Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
12-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
Hmm, what did DJ Curtis say about the Century? I can't find it.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...2&postcount=15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
it's not a kitbash, it's a melding. I can't draw that latter. Kitbashing is the extent of my drawing skill. I'm just trying to get the idea across. I'm hoping Cryptic's designers have better artistic skill than I do when they go to build it in game.

Originality: going against the sleekness everyone has latched onto and sticking with a traditional design. But I have no desire to see a Sovereign saucer on an Excelsior body. I want to see the two ideas meld into a new class of ship.

I just can't draw worth s***.
Bob, thats the spirit of the contest. You don't have to have the best drawing, just a great concept. Just add text with descriptions along with your sketch and presto.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
12-11-2010, 04:17 PM
I saw that one before. There are youtube videos of that ship fighting Romulans and Klingons. I've also seen an entry of that fan made Excalibur Class ship. The first time I ever saw that ship was the Star Trek vs. Star Wars mod for Star Trek Armada. It took forever to build it, but it was good ship, I just don't think it would make a very good Enterprise.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
12-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
What do you think?
I'd be careful.

Directly lifting copyrighted material and reassembling it without author permission for the purposes of a contest goes beyond "fair use."

It's a nice ship, it's just that I wouldn't use Drex's original work cut and pasted in parts of the design.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
12-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I'd be careful.

Directly lifting copyrighted material and reassembling it without author permission for the purposes of a contest goes beyond "fair use."

It's a nice ship, it's just that I wouldn't use Drex's original work cut and pasted in parts of the design.
I read the rules. You are allowed to use Star Trek material for you submissions. As for the copyright owner of the image I "kitbashed" from, I considered it fair use because I have seen that image on multiple websites and none of them had attribution. (I didn't know it was a Drex work until now) And since CBS ultimately owns the license for the material and they gave us their blessing to use it, I see no problem.

Worst case: they pull my submission and it gets placed next to the images from other games. I wish I could draw better, but it is what it is. This was the best way to represent my vision. If they ultimately say I violated the rules, then so be it.

Edit: I went back and did a broad brush painting over the entire ship. That way it kept the shape but should alleviate any copyright issues.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
12-11-2010, 04:42 PM
the century is just beautiful. i could see that being entered and actually winning. if DJ ever did put it up...id vote for it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
12-11-2010, 04:50 PM
I changed it: New submission

Of course without texture, it looks like the Excelsior. But at least I'll keep the copyright owner off my back.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
12-11-2010, 05:01 PM
whats sad is in the last two minutes ive viewed the submissions for the new Ent..ive seen atleast three people submitting images of the Century as their own.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
12-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance86
whats sad is in the last two minutes ive viewed the submissions for the new Ent..ive seen atleast three people submitting images of the Century as their own.
Well, those will get kicked out by the Judges. I see I'm submission 760, if 500 of them are Century classes, that means there are only 260 entries (minus the pictures from STO, other games, pictures of the submitter himself, etc)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
12-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
I changed it: New submission

Of course without texture, it looks like the Excelsior. But at least I'll keep the copyright owner off my back.
Much better, but I'm pretty sure the rules say 1 entry per person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance86
the century is just beautiful. i could see that being entered and actually winning. if DJ ever did put it up...id vote for it.
He can't because he's Canadian, not to mention the rules might conflict with hit being already an existing BC mod.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
12-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Much better, but I'm pretty sure the rules say 1 entry per person.
Hey, if I could change my original, I would. But alas, the website sucks....
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:48 PM.