is not Nvidea and was wondering; can i still have it on good graphics?

-Will I be able to play with good graphics? (high graphics? )

Thanks for any replys
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-07-2010, 05:19 PM
The i5 is a lower to mid-tier processor but should be fine for STO. Your ATI card will allow you to run the game with ultra settings with two exceptions:

1. Ultra settings will cause your graphics card to get HOT, so heat may become an issue for a laptop.
2. ATI cards have a known crash issue with dynamic lighting, but this can be resolved by lowering the number of dynamic lights and/or disabling dynamic lighting in advanced video settings.

One item you didn't mention was your hard drive. Most new laptops ship with 7200 RPM or SSD drives and should be fine. An SSD drive will provide faster map transfers.
Lt. Commander
Thank you for the info (soz about the late reply)

The specs im getting now are slightly improved thanks to your help

ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650 Graphics
- 1GB Dedicated

Im no tech/IT expert but the hard drive on the laptop is 500GB SATA. is that as good as the " 7200 RPM or SSD drives" ?

If you want to know what laptop it is; HP Pavilion dv7-4045ea
a good choice?

Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-13-2010, 04:25 AM
I'll give you a quick piece of advice:

Don't buy a laptop for gaming. For the same amount of cash you can get twice the computer in a desktop.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purnell
Im no tech/IT expert but the hard drive on the laptop is 500GB SATA. is that as good as the " 7200 RPM or SSD drives" ?Thanks
You'll need to get a bit more information about the drive to determine if it is 7200 RPM. Most laptop hard drives are 5400 RPM (lower noise, lower power requirements). If the drive is 7200 RPM, you should be fine. If you can get a part number out of your config, you should be able to search online for the exact specifications. A user manual for the laptop should also list the RPM speed under hardware specs.

Note: The 5400 RPM drive will also work, it's just that loading the game and map transfers will take longer.