Lt. Commander
# 1 Open Space Open PvP
12-07-2010, 08:13 PM
The new look to sector space is awesome and the fact that traffic control is replaced by my BOff is better but still a long way from what I'd like to see. I imagine it is a server issue as restricted we are for space travel from system to system?

Anyway, I was watching and hearing players cry foul when a Klingon beamed to ESD and klilled the NPC's. I so wanted to help out my defense force on ESD but alas I could not shoot at the klingon!

The thought of opening the gates of space is not new and I don't think I need to elaborate too much on it except that I would offer that space sectors not be blocks with borders to transistion to another map! I should be able to plot and fly directly to DS9 without having to go down to go over!

What this would do though is allow cross faction flights! Klingons would have the ability to raid ESD as would the Federation be able to raid Qo'nos! If that where to happen however, then the player that attacks should be PvP flagged and then can be attacked by other players at the cost of being PvP flagged themselves!

I'm sure this is probably being looked into for season 5 or 6 but I just wanted to post my interest into it here. Sector Space should not be an Open PvP area however some sectors could be designated open PvP namely Eta Eridani!

Additionally, sector space could be mapped into 3D grids. I say this cause in the series they would plot a course to 2487 mark 43. A point in space not necisarilly a system but maybe a point of research. Just a thought anyway but this would put in place exactly where a system is and it would preset that so when you plot a course to X system that is close to the top of the map you fly to to top of the map where the system is not to a point below the system.

Hopefully then we can have a space map that we can plot courses to any system we want to go. I would say if it is possible that we be able to see a small portion of the map, this represents what has been explored thus far, and the rest of the map could be in a fog that we can plot a course into unknown space and truely explore!

As far as the exploration maps go you could open them up as well! Make the anomoly a plottable course and when you enter the "system" it is a lage spacious map that maybe is like being in an anamoly like in the series! As you travel around your BOff would alert you to "oddities" that maybe you want to check out.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-07-2010, 08:41 PM
They have already posted about looking into removing the ''blocks'' later on. Problem is that the game was designed with the current system in mind, so therefore removing these ''barriers'' would require a complete overhaul of said system. Not that its impossible, but it is very time consuming. Hopefully it will be implemented later on.

As for the open pvp zone then if they were to remove these barriers then they could use the neutral zones between different factions as the open pvp areas (where the whole sector could be just a big pvp hotzone with starbases defended by npc ships and friendly ships, and that you can get supplies and repair at, etc; and if you continued into that faction's space territory then you would be able to do raids and stuff). This would add to the social aspect since you would have people asking for help to fight these raiding enemies and such. (yes there might be ganking and such but lets think in baby steps for now )

If they were to remove the barriers it would be interesting if they added to this new, continuous space the ability to scan for anomalies and find them spread throughout the space, instead of just in star clusters (or, if you're using your Klingon, scanning for cargo ships waiting to be raided by our glorious warriors ). Would definitely add to that ''Star Trek'' feel the devs have continuously stressed that they want to improve, since you would be flying and exploring and scanning anomalies that you find in your travels throughout the whole space, and not just one area in particular. Heck, you could even receive distress signals from npc or player ships asking help against Klingon raiders, which is another form of open pvp.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragamite View Post
The new look to sector space is awesome and the fact that traffic control is replaced by my BOff is better but still a long way from what I'd like to see. .....
......As you travel around your BOff would alert you to "oddities" that maybe you want to check out.
No need to re-post the whole thing to say, I like it. Nothing in there that I don't see as an improvement to the game.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-07-2010, 09:13 PM
/support

i see more and more players coming forward asking for open pvp. I think its a grand idea.

But with the pve community, it has to be implemented so they dont get flagged if they dont want to participate. But I think this is a great idea, and one ive talked about numerous times.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Yeah, I would love this, and it would add that "War" feeling to STO rather than the rather pointless feeling that the particular plot line has right now.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLocutusXx
/support

i see more and more players coming forward asking for open pvp. I think its a grand idea.

But with the pve community, it has to be implemented so they dont get flagged if they dont want to participate. But I think this is a great idea, and one ive talked about numerous times.
Make it to where you don't get flagged until you engage. As an example. Feddie beams onto K-7 to do ship maintenance and a little R&R. Then beams in a Klink raiding party. Klink targets feddie and klink is now flagged.
Now feddie has two options.
1) He decides he does not want to play and walks away unscathed.
or
2) He whips out is phaser and fights back. Feddie is now flagged.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLocutusXx
/support

There is a method that can handle this and will make things somewhat simpler.

A choice needs to be made to PVP, and if that choice is made, you are flagged for PVP for random amount of real time from 1 full day (24 hrs) up-to full days (72 hrs). This way if person DECIDES to PVP, they know full well they will be flagged to PVP for more than just the few minutes they want to go around and (gank fight someone.

The option should be a clicky bullet in options that says:

O Enable open PVP mode (Warning this will result in your character being in PVP mode for 24hrs)
O Disable open PVP mode (Open PVP mode will be disabled after you have been in PVP mode for a total of 24 hrs. Any PVP after turning off PVP Mode will result in being PVP flagged for an additional 10 hrs)

The above stricture about remaining in PVP mode for a minimum of 10 hours after engaging in PVP is to prevent people from going into PVP mode, ganking someone and then turning off PVP mode to prevent retaliation.

Or something similar anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-07-2010, 10:11 PM
There is a little arrow to the right of your mini map. If you hit that arrow there is an option that will bring up a menu to select from several different types of PvP. You can do this from anywhere in STO. That is as close as the majority of people who play STO ever want to get to open PvP. Fortunately Cryptic is listening to the majority in this at this time rather than the minority as it does in other things.

The dismissing phrase being used from the launch of STO has been "go play eve if you want open PvP". Largely, that is still relevant. Realistically it makes no sense because if you wanted to play EVE you would be. So stay in STO but realize those who want any type of open PvP are in the vast minority and will probably not ever see that as a feature. There are FAR more pressing issues the dev team needs to address than this pipe-dream.

Flame away, if you wish.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
There is a little arrow to the right of your mini map. If you hit that arrow there is an option that will bring up a menu to select from several different types of PvP. You can do this from anywhere in STO. That is as close as the majority of people who play STO ever want to get to open PvP. Fortunately Cryptic is listening to the majority in this at this time rather than the minority as it does in other things.

The dismissing phrase being used from the launch of STO has been "go play eve if you want open PvP". Largely, that is still relevant. Realistically it makes no sense because if you wanted to play EVE you would be. So stay in STO but realize those who want any type of open PvP are in the vast minority and will probably not ever see that as a feature. There are FAR more pressing issues the dev team needs to address than this pipe-dream.

Flame away, if you wish.
Flaming is not needed. It is a totally valid point and I agree that other issues need to be adressed/changed/revamped before moving on to pvp (and so do the devs, since they have already said that pvp changes would occur in season 5+). I do, however, want to point out that the difference between the little arrow system and an open pvp zone is that there is no queue involved in the latter. So, it would be more spontaneous and unexpected (or expected if its a planned battle between fleets, or joining in a raid against an enemy faction starbase, etc, with more than just 5 or 10 ships). It would add to the sense of being in a state of war that the game is supposed to have, and would add a more Trek feel since you would face enemies as you explore .
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-07-2010, 10:17 PM
I am not an avid PvPer (I only PvP occationally with fleet mates) but, I do believe that at least Eta Eridani and Pi Canis should be open PvP. It just makes sense. For asses kicks, move Star Base 24 into Pi Canis for a little station action.
Closed Thread