Lt. Commander
# 1 Sector Space display choices
12-11-2010, 08:53 AM
While I appreciate the work that was done on the new sector space, it doesn't feel like Trek. Why not give the users a choice in how they want sector space to be displayed?

Allow the user to choose between the old grid and the new grid.
Allow the user to choose to display the trade routes.
Allow the user to choose between the old suns and the new suns.
Allow the user to choose between the old planets and the new planets.

I myself like the new astrometrics suns but prefer the old planets.

For those that argue that the old sector space wasn't realistic and that the new sector space is realistic: Sector space is displayed while you are traveling at warp. When you travel at warp, you are not traveling in normal space, but subspace. Even if you could see things in normal space while you are in subspace, which you cannot (reference the shows, where all you saw out the windows while they were at warp were lights streaming by, also reference the Next Generation episode where they encountered the Dyson's Sphere, while they could detect the gravity well, since gravity permeates into subspace, they had to drop out of warp to see what was there), since you are effectively traveling faster than the speed of light, you would not be able to see anything in the 180 degrees behind the ship because the light wouldn't be able to catch up to you, and by the time light reached you from the 180 degrees in front of the ship, you could already be past the thing that the light was coming from.

Bottom line, the old sector space represented looking at a holographic map of normal space while you were traveling at warp, and felt very Trek-like. The new sector space, while certainly interesting looking, just doesn't feel like Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Seriously?

With all of the other threads already on the forums about this exact same topic you really had to start yet another one?

By the way, the forum does have a SEARCH function. In the future you may wish to consider using it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-12-2010, 07:43 AM
More options are always good but the new sector space looks and feels perfectly trek like to me and as far as I'm aware warp drive doesn't put you in subspace...
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen666 View Post
as far as I'm aware warp drive doesn't put you in subspace...
Yes, yes it does. Even in Trek, you can't go faster than the speed of light. Warp pushes your ship into subspace, which is sort of like a compressed version of normal space. Think of it like a sphere. The surface is normal space. Warp pushes you into the sphere. The higher your warp, the further into subspace you are pushed, and the smaller distance in subspace you need to travel to get to a particular point in normal space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon
With all of the other threads already on the forums about this exact same topic you really had to start yet another one?
There may be other threads discussing the new sector space versus the old sector space, but none of them speak about my suggestions. It would be wrong for me to hijack someone else's thread.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-14-2010, 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OronBerg
There may be other threads discussing the new sector space versus the old sector space, but none of them speak about my suggestions. It would be wrong for me to hijack someone else's thread.
No, when a thread is talking about suggestions for sector space putting your suggestions in that thread is what you're supposed to do.

Oh well, nowdays everyone is a special snowflake that deserves their very own thread. That's why whenever something happens on this forum I can't ever just read the thread about it. Cause there's always 50 threads about it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
Oh well, nowdays everyone is a special snowflake
Oh tell me about it. Like all those posters who have to apply distracting custom colours/fonts to every post of theirs.

>.>

:p
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OronBerg
Yes, yes it does. Even in Trek, you can't go faster than the speed of light. Warp pushes your ship into subspace, which is sort of like a compressed version of normal space. Think of it like a sphere. The surface is normal space. Warp pushes you into the sphere. The higher your warp, the further into subspace you are pushed, and the smaller distance in subspace you need to travel to get to a particular point in normal space.

The subspace claim doen't appear on Memory Alpha, only Beta has any in depth discussion... Funny bubble comparsion as well...

You want everyone to pay attention to you instead of joining in on an exisitng discussion about proposals to fine tune the new sector space? Fair enough but you really should have made that clear from the start.

Fundamentally though the current sector space is perfectly fine and perfectly trek like, so no I would not support additonal dev resources based on your rational.

PS: Doppler shift
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-17-2010, 03:47 AM
Wow. The EGO of some on these forums is amazing. Can't you people simply say "Here's the thread where this is talked about (provide link) instead of some sarcastic jab or insult?

I'd actually point to the fact that "WARP" was a reflection of the old TOS "Time Warp Factor 5". Or how about:

"By using a matter/antimatter reactor to create plasma, and by sending this plasma through warp coils, he (Zefram Cochrane) created a warp bubble which he could use to move a craft into subspace and hence exceed the speed of light. This successful first trial led directly to first contact with the Vulcans."

Reference : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warp_drive_%28Star_Trek%29

Gene Roddenberry is turning over in his grave right now.

*shakes head*

Regards,
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
No, when a thread is talking about suggestions for sector space putting your suggestions in that thread is what you're supposed to do.
Incorrect. If you are participating in a discussion forum, and the topic you want to speak about already has a thread, then yes, you do not create a separate thread. However, this is a feedback/suggestions forum. Each suggestion is meant to be in a thread of it's own with a meaningful title. Or do you really think the developers have the time to wade through each and every post in every thread? No. They read the first post of each thread, maybe browse the supporting posts in that thread, and then they move on to the next thread.

From here on, I'm leaving this to the moderators.