Lt. Commander
# 1 Low Disk Space
12-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Some time ago I noticed that the constant STO patches were taking up a lot of space on my hard drive, so I decided to install STO on my 1 TB external disk and delete it from my main hard drive. However, when I put STO on the external disk, a separate copy of STO was automatically installed by the launcher on the main hard drive as well. Now with the Season 3 patch, there's barely 500 MB of space on my main hard drive. My question is, if I delete the hard drive copy of STO (again) but keep it on the external, will STO work properly, or will the launcher try to place another copy on the main drive?
This also raises another potential problem for many players. The update patches are very much appreciated, but each time a new one comes out, the game gets bigger. So imagine a brand new player buys the game right now hoping he can get on tonight. First he'll have to wait a few hours for all the updates to be downloaded and installed. He may even have to free up more drive space than he counted on. How long will a complete download of updates take after season 4 or 5? This could eventually become a big problem.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Did you uninstall and then reinstall the game and choose your new external drive as the default location?

Just moving a bunch of files yourself never works. Games are installed to wherever you originally chose. If you move the files, it just thinks they are missing and won't work or downloads them again. How's the game supposed to know you moved the files?

I haven't tried it with STO, but for most games you need to actually go through the install process again and pick your new location to install to.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-09-2010, 07:26 PM
That's what I thought I did. I deleted it from my hard drive and then reinstalled it choosing my external drive as the primary location. But when I turned on the launcher and began the update download, it was installed in the primary hard drive as well.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Okay, I deleted the copy of STO from the primary hard drive and sure enough, the launcher wanted to download all the updates to the primary drive as if there was no copy in the external drive. So, I deleted STO from the primary and external drives and removed the program from the control panel. Then I reinstalled it on the external drive and brought up the launcher. The updates are downloading to the external right now, but they're also downloading to the primary drive. How do I stop this? Why is STO being copied to the primary drive as well? I don't get it. And I need it on the external drive, not the primary drive, or I'll run out of storage space. Help!
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Did you simply delete the folder, or uninstall STO properly with the uninstaller? You should uninstall STO, then reinstall to the external drive.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Ah, that's the problem. I only deleted the folder. I'll uninstall and then reinstall on the external and see what happens. Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-09-2010, 10:33 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I went through the same thing. I made up new and interesting curse words along the way.