Lt. Commander
So, i'm trying to make a starter mission. First I'm sending the player to the sublevel of ESD where I've linked one of the doors to a custom interior where my objectives are.

Then, I want the player to go to Andoria. Problem is, I can't find a way to get the player OFF the custom map.

I either want to get the player to his Ship where he can fly to Andoria...or get him back to ESD.

I can't find a way to do either...the only thing I can manage to do is beam him directly from my custom map (which is supposedly located at ESD) straight to his ship in my Andorian custom space map.

any tips?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-10-2010, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangover_Boy
So, i'm trying to make a starter mission. First I'm sending the player to the sublevel of ESD where I've linked one of the doors to a custom interior where my objectives are.

Then, I want the player to go to Andoria. Problem is, I can't find a way to get the player OFF the custom map.

I either want to get the player to his Ship where he can fly to Andoria...or get him back to ESD.

I can't find a way to do either...the only thing I can manage to do is beam him directly from my custom map (which is supposedly located at ESD) straight to his ship in my Andorian custom space map.

any tips?
Yeah, right now, you can't incorporate sector space travel into the Foundry, so you pretty much have to either make the player go straight from ESD to your custom map, or make the player travel in sector space to the system to play your custom map from the beginning.

One thing that you could do is beam the player onto one of the ship interiors (put forth as their ship interior), making them complete an objective en route to Andoria, with the BO popups announcing the travel toward the system.

Another option: It could be a two part mission, with the first part happening on ESD, and the second part requiring a player travel to Andoria to play part 2.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post

One thing that you could do is beam the player onto one of the ship interiors (put forth as their ship interior), making them complete an objective en route to Andoria, with the BO popups announcing the travel toward the system.

This is what I've pretty much decided to do. I also have to think of things for the player to do on the ship. But this will give everyone that "bridge travel" feature they've been wanting
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-11-2010, 01:21 AM
Transitioning is proving to be my sticking point with the Foundry. It all comes down to two simple words with a confusing meaning : Leave From. Things I've noticed:

1. If you're transitioning From a "Cryptic Map" (not a custom copy), you can specify a mission door to leave "from", and you can choose a sector space "door" to leave from (which is badically where your ship/team will appear afterwards), even if it's nowhere near where the player is. (Zero could explain it better.)

2. If you're transitioning from a custom map to a custom map, there is no way to "force" the player to traverse sector space to go the next part. The player will just be BAMFed there automagically. Ground, or space. If you try to change the Leave From location from Whole Map, you will learn (to your dismay) that the map is locked - you can't choose any other map.

Fun fact - in the editor, when you're previewing it, you may get warp out or beam out animations, and maybe an away team selector if you're transitioning to the ground, but once published. you WON'T. Or, at least I don't.

3. Transitioning from, a custom map to a Cryptic map. Try to avoid doing this, at all costs, for a few reasons:

First, you can't really test it in the editor. When you get to your transition point, the Exit system/Beam to Ship button will do nothing. This means you can't test any parts of your mission that come after that - if the transition shows up in your story with just the name of the map you are leaving, and the map you are going to, this is the point I'm talking about.

When you actually publish the mission and play it, warping/beaming out will drop you * at the last point you transitioned from a Cryptic map to a custom map. *

Meaning, if you used a system in sector space as a door, the game will drop you there. If you used a potted plant in spacedock as a mission door because you didn't quite understand the Leave From box, you'll end up standing back at your potted plant. (Don't ask...)

Second problem - as long as the mission is still in progress, that "door" * will still be active. * This can confuse the player when he gets whatever interact/enter system/examine pastry button you used to force the transition, again.

Suggestions:
1. Give us full control over that green transition box from Heck. And I mean full control - allow us to specify exactly WHERE it drops us, be it sector space, a Cryptic Map, a custom map, anywhere. Allow us to choose whether we want the place to be forced to travel to the next location himself, or to just transition him there.
2. Allow us to "link" our custom maps to Cryptic maps, so that if we make a custom version of the Bajor system, the game would know to make a transition door at the "real" Bajoran system in sector space. (Yes, the whole transitioning without so much as a warp out effect annoys me artistically)
3. Make doors "clear" themselves after they've been used to avoid confusing the players and annoying the mission creator.

EDIT: One last thing... can we have a way to take screenshots in the Foundry?

That's all for now.