Lt. Commander
# 1 Never Listen To Your BoFFs
12-08-2010, 04:51 AM
Right, I was playing the mission where you have to save the Daferi captives from a Breen Patrol. So I'm going through it and my Tactical Officer suggests we attack them and see if they still act cocky (basically). So I go with what she says and I fail the mission...and it would of gotten me to VA1.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-08-2010, 05:11 AM
I actually think this is not the kind of advice a tactical officer should ever give. Sure a tactical officer's highest priority after obeying the Captain's orders is to ensure the safety of ship and crew, but this does not mean suggesting that you should shoot first at a potentially hostile ship to achieve a goal. Even Worf usually just recommended raising shields and maintaining weapon readiness incase they were needed. I think I can recall a couple of times where Worf suggested firing on an enemy ship first, but they were very rare and I chalked them down to his Klingon instincts.

Either way, Starfleet should be drilling into all officers (including tactical) the importance of finding non-hostile solutions to problems unless there is no other choice.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-08-2010, 05:35 AM
Does your boff recommend firing weapons, or just locking weapons on? I thought I remembered them saying something like "let's lock our weapons on and see if they're still cocky" after they suggested I beam her over as an exchange for the captives. I don't see Starfleet firing first, but I wouldn't put just locking the weapons on out of the realm of possibility.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-08-2010, 05:44 AM
This might sound odd but I love the idea of more input from our officers...and not all of it should be good advice either. That way you as a "captain" will have to make the final decision, based on their advice and your gut feeling.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-08-2010, 05:48 AM
That particular message was more of a reaction than a suggestion. How would you feel if someone had suggested you be sold into slavery?

Just remember, with that mission, there is a non-combat solution (unless you're a Klingon).
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-08-2010, 06:17 AM
Well my gut feeling was to blow them sky high. >>
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-08-2010, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan-Jenkins
Well my gut feeling was to blow them sky high. >>
Even with the Deferi captives aboard their ship?
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-08-2010, 07:53 AM
My favorite part of that is how angry your tactical officer is about it. They actually show emotion. I though it funny that I put my Breen officer as my main tactical officer so he's the one angry at the other Breen.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-08-2010, 08:03 AM
The last time I did the mission with my tactical captain, I rescued the Deferi first THEN scattered the Breen across the system. I then waited for the reinforcements and sent them to meet the first. At the end I got this spill from my chief tactical officer about how important it is to find a non-combative solution.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Boffs are never to be trusted, particularly if they have access to cover shield... :p