Lt. Commander
# 21
12-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zehra
Nope. I also prefer ground combat. Sadly, no one does ground pvp so I never get to play it.
I've played a couple of rounds, but you're right, the ground PVP is quiet (or is that only when I'm online)
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-09-2010, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddommus View Post
That enjoys ground combat more than space combat? I just find it more interesting and challenging. To me space combat is just circling around pressing buttons. In ground combat there's a lot of movement, and my boffs are more immediate to the actual combat, and there's more interaction with them on the ground...seriously, am I the only one?
No you are not. I do as well. Especially since nearly every space map is cluttered with rocks, It's almost painful being on them at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoinitright View Post
I'm sure it will be an improvement, but i don't know that it will get a lot of people to switch form space to ground.
This will help.
If the ground skills & space skills were drawn from a different pool of skill points(IE, you don't "lose" space skills by speccing for ground combat, & vice verse.) I for one would be more willing to try it. As it is though, To be competitive in PVP in this game, you have to Min/Max your skills, meaning you can either be good at space or ground, or you can spread out your skills & suck at both.Thats the way i see it anyway.
Well there is a way to solve that problem. And that problem is one that limits ground pvp. So incorporate the following idea, for ranking pvp. ( I say ranking, because there should be ranking without a doubt )

For any given pvp match, you must first fight a space then a ground. You get pts for both and the highest wins.
This way, players cant just focus on skills of the best possible ship. They would have to spread out a little. Or just excell at one, and die at the other.
Non ranking pvp, can have just space or ground, but the pro players would want ranking., so to be good, a pro would have to find the best possible way to spread out his skill points between the two, in order to compete in ranking pvp. There would also be, not as many 2 shot killer ships.

This is one of the reason why ground is not popular, not because of the system, but because, people focus thier skills in space. People who try to learn ground, seem to always like it. They just wont play it, because they think thier skills for ground suck. And all the other people, who complain about ground, either do not take the time to learn it, or just like to do space battles period.
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-09-2010, 01:33 AM
50/50 split.

It really depends on my mood of the night wether I want ground or space, but both are pretty fun in my view.

Only problem I have with groundisodes is data samples being buried. :p
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-09-2010, 01:55 AM
Ground combat is awesome. The only problem i had with it was some certain npcs good 1 shot you. I actually use the pause feature to plan my next attack because there is so much going on.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-09-2010, 02:09 AM
i'm a huge fan of ground combat, and while the upcoming changes sound like a good thing, part of me worries they'll take some of the enjoyment out of ground combat for me.

I have to say i disagree with the idea of giving ground skills a separate "points pool" to allow people to still min/max in space... if done it would suggest a massive bias towards PvP as the main point of the game, which i firmly believe it isnt. In life some people excel in areas others do not, and a good space captain may have awful ground combat skills (Picard springs to mind.. the guy was almost untouchable in space but in personal combat often got his rear handed to him, or stabbed in the back by naussicans..) so to allow everyone to completely min/max both ground and space unbalances the PvE side in favour of the PvP.

I have a friend starting STO soon, and explaining the subtle ploys of ground combat to him is something i'm looking forward to greatly!
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-09-2010, 02:15 AM
I was really looking forward to the ground combat changes, but now that they are pushed back to S4, it will likely be even better So, just take your time and make it good!

However, i dont like ground combat more then space, but i like it too. With my KDF tactical i actually spent some points in ground skills, to improve her weapon damage, and it it (ofcourse) a huge diffrence, and thus, more fun
People should just try it out more and specc for ground.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-09-2010, 02:30 AM
I think as it evolves....we'll come to enjoy both ends of the donkeys tail that much better.

I like it too, and from my understanding...it's due to get much much better.......

Cheers !
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-09-2010, 02:41 AM
I prefer ground Combat ( I like to see my BOs) I also really like space combat. ( may prefer space if it were from the bridge (option)
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-09-2010, 04:03 AM
Ground seems to have gotten easier. I think that reflects my evolution as a player more than revision of the ground "rules." Between talking to others in game chat and here on the forums I have identified a build that works to keep me alive on advanced. Also going onto YouTube and watching videos of ground PvP really helped to give me a better sense of how to use the cover we do have in PvE.

That does not mean I do not look forward to the Season 4 ground combat revamp.

The problem is this has reduced the load on me to the point that bugs do stand out. Like when an enemy action interrupts your special attack and gives you a cool down anyways or when setting off a string of combat skills as quick as you can results in one or more that do not go off and you have to go back and reactivate them, which nets in a reduced alpha strike, or the dramatic delay between when you hit a hypo and when it delivers it's instant heal.

All said I prefer space to ground still as space feels less buggy to me. At least I do not dread ground the way i once did and at times I even look forward to it.