Lt. Commander
# 1 Questions about Stability
12-08-2010, 06:14 PM
I participated in the beta, from what I remember my computer could run the game ok. Space was great, but land and station environments were more challenging on my hardware.

My question is how much has the game changed since beta? In regards to system and software stability of course.

Better or Worse? How is the Lag? And in all honesty are people jumping ship or is its player population remaining stable.

I loved the starship combat, but it was a bit easy and it felt like the game needed a few updates (particularly in regards to away missions, and stability) to become better.

My System Specs:

Laptop
Windows 7 64-bit
Geforce GTX 260M 1GB
Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz/2.53Ghz
6.00 GB RAM

Thank you for any info or insight you can give.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-08-2010, 07:33 PM
It's gotten more stable in most areas (and if you haven't played since beta - it's gotten A LOT bof additions and features added -- with some REALLY nice ones going Live tomorrow with the Seasin 3 update - disable Astrometrics and sector space looks like space - not a colored paintbox )

Graphics wise ground is still more taxing than space so that hasn't changed; and I reccomend making sure you have the latest video drivers for your card installed as well.

As far as the Easiness factor - on your mission Journal (and also from the game options screen) - you have 3 difficulty settings to choose from:

- Normal (The base level of difficulty that STO had during Beta and at Launch)

- Advanced (Tougher - and you're ship/boff and your character hve a chance to sustain Sytem damage/Injury whenever they are defeated. You can be repaired/healed by new NPCs at Starbases; and other NPCs sell regen kits and component kits that you can keep with you to repair said damage/injury during missions; and your Boffs can be injured to by defeats so you need to watch them too.) Chance for better loot drops too.

- Elite (similar to Advanced only it's harder still and in my experience - as I now only play on Elite - when you are blown up/defeated on the ground you're 99% certain to sustain Ship Damage or receive an injury.) Chance for better loot drops (slightly better than Advanced)