Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
12-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx View Post
Flaming is not needed. I do, however, want to point out that the difference between the littler arrow system and an open pvp zone is that there is no queue involved in the latter. So, it would be more spontaneous and unexpected (or expected if its a planned battle between fleets, etc). It would add to the sense of being in a state of war that the game is supposed to have, and would add a more Trek feel since you would face enemies as you explore .
I am not flaming. I am expressing my opinion and my feelings on the topic and that is it. Sorry you think simple articulate yet adamant opposition is "flaming". As far as you pointing out the difference is concerned, I understand the difference completely. Please reread that part of my reply so you understand what I was saying.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
12-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
There is a little arrow to the right of your mini map. If you hit that arrow there is an option that will bring up a menu to select from several different types of PvP. You can do this from anywhere in STO. That is as close as the majority of people who play STO ever want to get to open PvP. Fortunately Cryptic is listening to the majority in this at this time rather than the minority as it does in other things.

The dismissing phrase being used from the launch of STO has been "go play eve if you want open PvP". Largely, that is still relevant. Realistically it makes no sense because if you wanted to play EVE you would be. So stay in STO but realize those who want any type of open PvP are in the vast minority and will probably not ever see that as a feature. There are FAR more pressing issues the dev team needs to address than this pipe-dream.

Flame away, if you wish.
I do. Frequently. I love to make the Carebears emeorage and whine about how I am so mean and terrible and evil cause I war dec'd their corp and blew up their hulks and and and we're going to report you for EULA/TOS violations because you attacked us without any reason at all (which is reason enough for me to keep them war decced).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
12-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwindspirit
I do. Frequently. I love to make the Carebears emeorage and whine about how I am so mean and terrible and evil cause I war dec'd their corp and blew up their hulks and and and we're going to report you for EULA/TOS violations because you attacked us without any reason at all (which is reason enough for me to keep them war decced).
Oh please...

There was no attack from me. only an opinion. Sorry to disappoint
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
12-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
I am not flaming. I am expressing my opinion and my feelings on the topic and that is it. Sorry you think simple articulate yet adamant opposition is "flaming". As far as you pointing out the difference is concerned, I understand the difference completely. Please reread that part of my reply so you understand what I was saying.
I think you misunderstand. He was not saying you were flaming. You told the masses to "flame away if needed" but he was just saying that flaming was not necessary.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
12-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
Oh please...

There was no attack from me. only an opinion. Sorry to disappoint
Didn't think you were attacking. I actually thought you articulated your point very well. However I personally do think that allowing a character to flag themselves for open/random PVP like I described is also a potentially good idea. Not sure how easy it would be considering how heavily the game is instanced but it would add a new level of potential fun to it.

*edit* I was referring to my EVE Game play btw
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
12-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiFan_78 View Post
I think you misunderstand. He was not saying you were flaming. You told the masses to "flame away if needed" but he was just saying that flaming was not necessary.
Exactly, good sir .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
I am not flaming. I am expressing my opinion and my feelings on the topic and that is it. Sorry you think simple articulate yet adamant opposition is "flaming". As far as you pointing out the difference is concerned, I understand the difference completely. Please reread that part of my reply so you understand what I was saying.
I was in the process of adding more to my post but you posted already. Here is the full reply.

Flaming is not needed. It is a totally valid point and I agree that other issues need to be adressed/changed/revamped before moving on to pvp (and so do the devs, since they have already said that pvp changes would occur in season 5+). I do, however, want to point out that the difference between the little arrow system and an open pvp zone is that there is no queue involved in the latter. So, it would be more spontaneous and unexpected (or expected if its a planned battle between fleets, or joining in a raid against an enemy faction starbase, etc, with more than just 5 or 10 ships). It would add to the sense of being in a state of war that the game is supposed to have, and would add a more Trek feel since you would face enemies as you explore .
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
12-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragamite View Post
Anyway, I was watching and hearing players cry foul when a Klingon beamed to ESD and klilled the NPC's. I so wanted to help out my defense force on ESD but alas I could not shoot at the klingon!

The thought of opening the gates of space is not new and I don't think I need to elaborate too much on it except that I would offer that space sectors not be blocks with borders to transistion to another map! I should be able to plot and fly directly to DS9 without having to go down to go over!

What this would do though is allow cross faction flights! Klingons would have the ability to raid ESD as would the Federation be able to raid Qo'nos! If that where to happen however, then the player that attacks should be PvP flagged and then can be attacked by other players at the cost of being PvP flagged themselves!
The problem w/ this is that you will have Klingons killing vendors and mission contacts and those of us who have 0 interest in pvp will not be able to do anything in ESD while The PvPers fight it out. All too often in WoW someone from the opposite faction would get a small group of friends and go on a killing spree, taking out quest givers, vendors, flight masters and auctioneers, leaving the area completely useless.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
12-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilv View Post
The problem w/ this is that you will have Klingons killing vendors and mission contacts and those of us who have 0 interest in pvp will not be able to do anything in ESD while The PvPers fight it out. All too often in WoW some one from the opposite faction would get a small group of friends and go on a killing spree, taking out quest givers, vendors, flight masters and auctioneers, leaving the area completely useless.
To remedy that they could make same invulnerable, or make ESD and Qo'Nos off limits to PVP but open up some of the other star bases (or make new ones just for PVP).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
12-07-2010, 11:37 PM
I for one and I don't think it's a secret don't ever want to be subjected to additional lag, noise and griefing and exploiting in ESD or in any area of space where the pve content is located.

Make a seperate server for PvP if the numbers justify the exspense, if not give them a sector off in the corner of the map someplace and let is be an open pvp zone. But whatever you do keep them out and away from the majority of the player base that wants nothing to do with this.

Cryptic, I think before people continue to spend money on this game hoping for the bug issues and content issues to be addressed, you should clearly come out and make it known you are not going to force feed PvP onto the general and majority of the population, who do not want it. If the type of PvP that allows for social areas to be thrown into lag fested, bomb exploding, greifing, exploting and zone chat insults areas is going to be coming, let us know now.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
12-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Why not pvp instances of each area. when you zone into pi canis for instance a pop up box appears asking you whether you would like open pvp instance or pve instance. you choose then zone. you could also have a check box in your sign in screen that allows you to choose either pve zones or pvp zones in all transitions so you arent bothered with the pop up box if you want a truly immersive pvp experience.

Have no idea if the engine could support this , but its an idea that would keep everyone happy.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:35 AM.