Lt. Commander
Except that if you later prove to the people running the game show Jeopardy that you gave an answer that actually was correct that they called incorrect, the very least they'll do is reinstate your prize, and usually they'll give you another crack at it.

I just had a monumentally frustrating First contact mission wherein they asked a question about Voyager and how they got to the Delta Quadrant. The third answer was obviously baloney, but the first two went something like this:

"Several ships, the USS Voyager among them, were pulled to the Delta Quadrant by a being known as a Caretaker."

and

"The USS Voyager chased a Maquis ship into an area known as the badlands, where they were pulled to the Delta Quadrant by a spatial anomaly."

Both answers are correct! The spatial anomaly was artificial and that answer gave no mention of the Caretakers, but it was not incorrect. The first answer made me leery about the word "several" and the fact that it did not mention the Maquis. I picked the second answer and the first contact guy was all "Are you sure about that?"

This is very frustrating to me. Jiro, you owe me 10 DXP!
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Voyager didn't "chase" a maquis ship. The first 5 minutes of the first episode show the maquis ship being hit by a displacement wave and sent to the delta quadrant w/o voyager anywhere near them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps7mnuwi4YQ

Then, week(s) later Janeway recruits Paris, Kim arrives on the ship, and they make for DS9. After a pit stop at DS9 they follow the last known heading of the Maquis ship. But this occurred weeks later, hardly a chase. More of "following the cold trail". Voyager didnt "chase" a maquis ship into the badlands, a Galor cruiser captained by Gul Ivek did (see link above).

Also, "spatial anomaly" is usually used to refer to natural or quasi-natural things in Star Trek. You wouldn't call a tractor beam a spatial Anomaly, though its effects are similar to many spatial anomalies. Voyager (and a bunch of other ships) were pulled in by an intergalactic tractor beam (essentially) used by the Caretaker array.

Its like a multiple choice test, your given options that are blatantly false (to catch individuals that don't know the material at all), an option that is kind of or partially true (to mislead and or confuse individuals that have a rough recollection of the material) and an answer that is 100% true but similar to the partially true answer.

Now I had too look some of the stuff above up because I haven't seen Voyager in a long while, but one thing that stood out immediately when I first read your post was that the first option mentioned the Caretaker who was a huge part of the first two episodes and whose species was mentioned multiple times and recurred at least in one other episode. Spatial Anomaly on the other hand is always a very vague way to describe something.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-11-2010, 09:40 AM
But it is not an untrue way of referring to it. Voyager did give chase - it wasn't a hot pursuit, but you're still chasing someone if you're nowhere near them. And it was a spatial anomaly; not a natural one, but not a single thing in that answer was untrue.

And for that matter, I question how some schmucks we're making first contact with would know the material well enough to give a "gotcha!" quiz on the matter.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDragon8685 View Post
But it is not an untrue way of referring to it. Voyager did give chase - it wasn't a hot pursuit, but you're still chasing someone if you're nowhere near them. And it was a spatial anomaly; not a natural one, but not a single thing in that answer was untrue.

And for that matter, I question how some schmucks we're making first contact with would know the material well enough to give a "gotcha!" quiz on the matter.
By that logic I can say my tractor beam, phasers, and tachyon beam are all spatial anomalies. In the shows spatial anomalies are almost always natural.

Also in your original post you have:
"The USS Voyager chased a Maquis ship into an area known as the badlands".
Voyager did not chase the Maquis ship INTO the badlands. Period. It may have "given chase" (as you put it) afterwords, but the Galor captained by Gul Ivek was the ship that actually chased the Maquis ship into the badlands. The Maquis ship was fleeing the Galor, not Voyager; therefore, the Maquis ship was chased into the badlands by the Galor, not voyager.

That alone makes it untrue. Regardless of any other points the above means your answer was fundamentally incorrect. The Spatial Anaomaly vs. Caretaker array adds ambiguity because of technobabble (spatial anomaly is never clearly defined, particularly artificial/natural distinctions), but that is irrelevant since the first part of the statement is incorrect thereby making the entire choice incorrect.

So part of the second choice is simply wrong (read: untrue) and part of it is ambiguous. The first is completely unambiguous and fully accurate.

In multiple choice you go for the best and most accurate choice (duh). In this case a 100% accurate answer versus an ambiguous and incorrect answer.

"And for that matter, I question how some schmucks we're making first contact with would know the material well enough to give a "gotcha!" quiz on the matter. "

If that's your biggest complaint about diplomacy (or dialogue in general) in sto, well I would have to suppose that you haven't been reading much of the dialogue (atm there's a thread on one of the forum sections about the Borg Government not condoning the actions of a rogue borg cell....lol). First contacts are an abstraction for some non-shooting content, nothing more.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoOverdose View Post
By that logic I can say my tractor beam, phasers, and tachyon beam are all spatial anomalies. In the shows spatial anomalies are almost always natural.
Absolutely not.

Pretty much anything that makes the ship's crew go 'wut?' is a spatial anomaly, along with certain kinds of well-known and replicable 'things that should not be' like (as used in this game) an artificial gravity well without assosciated mass and whatever the heck a Tyken's Rift is. For the biggest example, the anti-time anomaly in All Good Things, which was artificial in multiple ways. Also the breach into another universe in the alien abduction TNG episode. And that a great many of the scannable 'anomalies' in the game are technological artifacts.

I absolutely agree that the two answers highlighted in the OP are correct except in purposely pedantic interpretations. And I'm also not a fan of Diplomacy missions shaking down to trivia quizzes.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Semantics... The Voyager followed, not chased.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenking
Semantics... The Voyager followed, not chased.
One thing I saw was the VOY pilot:

The Maquis ship was transported to the DQ weeks before the Voyager ship; so, sorry, the 'chased a Maquis ship' is incorrect. The maquios ship WAS being chased by a Cardassian warship - not by Voyager.