Lt. Commander
The rule for the last weekly episodes was that you had until the next weekly series started to finish them for the special prize.

Today I was informed that the special prize was going to end when season 3 dropped. I didnt see this on any major news showcase and even the forums only heard about it with small timetable of warning from Dstahl.

Seriously, what is the harm on waiting to shut off the special prize until the new episodes drop. Christmas time is a busy time for me just like everyone else and to say that I have several characters that have not finished the weeklies is an understatement.

One day the rule is you have until the next weekly is released and then another day its you have until season 3 is released.

I cant even go to the exchange and buy the prize like I could with the Breen BOs because its bound.

Im annoyed becaue Cryptic is less than clear about timetables. If its 4 weeks then say 4 weeks. If it ends when the next series begins say that. If it ends when a new season starts then let us know. Changing timetables are frustrating and I will end up with many characters that lack the prize even though I have a good dozen of them that have been progressing through the weeklies but havent finished them.

The game is supposed to be fun and I shouldnt have to read 1000 posts a day to get an accurate timetable for when prize awards end.

Have a policy and dont change it.

I sort of feel this is a ploy to get me to buy the things in the cstore in the future.

The game is supposed to be fun - not stressful because of changing rules and timetables with little announcement or warning of the changes.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-08-2010, 02:02 AM
Yes, it's a ploy aimed at you specifically. They told the rest of us months ago and made sure you missed the memo because they felt that you personally were not spending enough money in their c-store :p

Kidding aside, it should have been stickied or put somewhere that every can see what the deadline is. But they did mention this fact a month ago and several times between then and now, so it is a simple fact that you missed that notice.

I do totally agree with you though that they should make make a regular policy of when they plan to shut off the special reward.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-08-2010, 02:37 AM
Well obviously I missed that announcement. Are they announcing it in the forums or on the main site becuase this thread alone has over a half million posts. A brief announcement here is not enough. I cant read the 15,000 posts a day that appear here. I doubt that the Cryptic board liason really can either.

I check the calendcer on the main site with regularity. And to mark an end date on the calender would have been helpful.

I spent one weekend playing tribble when I guess I should have been doing the Devidian series because I thought I had time in the future to complete the missions as I had not seen announcements that they were ending soon.

And yes, I do think the prizes will eventually make their way to the c-store and perhaps Im Jaded but I do think Cryptic sees the ending of the weekly awards as a future revenue stream.

There really isnt much harm in allowing people to complete the Devidian missions until the next series is released "unless" they are hoping people will buy product in the future.

I dont mind cryptic making money and Ive written posts expressing my hope that they do. But integrity and communication are also good things.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-08-2010, 05:11 AM
If it does suddenly disappear by stealth I'l be disappointed, as I still haven't put one character through the misions yet. I'd like that cane.

They did have better advertising though for the end of the Breen - I remember an email about it that said "Last chance to get your Breen!" and also there was a huge Launcher Ad with a Breen in it and the exact date it would be withdrawn.

But I do remember seeing a dStahl post about it disappearing with Season 3. Not sure if that meant the day Season 3 released or a week or something after launch?
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-08-2010, 05:57 AM
i have to agree that i missed that little information.... why isn't that IN THE FRIGGEN GAME?
We have this news bulletin popup thingy now, why isn't it used?
There are news in the launcher... no info about these things though.

Not everybody is stalking the Dev Tracker.

gnah...
Just started a new char yesterday and now you tell me tomorrow i can't have the reward anymore?

well i guess i know what I AM going to do for the rest of my day III
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-08-2010, 06:18 AM
Quote:
In addition to the standard mission rewards you’ll receive at the end of each episode, there is a special reward available for completing a Series during its initial release schedule.
What exactly is the timeline for the "initial release schedule"? I suppose it's arbitrary, but the intent is that you run through the episodes early on, not two months after their release. I do agree that future episode series should list on their page the intended cutoff date/event. For example, in the description of the Devidian episodes, it could have said that the special reward will be available until the release of Season 3 instead of "initial release schedule".
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-08-2010, 06:29 AM
While I agree that there should be a clearer notice of when the special reward expires, how does this strip the fun out of the game? The episodes are still there, just as entertaining as they were nearly 2 months ago when they began. You will still get 2 great rewards for completing the series, in addition to the other 4 items you get for completing the previous episodes. I don't think the rewards are soley what makes STO 'fun'.

Either way, looks like I gotta try to get my Fed Tac through tonight after work :p
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-08-2010, 07:06 AM
Clearer notice?

The devs announced months ago that the weekly episodes would offer special rewards that would only be available for a short time. And you know where they announced it?

Here on the forums.

Now if you can't be bothered to read the forums then that's your problem, because that's what the forums are for. Cryptic isn't going to send a Strip-O-Gram to your front door to inform you of the changes. They do that here on the forums, that's one of the reasons they host the forums.

I see a lot of people complaining that stuff changes and they aren't aware of it. Well, Cryptic has gone out of their way to provide a place where they can communicate with the players. There's one catch though! It requires an internet connection to access this special place. Oh wait! You have to have an internet connection to play STO too.

P.S. You don't have to wade through a thousand posts a day, there's this thing called the "Dev Tracker." Click on it one day and find out what it does.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Wait a minute! You guys got Breen Boffs during Season 1?!?!
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zehra
Wait a minute! You guys got Breen Boffs during Season 1?!?!
Yup...one Breen Bridge officer when you completed the last mission of the first series.