Lt. Commander
# 1 Rubber Banding... Again.
12-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Me and my friends have had a lot of trouble with this game in the past, which is why I'm suddenly finding it so odd that we are now. Or more specifically, that I am.

Let me clarify; In the past, I was rarely the one to have any server connection issues, while my friend who also owns the game, has almost always had them. Things have changed since then.
Its nearing the year mark on when we started playing in the BETA, and now we live in the same apartment. I stopped playing the game for a while, as did he until recently. Seeing him play it, and finally without connection issues, slowly made me desire to play it again too. With my yearly subscription still going, I hopped on and tried to play, only to suddenly find it impossible. I cannot move. I run anywhere, and slingshot back to where I started. Again and again and again. I'd post a bunch more 'again's, but that would get irritating, I suspect. Eventually I tried beaming to my ship, and found I could fly a short distance. Then it started again. Now I can't do anything at all. It's rubber banding at an alarming rate.

I've already port forwarded, but I shouldn't even need that. I see my roommate play without problem Every Day for hours. He isn't even home right now, so it wouldn't be a problem with us both trying to play. He doesn't even have the ports forwarded.

I would enjoy playing STO again. But for that to occur, I kind of need to be able to play. =/
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Are you using a wireless connection? If so, you can try disabling the wireless connection and connect to your router or modem directly with a network cable and confirm that you have internet with the wired connection.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-07-2010, 04:15 PM
No, I'm connected directly to our modem. It /has/ wireless, but that is also secured and no one else is home.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Are you running anything in the background that might steal CPU cycles or a virus scanner that might be scanning data files and information that's being downbload as you play the game; or any sort of firewall or other internet security app?

(I agree it sounds strange that he has no issues if you're both using the same connection and you still experience issues when you're the only one on teh connection so I can only assume there's some app in the ackground cause a problem.)
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-08-2010, 07:20 AM
It's not a background problem, unfortunately [that would be an easy fix]. Its connection to the server I'm having issues with. It keeps booting me, and doesn't seem to be accepting information from me or something. I can see other players moving fine, but if I try to move, it will just send me back to where I started, as if I had never moved.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-08-2010, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalRetreat
Me and my friends have had a lot of trouble with this game in the past, which is why I'm suddenly finding it so odd that we are now. Or more specifically, that I am.

Let me clarify; In the past, I was rarely the one to have any server connection issues, while my friend who also owns the game, has almost always had them. Things have changed since then.
Its nearing the year mark on when we started playing in the BETA, and now we live in the same apartment. I stopped playing the game for a while, as did he until recently. Seeing him play it, and finally without connection issues, slowly made me desire to play it again too. With my yearly subscription still going, I hopped on and tried to play, only to suddenly find it impossible. I cannot move. I run anywhere, and slingshot back to where I started. Again and again and again. I'd post a bunch more 'again's, but that would get irritating, I suspect. Eventually I tried beaming to my ship, and found I could fly a short distance. Then it started again. Now I can't do anything at all. It's rubber banding at an alarming rate.

I've already port forwarded, but I shouldn't even need that. I see my roommate play without problem Every Day for hours. He isn't even home right now, so it wouldn't be a problem with us both trying to play. He doesn't even have the ports forwarded.

I would enjoy playing STO again. But for that to occur, I kind of need to be able to play. =/
You aren't alone, a number of threads regarding lag have been posted over the course of the last 6 or so weeks. I myself have had issues with it and I didn't have any prior. I can recall they began to take place after an update and have grown progressively worse.

I'm only taking a wild guess but I think the preparation for the Foundry and the new series and what ever they are doing and not sharing - is simply too much for the server.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Do some ping and tracert tests to Cryptic's server, and see what you get.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-08-2010, 02:59 PM
also post nettest results so we can see what the game data looks on some of the critical ports the game uses.

Nettest:
Go to http://files.champions-online.com/nettest.exe
Download this file and run it
A command prompt should appear running the test automatically

For good connections, column 1 and 3 have values around 500 kb/sec (outgoing/incoming), column 2 has values around 20 kb/sec (transfer rate)

also port forwarding is not required but ports open is. If you forward usualy traffic is routed to one specific computer. if another computer on the same network trys to play they will have problems cause the traffic is being returned to a different computer cause of the forwarding.