Lt. Commander
# 91
12-13-2010, 05:45 PM
The thing I always try to remind people about is this:

Instances have caps of around 25 players.

So if you want open PvP on Qo'noS or ESD, you're either going to get luck of the draw or people instance hopping till they get favorable odds (ie. you wind up with an instance of Qo'noS with 23 Feds and 1 Klingon and that 1 Klingon is incapable of getting more than 1 reinforcement) or the PvP instances will be setup as 12 v 12 max, in which case the PvP ESD or Qo'noS is going to be a lot more sparsely populated when no PvP action is going on.
Lt. Commander
# 92
12-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99

And that is the extent of what you know. The rest is well informed, speculation. In that we're talking about implementing a new type of instance, the level cap could also be subject to adjustment. Limiting players so as to keep it from feeling crowded is unnecessary and actually counter-productive. Big massive PvP battles are a desirable possibility.

Quote:
So if you want open PvP on Qo'noS or ESD, you're either going to get luck of the draw...
That's the whole point of Open PvP. It's unpredictable.

Quote:
... or people instance hopping till they get favorable odds (ie. you wind up with an instance of Qo'noS with 23 Feds and 1 Klingon and that 1 Klingon is incapable of getting more than 1 reinforcement)...
Again, new type of instance, new rules can be implemented. Have only one PvP instance. Prevent instance changing. Good call on this.

Quote:
...or the PvP instances will be setup as 12 v 12 max, in which case the PvP ESD or Qo'noS is going to be a lot more sparsely populated when no PvP action is going on.
Personally I'm against the whole concept of "setup" in Open PvP. Spontaneity is one of the attractions.
Lt. Commander
# 93
12-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99

So if you want open PvP on Qo'noS or ESD, you're either going to get luck of the draw or people instance hopping till they get favorable odds (ie. you wind up with an instance of Qo'noS with 23 Feds and 1 Klingon and that 1 Klingon is incapable of getting more than 1 reinforcement) or the PvP instances will be setup as 12 v 12 max, in which case the PvP ESD or Qo'noS is going to be a lot more sparsely populated when no PvP action is going on.
Hopefully someone gets Cryptic some new servers for Christmas and they can open them up to 100 without lag!
Lt. Commander
# 94
12-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
There is a little arrow to the right of your mini map. If you hit that arrow there is an option that will bring up a menu to select from several different types of PvP. You can do this from anywhere in STO. That is as close as the majority of people who play STO ever want to get to open PvP. Fortunately Cryptic is listening to the majority in this at this time rather than the minority as it does in other things.

The dismissing phrase being used from the launch of STO has been "go play eve if you want open PvP". Largely, that is still relevant. Realistically it makes no sense because if you wanted to play EVE you would be. So stay in STO but realize those who want any type of open PvP are in the vast minority and will probably not ever see that as a feature. There are FAR more pressing issues the dev team needs to address than this pipe-dream.

Flame away, if you wish.
I would like to add to this that their are already "War Zones" in the game, both planet and space where you have large maps and can openly PvP. Ker'rat as I understand it is so bad they are consideringing removing it. And the planet ones I guess are never used. If open PvP is in such demand, why not? Fleets could be using them no?

I personally have no interest in seeing the types of problems inherint in Ker'rat or the incidents at ESD spread across the game on a larger scale. Or the associated lag it would create if I was forced to watch.

I think the OP's idea of free space travel is a good one, but he should have, in my opinion left it at that and not tried to tie open PvP to it. Personally have zero interest in it. And what's here isn't used and where it is used, it's such a problem it's ready to be removed from the game.
Lt. Commander
# 95
12-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphicZoid
I would like to add to this that their are already "War Zones" in the game, both planet and space where you have large maps and can openly PvP. Ker'rat as I understand it is so bad they are consideringing removing it. And the planet ones I guess are never used. If open PvP is in such demand, why not? Fleets could be using them no?

I personally have no interest in seeing the types of problems inherint in Ker'rat or the incidents at ESD spread across the game on a larger scale. Or the associated lag it would create if I was forced to watch.

I think the OP's idea of free space travel is a good one, but he should have, in my opinion left it at that and not tried to tie open PvP to it. Personally have zero interest in it. And what's here isn't used.
The probelm you get with all 4 "open PvP" maps (2 KvK and 2 KvF) is that you are not only fighting a PvP match but a PvE mission as well. This is not a true Open PvP model.

Open PvP doen not also mean that I will be able to attack any one at any time at my own pleasure! Open PvP being a zone where when you enter into it you run the threat of encountering hostils. The best exapms of this are the Nutral Zones! Encroaching into the nuetral zone can be viewed as an act of war and means that you can be fired upon without provocation!

How open PvP could work in STO is that sectors like Eta Eridani could be a war front where by going there you open yourself up to possible attack and you are insta flagged as PvP. Friendly space you are not flagged as PvP and enemy forces in your sector apear as nuetral forces until you attack. If you attack or flag yourself PvP then enemy forces apear as hostils!

We are told in the tutorial that the Klingons are trying to conquer the Romulans but there is no way for a Player Klingon to get close to Romulan space!

It would be cool if a open PvP match set up as a DSE but as you fly buy it asks if you want to Join the Open PvP match just like they ask if you want to join the DSE.
Lt. Commander
# 96
03-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Lets hope we see some of this introduced in the coming months!
Lt. Commander
# 97
03-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Please do not bump old threads, create a new one.
Closed Thread