Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
12-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
To tell ya the truth, I think the AGT uniform was designed purposely like that for a specific reason...

The TNG Crew were all supposed to be much older in that part of the AGT episode...,

IMHO... In order to convey that idea, not only were they put in Aged Makeup, but the Uni was designed to give the impression of the way a lot of older people wear their clothing in contemporary society.

My RL job brings me into contact with Seniors on a regular basis and MANY of them, especially the guys wear their pants that high.

It's something that we as a society see on a regular basis and I think that design thought was put into the AGT Future uniforms to help give the viewers a subtle subconscious feeling of "Wow Their Old".


It's probably also the reason many folks around here don't like them, Frumpy is not Chic or cool to the younger crowd.
hmm. that's actually a really good point, and i like where you're going with it. it makes sense.

i did like riker's uniform though. or is that considered a separate part of the debate?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
12-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
To tell ya the truth, I think the AGT uniform was designed purposely like that for a specific reason...

The TNG Crew were all supposed to be much older in that part of the AGT episode...,

IMHO... In order to convey that idea, not only were they put in Aged Makeup, but the Uni was designed to give the impression of the way a lot of older people wear their clothing in contemporary society.

My RL job brings me into contact with Seniors on a regular basis and MANY of them, especially the guys wear their pants that high.

It's something that we as a society see on a regular basis and I think that design thought was put into the AGT Future uniforms to help give the viewers a subtle subconscious feeling of "Wow Their Old".


It's probably also the reason many folks around here don't like them, Frumpy is not Chic or cool to the younger crowd.
The uniform was clearly not just for the old. In "Endgame" we see cadets wearing a differently colored version of it.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Unnamed...l_%28future%29

http://www.geocities.jp/shin1701/vgr-cadet-uniform.html
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
12-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelineAaele View Post
For the same reason I hate the GalX, Andorian ship, Vulcan ship, TOS Connie, NX, TOS Uniforms etc.

They don't belong in this time/time period
It's kinda hard to jump on that bandwagon with you...

Just look around today..., you still see many references to things from our past being Used/Copied/Incorporated into our daily lives...

Vehicles... Furniture... Clothing... They even retro-fit buildings because of nostalgia.



I find it difficult to believe that something so deeply ingrained into our psyches (Nostalgia) will just go away in a few centuries.

While I agree that older ships should not really be able to take on something twice as powerful and win...,

I see no reason why they would not still be around, our love of Nostalgia isn't going to just fade with time.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
12-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilv View Post
Correction, the AGT uniform was seen in 3 separate realities ALL involving this time period.

Again, the uniform was seen in not 1 but 3 distinct and separate time lines. Some (though I'm sure not all) of the things that set them apart were.
(2395) During AGT, the Romulan empire had been taken over by Klingons. Tension between the Klingons and the Federation seemed high and increasing. The Enterprise D was still around. Troi was dead.

(2422) During The visitor, the Dominion war never happened. Tension between the Klingons and the Federation was high but decreasing. The Klingons held DS9. Jadzia Dax was alive and in a relationship w/ Julian. The Enterprise D was destroyed.

(2404) During Endgame, Voyager took 16 years longer to reach Earth. The Klingons and the Federation were friendly enough to care about Janeway's recommendation of Korath. 7/9 along w/ 22 other crew men never made it to Earth. The Dominion war did happen. Jadzia Dax was dead. The Enterprise D was destroyed.

Even w/ these inconsistencies between the time lines the uniform in all 3 was a constant.
Not to mention that in Endgame, Voyager returned home with visual proof of the AGT uniform and combadge. While we don't know exactly how much data was scanned from the shuttlecraft, it's possible that information on when these were to be implemented into use was uncovered.

Since Starfleet goes to such great lengths to keep the timeline preserved, it's very likely that they would use these uniforms.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
12-07-2010, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
Just look around today..., you still see many references to things from our past being Used/Copied/Incorporated into our daily lives...

Vehicles... Furniture... Clothing... They even retro-fit buildings because of nostalgia.
My shoes are well over 5 years old.

Compared to the rate every other woman gets new shoes thats like... 500 years. (or 5000 depending on how much "*censor* in the City" they watch)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Valxocia
Not to mention that in Endgame, Voyager returned home with visual proof of the AGT uniform and combadge. While we don't know exactly how much data was scanned from the shuttlecraft, it's possible that information on when these were to be implemented into use was uncovered.

Since Starfleet goes to such great lengths to keep the timeline preserved, it's very likely that they would use these uniforms.
Ah but that timeline stopped existing when Janeway didn't spend half her life returning to earth.
So different timeline yet again.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
12-07-2010, 11:58 PM
I don't hate it, personally. I just don't really care for it. It's simply a matter of personal taste. Not everyone likes the same things, and I don't really care for the look of the AGT uniforms. Maybe 800 people voted for it, but I was not among them. <shrugs> I've no problem with you liking it, hopefully you've no problem with me disliking it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
12-08-2010, 12:01 AM
To each their own.

Personally, I love the AGT uniforms and cannot wait for them to be released.


Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
12-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
Ah but that timeline stopped existing when Janeway didn't spend half her life returning to earth.
So different timeline yet again.
The point I was making was that Voyager brought visual evidence of both the AGT uniform and combadge back with it. If Starfleet was aware that the uniform was to be implemented in the future, they would adhere to it because the organization believes in, and enforces laws that advocate keeping the timeline preserved.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
12-08-2010, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilv View Post
The uniform was clearly not just for the old. In "Endgame" we see cadets wearing a differently colored version of it.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Unnamed...l_%28future%29

http://www.geocities.jp/shin1701/vgr-cadet-uniform.html
You seemed to have kinda-sorta, missed the point that I was talking 'JUST' about the "ALL GOOD THINGS" episode.

The original appearance of that particular uniform and the original design thought behind it.

Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
12-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valxocia
The point I was making was that Voyager brought visual evidence of both the AGT uniform and combadge back with it. If Starfleet was aware that the uniform was to be implemented in the future, they would adhere to it because the organization believes in, and enforces laws that advocate keeping the timeline preserved.
A different timeline. Not theirs.
It got changed the moment Voyager arrived early. (technically when Janeway traveled back in time but that information is secret)

And not sure if Starfleet would even know about it. Seeing as it is very much hush-hush organization.

But maybe it is moot. *shrug* All that matters is that the pants are waaaaaaaaay too high up. :p
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:43 AM.